Car guys - give me some advice

guitarbilly74

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Pass on the ford, go Jap, besides you'd never get a 4-12 in a stang, you need a hatchback.

I've found that cars are just like guitars, for everyone i let go by, there will be 10 more just like it or better come my way.

As long as your looking, it's not a question of "if" you'll get a car, more like when.:thu:

• Members

A friend of a friend is trying to sell a 1996 Mustang - I don't think it's the GT or the Cobra just the std- for $1500 and he's willing to take the $1000 I have and the other $500 in 2 payments. To me, it sounds like a good deal because at the moment I can't really afford a bunch of car payments, but is this a good car?? I am mainly concerned about reliability, I don't want to have a car the is known to be unreliable.

People bash American cars all the time but I had a '93 Saturn for well over 10 years with minimum problems.

What do you guys think?? yay or nay??

after 20+ years on the same chassis they are solid cars. the parts are dirt cheap too. that being said the mids 90's v6 was a total dog, but if you are ok with it's performance (or lack there of) it should be a good care for $1500.

• Members

I would'nt do it:cop: Look for a Toyota or something:thu:
;)

I'm having a hard time finding something Japanese in that price range that is not like 10 years older or has twice as much miles. I could get something more expensive but that would mean having a car payment and times are though a the moment.

• Members

Ok....If it's not a GT or Cobra it'll be a V-6. The six that they used in that car is a 3.8 When Ford built that motor, they needed a v-6 on the market quickly and they didn't have anything in the works, so they essentially copied Buick's famed 3800 (232) engine. Buick's V-6 is one of the most reliable v-type engines ever made, so the bottom end of that motor is pretty much rock solid. However, Ford fouled it up and used cheap head gaskets and aluminum heads. Thus, nearly every 3.8 v-6 they produced had head gasket problems (read: expensive). I'm working on a '92 Sable right now that I bought for $40 that has a blown head gasket...the engine in that car is the FWD variant of that Mustang's engine.

For whatever reason, the head gasket issue is not as common in the 'Stangs as it is the Sables, Tauruses, and Windstars. However, you will still need to be hyper vigilant about coolant and oil levels. Ford recalled those engines, I believe, but I think that car is too old to take advantage of the recall now.

If the head gaskets are swapped out with good ones, that engine will outlast the rest of the car. If the tranny is a manual, you have one of the best drivetrains Ford has used in recent history.

If the car is nice and has been taken care of, buy it. I generally don't like that kind of car, but I'd own one of those Mustangs in a heartbeat.

QFT...

Anything with a Buick 3.8 liter would be a good buy. They can be had for cheap and high mileage isn't a big deal because those engines are indestructible if they're maintained properly.

• Members

When you mentioned a car that old, my mind went immediately to mileage. I can't tell you anything good about domestics after about 100000km ~ 60000m. If it seems like it's got lots of life left in it, I'd call it a good deal. If he's well off, he might have taken it to a mechanic every time there was something slightly off, which is usually a good thing. When cars are over 10 years old in Canada, one needs a safety inspection in order for it to be insured. I would say that you should ask him to pay for an inspection. If it passes, reimburse him, but if he wants his asking price, he should pay to repair any inadequacies of said inspection.

My Jeep has 200K miles on the original clutch, engine, everything and runs as good as the day I bought it.

:poke:

Your prejudice is showing.

• Members

My Jeep has 200K miles on the original clutch, engine, everything and runs as good as the day I bought it.

:poke:

Your prejudice is showing.

My old Saturn (RIP :cry: ) also had 198K on the original engine, transmission and clutch and ran like new until the crash. I miss it :(

• Members

You know what 'Ford' stands for don't you??

F-ucking

O-wner

R-eally

D-umb

I would'nt do it:cop: Look for a Toyota or something:thu:
;)

More like

F irst

O n

R ace

D ay

You seriously need to learn about Fords history in racing; I own both a Honda Accord 98' and 70' Mercury Cougar XR-7 and I can tell you what My cougar is a {censored}ing beast and is almost 40 yrs and still starts up and runs fine.

Archived