Most overrated amp?

Armchair Bronco

• Members

I'm also going to go against the grain(Sheik:evil:) and also vote Recto's. I can get good tones, I can get useable tones, I can get tones other people love, but they are just not the amplifier for me. They sound jumbled and mixed up... and well... I wonder why there's tubes in them at all sometimes... :idk:

-Curtis

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm also going to go against the grain(Sheik:evil:) and also vote Recto's. I can get good tones, I can get useable tones, I can get tones other people love, but they are just not the amplifier for me. They sound jumbled and mixed up... and well... I wonder why there's tubes in them at all sometimes...
:idk:

-Curtis

Et tu, Brute? :cry:

You're still just bitter that Andy Timmons dumped Laney for Mesa! :p

• Members

IMO, EVERY AMP THAT COSTS MORE THAN $2K IS OVERRATED.

How can it not be? I hear and see (in terms of quality and features) a discernible difference between most $2 amps (of course there are exceptions). But, above the $2K price point, I have no idea what people are paying for. I just don't hear or see significant differences that justify the value in most of these amps. IME, I don't know how these amps can possibly live up to the prices they command.

that's just not right.

first off- human labor costs money. R&D costs money, good parts cost money. woodwork and tolex cost money. shipping and stocking cost money. replacement parts costs money. manning phones costs money. a website costs money. advertising and business operation cost money.

if you add up EXPENSES, amps could cost WAAAY more than $2k. everyone isn't a multinational corporation with 500 employees, so the guys building boutique amps wear a lot of hats in places in the U.S., not in factories in Taiwan, Vietnam, Korea, China, Mexico, etc.

trust me-- it's a rare man getting rich building boutique amps. people used to ask me the same things 'gee.. why's it cost so much to build custom bookshelves? i can buy them at ikea for $200...' my answer was always the same 'go to ikea then'.

• Members

IMO, EVERY AMP THAT COSTS MORE THAN $2K IS OVERRATED.

How can it not be? I hear and see (in terms of quality and features) a discernible difference between most $2 amps (of course there are exceptions). But, above the $2K price point, I have no idea what people are paying for. I just don't hear or see significant differences that justify the value in most of these amps. IME, I don't know how these amps can possibly live up to the prices they command.

Easily. My friend (an amp tech) is about to finish his project on a handwired all ptp mesa dual rectifier built with very expensive components. The parts themselves (esp. the trannies) cost him over $1800.

• Members

I don't think price plays into an amp being over-rated.

I respectfully disagree. The Price versus Value relationship is fundamental to how consumers make most decisions. Value, in terms of amps, is really how we rate amps in terms of our expectations for tone, features, volume, reliability, etc...

So, if you agree with this consumer research, then I think the higher we rate an amp directly influences how much we are willing to pay for that amp. It is my opinion that no amp possesses qualities that make it worth more than $2K -- therefore, such amps are "overrated."

Of course, how much any individual is willing to pay for an amp is highly subjective. Some will say I'm full of crap and their $4K amp is amazing beyond belief, and others will say that all amps greater than $900 are overrated.

• Members

I respectfully disagree. The Price versus Value relationship is fundamental to how consumers make most decisions. Value, in terms of amps, is really how we rate amps in terms of our expectations for tone, features, volume, reliability, etc...

So, if you agree with this consumer research, then I think the higher we rate an amp directly influences how much we are willing to pay for that amp. It is my opinion that no amp possesses qualities that make it worth more than $2K -- therefore, such amps are "overrated."

Of course, how much any individual is willing to pay for an amp is highly subjective. Some will say I'm full of crap and their $4K amp is amazing beyond belief, and others will say that all amps greater than $900 are overrated.

Also remember cost of parts, WHERE the amp is made (labor) and crossing countries can play into the price and hype of an amp. Apparently in Europe Mesa Boogies are very sought after

• Members
Didn't know that about the Red Bears. I should have guessed they were mainly Export amps with all the Soviet era cosmetics. Seemed a bit contrived and over the top. Similar to buying a US made amp and getting a free Cowboy hat, Budweiser, and handgun
;):idk:

I lol'd pretty hard at that. :lol:

Interesting about the Sovteks, but I'm guessing we play different styles of music. Anyway, they're viewed the same way here in the US. I don't understand why, because I've used them before with great results. Very similar to vintage Fenders, but with a bit more bite and growl.
:evil:

I've been blown away by the couple I've played. I had an early Mig 60 clone ~ made by Scott Splawn, of all folks! ~ for a while as my main amp, and it was :love:! And more recently, I had a Mig 50H (not the Bassman clone; the "h" is for "high gain") ~ incredibly RAWK beast, indeed! :rawk:
Just wish it had had an fx loop...

• Members
No it's not, thousands of people don't own one. :poke:

Hey you know what,.. being a nice guy that I am, I will prevent you from getting mesa butthurt in the future. Sell me your Road King and get yourself a nice amp. You can than me later :thu:

• Members
that's just not right.

first off- human labor costs money. R&D costs money, good parts cost money. woodwork and tolex cost money. shipping and stocking cost money. replacement parts costs money. manning phones costs money. a website costs money. advertising and business operation cost money.

"Come on, Jazz, I got my balls in a bunch. Bills cost money. Karate class costs money. Propapalactics cost money..."

MV5BMTIzNzAxMjU4M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwODQy

:lol:

• Members
My friend has one (brown wood fender), and I think it sounds awesome, nice breakup.

I do agree that if you want to buy one, its wayyy overpriced because of the sucky vintage market.

He paid hardly anything for it, he's had it for quite a few years. My Gibson ES-120T sounds like
:love:
through it.

I was joking :confused:

Vintage Fenders seem to be cheaper than most boutique amps. I got my brown Fender for $1000.

• Members
Hey you know what,.. being a nice guy that I am, I will prevent you from getting mesa butthurt in the future. Sell me your Road King and get yourself a nice amp. You can than me later
:thu:

Nah, I'm not the butthurt one, remember? :p

I'm perfectly happy with my RK. So is my band, everyone who has heard it, and numerous local musicians who have played through it and were all jealous as hell when they were finished, including the band November who begged me to borrow it last night to lay down some tracks for their upcoming new record because they felt it kicked the living {censored} out of their guitarist's JCM800. (He's selling it, btw, if you're interested to help fund his own RKII purchase!)

I'm sorry for you that your tweaking skills are so lacking, though; please consider my open invitation to join me for some tweaking tips the next time you're stateside! :thu:

• Members

Do I think some amps cost too much, yes. But that doesn't mean they are overrated.

Yes it does. That is the most basic and fundamental determination. Everything you gain (amps, groceries, cars, time, a job, or anything in life) is valued and rated relative to it's corresponding cost or sacrifice. The concepts are not separable. I love economics!

Example:

If you love JCM800 amps and you could by a new one for $300, you'd probably think it's a great value and that it's price versus value (features, tone, etc...) are "under-rated" relative to the price.

Conversely, if the same amp was priced at $3,000, you'd probably think it was "over-rated" because of the new price versus value relationship.

• Members

Let me guess, you work for minimum wage? Or do you feel that every amp should be made in Chinese sweat shops with absolutely zero profit margin?

Nope, not at all. There are US manufacturers that produce hand-made high quality amps that sound awesome and can be purchased for $1500 to $2000. These manufacturers are successful, use high quality components, and are profitable.

Then there are other manufacturers that produce similar amps for $3000 or $4000. To me, these amps are no better and do not justify the price differential -- hence, IMO, these amps must be over-rated because they don't live up to that price premium.

• Members

Nope, not at all. There are US manufacturers that produce hand-made high quality amps that sound awesome and can be purchased for $1500 to $2000. These manufacturers are successful, use high quality components, and are profitable.

Then there are other manufacturers that produce similar amps for $3000 or $4000. To me, these amps are no better and do not justify the price differential -- hence, IMO, these amps must be over-rated because they don't live up to that price premium.

I replied to your remark, but you ignored it. You obviously don't know much about amp building. Neither do I, for that matter. But I do understand how much it can cost to build a decent machine. Check the prices on some nice trannies to get an idea of how wrong you are.

Archived