The most "uncompressed" amp?

petejt

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

is my spelling bad? i thought i had spell check:confused:

Just yanking your chain, but if I were to correct the post quoted it would go as follows:

Am I wrong to say that we need a certain amount of compression in our amps? Isn't what creates overdrive the inability of a tube to amplify the input further which drives it into saturation? Think of that great Marshall sag. It cannot supply what is demanded of it!

A bit better. Mostly it's issues of capitalization (first letters of sentences and I) and punctuation (isn't, not isnt) but that second sentence was just awkwardly worded. The last sentence as well.

Don't sweat it dude :p

• Members

I really really like the level of compression on my JMP. It isn't too much, JUST right. Adding a boost to the amp when I've got the power tubes working had seems to add too much for me. Kills the dynamics and such. I haven't found a boost pedal that doesn't kill my dynamics :(

• Members

^ well, boost pedals generally have a certain degree of compression to them in general, and that's often desirable for what they are used for. But if you want a really dynamic (IMO) boost pedal I think the Fulldrive and the BB Preamp are both very good. IMO again.

• Members

Just yanking your chain, but if I were to correct the post quoted it would go as follows:

Am I wrong to say that we need a certain amount of compression in our amps? Isn't what creates overdrive the inability of a tube to amplify the input further which drives it into saturation? Think of that great Marshall sag. It cannot supply what is demanded of it!

A bit better. Mostly it's issues of capitalization (first letters of sentences and I) and punctuation (isn't, not isnt) but that second sentence was just awkwardly worded. The last sentence as well.

Don't sweat it dude
:p

no sweat, as long as it wasnt totally wrong. im 42 , a construction worker, i havent had much reason to write, or spell! you should see me write:lol:

• Members

I really really like the level of compression on my JMP. It isn't too much, JUST right. Adding a boost to the amp when I've got the power tubes working had seems to add too much for me. Kills the dynamics and such. I haven't found a boost pedal that doesn't kill my dynamics
:(

Yeah, this is why I don't like boost pedals much, especially with my 2204. It screws up the "feel." The RC Booster is the best I've found, but it still does it to a degree.

• Members

Well that's one definition of it, yes. A 100% compressed tone has everything at the same volume (except absolute silence). However, the way distortion works on a waveform is by chopping off the peaks of the amplitude of the input signal - which, when you think about it, is compression, because if it weren't for the distortion (clipping) the wave-form's amplitude would be greater. Hence, you can't have distortion without compression. That was what I meant (and I presume what imgooley meant too).

And this too.

• Members

I agree that the Roland JC line is uncompressed.

Of my Fender tube amps, I think the PA 135 is the most uncompressed.

Going on that, would owing a Roland Jazz Chorus and an Engl Fireball be on opposite ends of the compression spectrum?

• Members

As several others already have stated: Distortion is compression.

There is no such thing as an overdriven amp that is not compressed.

And in fact there are not many guitar amps that even when played clean do not compress the signal.

Compression is a desirable trait in a guitar amp.

If you want to hear an uncompressed electric guitar signal run the guitar straight into a mixer - or into your home stereo.

Basically without compression what you get is a distorted/clipping attack and hardly any sustain.

• Members

If you want to hear an uncompressed electric guitar signal run the guitar straight into a mixer - or into your home stereo.

Basically without compression what you get is a distorted/clipping attack and hardly any sustain.

:facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

clipping is compression.

uncompressed would be very clean guitar signal with absolutely NO clipping whatsoever.

Pick soft, it plays soft. Pick hard, it gets much louder. Fender Twin comes to mind.

• Members

:facepalm:

clipping is compression.

uncompressed would be very clean guitar signal with absolutely NO clipping whatsoever.

Pick soft, it plays soft. Pick hard, it gets much louder. Fender Twin comes to mind.

True - i worded it wrongly.

What i was trying to describe was the difficulty in amplifying a totally uncompressed/non-clipping guitar signal.

The initial attack level of a plucked string is very strong and has a rapid decay to its rather low sustain level so balancing that out on a non-compressing amp (home stereo/mixer input) either results in pretty much inaudible sustain or a distorted attack.

And although a clean guitar amp certainly is much less compressed than an overdriven one, even a Twin compresses the signal significantly compared to amps that are designed for transparent amplification.

Archived