:lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously...

Soldano SLO

Splawn Quickrod

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

You really see how compressed or uncompressed an amp is on tape (so to speak). That being said, the least compressed amps I've come across is probably the ac-30. It always punches a hole in a track compared to any other amp. That and solid state amps.

• Members

Diezel's VH4 amplifier is heralded as being very hi-fi (?) and compresed-sounding in its nature....

Well then, what guitar amp is the reverse of that? UNcompressed? Lo-fi?

I would say the opposite of the VH4 would be a Twin Reverb.

Very uncompressed (lot's of headroom), and clean is the opposite of distortion.

Definitely not lo-fi though.

• Members

I think people confuse saturation with compression. You can have an amp that saturates more or differently when cranked yet still remains uncompressed or open sounding like the Hiwatt's or vintage Marshall's. I like to describe them as open or looser as opposed to tighter or more compressed saturation like say a VHT, VH4 or some of the others mentioned as HIFI.

I see way more dynamics out of a amp that is open and looser separate from being flubby. Flubby would be too loose like yo ole' lady. The high gainers that are tight or compressed are not dynamic to me in a general sense although obviously they have there own set of dynamics. Tight and over compressed amps to me are too stiff for my tastes.

• Members

I think people confuse saturation with compression. You can have an amp that saturates more or differently when cranked yet still remains uncompressed or open sounding like the Hiwatt's or vintage Marshall's. I like to describe them as open or looser as opposed to tighter or more compressed saturation like say a VHT, VH4 or some of the others mentioned as HIFI.

I see way more dynamics out of a amp that is open and looser separate from being flubby. Flubby would be too loose like yo ole' lady. The high gainers that are tight or compressed are not dynamic to me in a general sense although obviously they have there own set of dynamics. Tight and over compressed amps to me are too stiff for my tastes.

Tightness != compression

VHT != Diezel

Compression != Stiffness

• Members

Tightness and compression are not one in the same, though I'm tired and might have misunderstood the previous posts.

The VH4 is pretty tight but it's not THAT tight of an amp. It's insanely compressed in gained channel 3 and 4... recording it for high gain stuff was a nightmare.

Otherwise, it's not that compressed.

• Members

Depends on what you mean by less compressed. Plugging straight into a P.A. will be VERY uncompressed, but that doesn't mean it's gonna sound good. Any amount of distortion will also act as compression; it's just physics...

But if you're asking what I think you're asking, for high gain that still retains dynamics, you probably looking at a Marshall or Soldano or the like. Mesas, Engls, Peaveys and Diezels (with the exception of the Einstein) tend to be on the more compressed side. IMO.

This. When I read the thread title, I thought of the first meaning and not the second. Opposite of compressed in my mind isn't dynamic, but rather, stiff and dry. An amp which best emulates the sound of an acoustic guitar.

• Members

am i wrong to say that we need a certain amount of compression in our amps?

isnt what creates that overdrive is the inability of a tube to amplify the input further and driving it into saturation? think of that great marshall sag. it cannot supply what is demanded of it!

• Members

am i wrong to say that we need a certain amount of compression in our amps?

isnt what creates that overdrive is the inability of a tube to amplify the input further and driving it into saturation? think of that great marshall sag. it cannot supply what is demanded of it!

Your English is sketchy but yes, you are correct. :)

• Members

This. When I read the thread title, I thought of the first meaning and not the second. Opposite of compressed in my mind isn't dynamic, but rather, stiff and dry. An amp which best emulates the sound of an acoustic guitar.

Compression = loud notes and silent notes all come out of the amp the same volume. In other words your picking dynamics don't make that much of an impact.

• Members

Compression = loud notes and silent notes all come out of the amp the same volume. In other words your picking dynamics don't make that much of an impact.

Well that's one definition of it, yes. A 100% compressed tone has everything at the same volume (except absolute silence). However, the way distortion works on a waveform is by chopping off the peaks of the amplitude of the input signal - which, when you think about it, is compression, because if it weren't for the distortion (clipping) the wave-form's amplitude would be greater. Hence, you can't have distortion without compression. That was what I meant (and I presume what imgooley meant too).

Archived