The most "uncompressed" amp?

petejt

• Members

As several others already have stated:
Distortion is compression

There is no such thing as an overdriven amp that is not compressed.

And in fact there are not many guitar amps that even when played clean do not compress the signal.

Compression is a desirable trait in a guitar amp.

If you want to hear an uncompressed electric guitar signal run the guitar straight into a mixer - or into your home stereo.

Basically without compression what you get is a distorted/clipping attack and hardly any sustain.

Uhh. We're talking bout guitar amps that aren't too compressed

Next.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Really? Says whom?

(Oh and brian may uses a treblebooster.)

Have you ever cranked an AC30 up? I own two of them, and if you have alnico speakers, they compress beautifullly. They clean up good when you roll off the volume, but your volume itself does not drop hardly at all. Go ahead and google AC30 and compresses. They're dynamic in the sense that they respond to picking dynamics, but this comes through in tonal expression, not through volume changes.

Perhaps you guys couldn't afford teh blues?

Googling myself on the first page results here are a few quotes:

"From the darker tones of a vintage Plexi to the compressed sweetness of an AC30, this amp covers all the tonal bases.The Superdrive features speaker cable ..."

"I think the 'Class A' is based on the original AC30. .... The way the top end compresses and chimes from those speakers being run hard is ..."

"It's loud as heck (I ditched the attenuator since we figured it may be a risk for the amp), it compresses like AC30 should, it's crystal .."

"I have owned both...the Matchless DC30 is a little harsher than the Vox AC30 which compresses easily and yet cleans up nicely on pick ..."

"Yes, he is selling a handmade point-to-point wired AC30 copy that was ... My general idea of a Vox sound is one that compresses early in the high end and ..."

"I've heard AC30's before and this little device actually sounds like one. ... rock and metal) and didn't like them because of that "over-compressed" sound. ..."

"I can compare my Maz 38 Sr. to my Korg reissue VOX AC30. Both respond, feel, and compress similarly, but that's where the similarity ends ..."

"This is a classic AC-30 sound. The post-otm has a sweet, clear, mildly compressed sound. When pushed, it will bark, but maintains smoothness and clarity. ..."

You have been pwned.

• Members

Have you ever cranked an AC30 up? I own two of them, and if you have alnico speakers, they compress beautifullly. They clean up good when you roll off the volume, but your volume itself does not drop hardly at all. Go ahead and google AC30 and compresses. They're dynamic in the sense that they respond to picking dynamics, but this comes through in tonal expression, not through volume changes.

Perhaps you guys couldn't afford teh blues?

Googling myself on the first page results here are a few quotes:

"From the darker tones of a vintage Plexi to the compressed sweetness of an AC30, this amp covers all the tonal bases.The Superdrive features speaker cable ..."

"I think the 'Class A' is based on the original AC30. .... The way the top end compresses and chimes from those speakers being run hard is ..."

"It's loud as heck (I ditched the attenuator since we figured it may be a risk for the amp), it compresses like AC30 should, it's crystal .."

"I have owned both...the Matchless DC30 is a little harsher than the Vox AC30 which compresses easily and yet cleans up nicely on pick ..."

"Yes, he is selling a handmade point-to-point wired AC30 copy that was ... My general idea of a Vox sound is one that compresses early in the high end and ..."

"I've heard AC30's before and this little device actually sounds like one. ... rock and metal) and didn't like them because of that "over-compressed" sound. ..."

"I can compare my Maz 38 Sr. to my Korg reissue VOX AC30. Both respond, feel, and compress similarly, but that's where the similarity ends ..."

"This is a classic AC-30 sound. The post-otm has a sweet, clear, mildly compressed sound. When pushed, it will bark, but maintains smoothness and clarity. ..."

You have been pwned.

I have a handwired version that does have the blues. I didn't specify running it flat out. This is an amp that definitely behaves differently when run hot, part of its dynamic nature. And I have also owned a dc-30 and a black cat which are derivatives and react very similarly.

• Members

I have a handwired version that does have the blues. I didn't specify running it flat out. This is an amp that definitely behaves differently when run hot, part of its dynamic nature. And I have also owned a dc-30 and a black cat which are derivatives and react very similarly.

And I merely said that the AC30 is famous for its compression, which it is.

• Members

Once again: A guitar amp does not have to run flat out to compress.

By nature guitar amps are designed to compress the incoming signal, even when run clean.
And some are more famous for their musical compression than others.

Vox being one of the more famous examples :D

• Members
Once again: A guitar amp does not have to run flat out to compress.

By nature guitar amps are designed to compress the incoming signal, even when run clean.

And some are more famous for their musical compression than others.

Vox being one of the more famous examples
:D

:thu::thu::thu::thu::thu::thu::thu:

this guy.

• Members

My VH4 is the most dynamic amp i ever played.

not sure if you guys dial it in right, but with 6550 its anything but conpressed.

Interesting, do you have the newer version? The reason I didn't like the one I played was because it was so overly compressed on the channels 3 and 4. This one had EL34's and was a pre 2004 model though.

Archived