The most "uncompressed" amp?

petejt

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The Peavey?

So, you are saying that dynamic is the reverse of 'compressed'? I think so..

cool

yeah dude, you can have very tight, full saturated distortion with a high output bridge pickup, the switch to the neck and not strum as hard for decent cleans.

• Members

I would think the less compressed the more hi-fi . when I think of hi-fi I think of solid state poweramps . A good tube amp will saturate when driven and you will get a desirable compression . If it's not pushed into overdrive like say a Ampeg V4 or some other high powered amp it may be more hi-fi . I tend to think most amps are hi-fi comparred to those old ass tube radios , anything with full Frequency response should fall under that term , comparred to those old radios , since we are talking about guitar amps , I would say something SS like a JC120 or a H&H poweramp or any ss amp really . Any cold biased amp or high powered thing that isn't overdriven probably won't give up the compressed feel .

• Members

Depends on what you mean by less compressed. Plugging straight into a P.A. will be VERY uncompressed, but that doesn't mean it's gonna sound good. Any amount of distortion will also act as compression; it's just physics...

But if you're asking what I think you're asking, for high gain that still retains dynamics, you probably looking at a Marshall or Soldano or the like. Mesas, Engls, Peaveys and Diezels (with the exception of the Einstein) tend to be on the more compressed side. IMO.

• Members

yeah dude, you can have very tight, full saturated distortion with a high output bridge pickup, the switch to the neck and not strum as hard for decent cleans.

Ah ok.

I realise now that I do that already, but didn't correlate the term. Cheers :cool:

Personally I reckon all guitar amps should be at least somewhat dynamic. Whenever I dial up a gainy tone I still just switch to the neck and play softer for clean tones.

• Members

Depends on what you mean by less compressed. Plugging straight into a P.A. will be VERY uncompressed, but that doesn't mean it's gonna sound good. Any amount of distortion will also act as compression; it's just physics...

But if you're asking what I think you're asking, for high gain that still retains dynamics, you probably looking at a Marshall or Soldano or the like. Mesas, Engls, Peaveys and Diezels (with the exception of the Einstein) tend to be on the more compressed side. IMO.

alrighty :)

But when you say "Mesa", does that just mean the Recto amps or the Mark series Mesa/Boogie amps too? My MarkIV does compress a bit but I can wring out of it clean tones while still on the cranked Lead channel if I play softer and roll down the guitar's volume a bit.

At the mention of Marshalls, that reminds me of AC/DC's TNT album - awesome tones :cool:

[YOUTUBE]BD6v-cSbrpc[/YOUTUBE]

I don't know why they say it's on the "High Voltage" album? wtf? It's on the 1975 TNT album!!

[YOUTUBE]RW2heKjzjIA[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

sorry but im turpsed and its sat night!

I'm supposed to be turpsed!

But I got a blasted throat infection, me nose is running like a tap now, I'm at work, and when I did head out to get on the piss with some old workmates at the pub down the road (130km down the road mind you...) they didn't show up even after two hours :o

So I'm on the 'net instead, contemplating this stuff.

damn my head feels compressed :facepalm:

• Members

I would say something like a splawn quickrod, vht cl, or a soldano slo. I couldn't call them lo-fi though just uncompressed sounding.

cool.

Well then, what amps would be lo-fi? I guess it'd be cheap {censored}e like Gorilla?

• Members

I'm supposed to be turpsed!

But I got a blasted throat infection, me nose is running like a tap now, I'm at work, and when I did head out to get on the piss with some old workmates at the pub down the road (130km down the road mind you...) they didn't show up even after two hours
:o

So I'm on the 'net instead, contemplating this stuff.

damn my head feels compressed
:facepalm:

My condolences, no one should have to deal with that.

• Members

:lol:
yeah that and maybe a Smokey , or ripped speaker .

Ripped? Like the tone on The Knack's You Really got Me? I think the guitarist ripped his speakers with a razor blade, ala Floyd Pinkerton decaying into a fascist in his mind then doing it to his eyebrows (and nipple :eek: )

Archived