What Marshall amps can do br00talz, unboosted and unmodded?

Shenaniganizer

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
So many people suggesting teh DSL...unboosted. Really???
:confused:

I guess I'm a noob and can't dial in an amp but my DSL will not do the brootz unboosted.

I'd guess user error !

I guess it depends what you mean by brutal though. Its not the best amp for very modern metal but it can certainly get heavey

Heres an unmodded, unboosted DSL in action. I think this sounds heavy enough for most applications

[YOUTUBE]oG0N9niuGbk[/YOUTUBE]

• Members

Vintage modern, TSL, DSL, 900 SL-X, 800. In that order. Used to have a 900 sl-x. Don't know if it's heavy enogh for your taste, but that amp had tons of gain. Got rid of it cause I wanted two seperate channels instead of the ridicilous two volume knobs.

For really chugga chugga br00talz kickass sick metal tones, I'd still look at a dozen of other amps before I'd get a Marshall though, but that's a matter of personal taste I guess. Prices for 800s, DSL/TSL, and even 900s are way out of proportion impo, you're better of spending 100 extra on some amp that's designed especially for what you're after.

I'm personally more into the Marshall tone, but I'm into lower gain sorta tones, indie rock, and "classic' british sorta overdrive or whatever.

• Members

I guess I'm a noob and can't dial in an amp but my DSL will not do the brootz unboosted.

YES, you are.

1995 Jackson RR1 with OEM Bill Lawrence USA L500XL -> Stock DSL100 -> Stock 1960 cab with G12T-75s

Dime all controls, Bass Boost IN, Mid button OUT. Red channel, Uber Gain button not pressed in.

You should be able to do any classic Metallica (up to AJFA) with this setup.

• Members

YES.

YES, you are.

1995 Jackson RR1 with OEM Bill Lawrence USA L500XL -> Stock DSL100 -> Stock 1960 cab with G12T-75s

Dime all controls, Bass Boost IN, Mid button OUT. Red channel, Uber Gain button not pressed in.

You should be able to do any classic Metallica (up to AJFA) with this setup.

You don't have be such a douche...

I'm not some mid scooping metal zone using kid.

• Members

You don't have be such a douche...

I'm not some mid scooping metal zone using kid.

Go {censored} yourself:thu:

Yeah, its kind of user error if you can't dial in a metal tone...we had to borrow one for a show a few months ago. We play breakdowns. A DSL can do them easily. OD1 with the gain at about 1:00 and crank the mids.

• Members

Yeah, its kind of user error if you can't dial in a metal tone...we had to borrow one for a show a few months ago. We play breakdowns. A DSL can do them easily. OD1 with the gain at about 1:00 and crank the mids.

Thanks for the advice Dewy, not far off from what I do though.

• Members

A cheap Marshall amp alot of people overlook is the Advanced Valve State AVT50H. You can find them for $350 used. I use one for practice to save power tubes in my other amps. This amp has tube preamp with tons of gain and a punchy solid state power section. Push with a good Tubescreamer type overdrive and it has as much gain as you can use. I don't really like the tone of the newer model, MG150HDFX, total solid states though. These are beginner Marshall amps for those that don't want to replace power tubes.

• Members

I guess people's ideas of a metal tone vary widely, but my DSL gets as heavy as I could want, and I never even use the red channel. I'm not sure i would ever have a need for more gain than I can get from that thing.

plenty of gain unboosted, but boosting the green channel does unleash the focking sonic fury!

• Members
So many people suggesting teh DSL...unboosted. Really???
:confused:

+1
It's a muddy mid gain amp unboosted for doing the Brootz.

Add the boost and a different story..............:love:

JVM is the correct answer to the OP

• Members

I think people might be forgetting that Marshalls love volume. The higher you crank it the better it sounds. You have to crank a DSL to about 5 to start getting a good sound, and by that time, you might start getting some complaints from the neighbors. If you play it any lower, the tone will suck, like all non-master volume amps. I absolutely love my DSL. I can get some really heavy bone crushing distortion out of it, it has a ton of gain. Its all I could want in an amp, really. Of course it will do the brootz. If you can't get it to do that, then theres something wrong with your hands.

But to the OP, I would say that the JVM, JCM2000 DSL/TSL, and the Kerry King JCM800 would be a great starting point.

Archived