your favorite tube amp for cleans?

mike-o

• Members

Well, actually the Peavey ValveKing 212 sounds amazing on the clean channel, and I'd recommend it for versatility too because of how good the dirt channel is. Just my opinion, because nothing beats tube overdrive too, so depending on what your style is keep that in mind. It also has a bright switch for the clean channel.

Your best bet for cleans would be a Fender, the Supersonic sounds amazingly crystal clear to me but doesn't have a mid control on the clean channel. Twin Reverb would be your best bet, I guess.

• Members

Really diggin' my JTM45 clone right now - running it as the 'clean' side and the Laney for the OD and distortion tones.

Have the Laney set about as clean as you can get it (MV on 10 - pull boost off) and the difference between it and the JTM is amazing.

edit - and then a footswitch for the Laney's boost for the high gain gives me 3 'channels'

• Members

Yea i'm really starting to lean towards Fender. Anything more specific?

Fender Twin Reverb if you want ridiculous clean volume.

Fender Super Reverb if you like a fire-breathing light breakup at volumes that won't get you tossed out of the club you're playing.

Bogner XTC if you need a high-gain channel to go with the clean.

• Members
Bogner XTC if you need a high-gain channel to go with the clean.

I prefer the Shiva's clean to the Ecstasy, but the Ecstasy does have more gain on tap and will do more modern high gain sounds than the Shiva will. Granted I also I've also gigged and recorded a Shiva, and have only played the Ecstasy in the store, so... :idk:

Archived