OT: England v USA

Megadeth Man

• Members

i think Joe Cole would have been a better sub than Crouch, especially against a defence that didnt look all that mobile when going backwards. Not a bad result, but we could have done a lot better. Too much backwards and sideways passing and our wingers were too chicken {censored} to take the risks going forward. Heskey is great at winning the ball but i do think we'd be better off starting with a proven goal scorer.

USA played well, Dempsey and Donovan were a real handful and the rest of the midfield got stuck in and stopped England from making too many through balls.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Soccer apologists say soccer is an athletic activity. Using the Olympics as a barometer, it is pretty obvious that those countries that lack athletic prowess (Britain, France) are successful at soccer. Interesting to note, despite the inclusion of activities like soccer and walking in the Olympics (and the wrongful exclusion of football and rodeo), how those countries where soccer is not popular outperform those countries where soccer is popular athletically.

• Members

Soccer is boring. Soccer is absurdly slow. I've had soccer apologists say with false pride how the average soccer participant "runs" 4 miles in a game. Newsflash: that means they are jogging less than 3 miles per hour. Translation: they are mostly standing around. BORING.

• Members

i think Joe Cole would have been a better sub than Crouch, especially against a defence that didnt look all that mobile when going backwards. Not a bad result, but we could have done a lot better. Too much backwards and sideways passing and our wingers were too chicken {censored} to take the risks going forward. Heskey is great at winning the ball but i do think we'd be better off starting with a proven goal scorer.

USA played well, Dempsey and Donovan were a real handful and the rest of the midfield got stuck in and stopped England from making too many through balls.

You guys need Alan shearer. He had some balls.

Spain?? They are perennial chokers:facepalm:

• Members

Soccer is boring. Soccer is absurdly slow. I've had soccer apologists say with false pride how the average soccer participant "runs" 4 miles in a game. Newsflash: that means they are jogging less than 3 miles per hour. Translation: they are mostly standing around. BORING.

lol..

• Members

{censored} me. Again :facepalm:

• Members
Soccer and baseball are similarly boring to watch, IMO. Playing either is a different matter, though.

I disagree that they are both boring to watch. I enjoy each for different reasons. My favorite of the two being soccer.

But, I'm a die-hard Cardinals fan and love the spirit of the Cards/Cubs rivalry. I'm a huge Packers fan and very much look forward to American Football season (except for the cold weather :mad:).

Hell, I just like competitive sports. I watch bowling, golf, darts, billiards, boat racing, fishing etc, etc.

At 32 I still play soccer in an organized league with guys 10-15 years my younger.

Unlike many here (in the US), I don't talk {censored} about sports that I don't understand just because I don't understand them.

I hate Nascar, but I enjoy racing. I HATE the NBA, but I love NCAA basketball. I can't stand to watch the WNBA, but that's just because it sucks.

I feel that if you thought that England/US game was boring, then you don't understand the sport...IMO, It was exciting, intense (from a US fan perspective at least) and fun to watch.

That's my .02...I don't really give a {censored} if you disagree...we just got a result against a powerhouse of a football team, and nothing can bring me down today :)

• Members
It could be worse. You could have publicly stated that you decided to watch baseball instead
:cop:

As boring as the Euro's think baseball is, at least every pitch is a possible game changing event. Every pitch is a battle between hitter and pitcher with strategic options, every pitch creates more drama for the next pitch. For god's sake, the Greece World Cup game today, they didnt get a shot on goal for over 60 minutes!!!!!!!! Wtf? That is not exciting, I don't care how you spin it.
Every single pitch has the possibility of a strike, ball, hit by pitch, home run, single, double, triple, inside the park home run, error, double play, foul out, possible grand slams when the situation arises,......just like you think we don't "get" soccer.....you don't "get" baseball. Thats ok, it's not yours, it is a good part of the rest of the worlds though....and to say the World Series isn't the World Series because it's not played against the rest of the world......well that is wrong as pretty much the worlds best players play here for the most part.

• Members

i think it's telling that Football is enjoyed and revered passionately all around the world apart from the USA. and i mean it's telling of the mentality of the majority of Americans (and not in a good way)

• Members

Soccer apologists say soccer is an athletic activity. Using the Olympics as a barometer, it is pretty obvious that those countries that lack athletic prowess (Britain, France) are successful at soccer. Interesting to note, despite the inclusion of activities like soccer and walking in the Olympics (and the wrongful exclusion of football and rodeo), how those countries where soccer is not popular outperform those countries where soccer is popular athletically.

Its only because You have a larger country most of your countrymen are fat.

I don't like football but I don't like retards either.

• Members
So did I. And there were 12 runs scored by the 6th inning. How many goals were scored in the soccer game again?
:cop:

:lol:

Its a different game as I said I don't like soccer... but why does American football stop every time some one falls over its like rugby for girls.

Archived