OT: England v USA

Megadeth Man

• Members
Its really not that easy, guys can spend their whole lives in the minors and never see a major league field. You're exaggerating but it can get slow, the biggest problem is the length of the season, its a slow grind.

Goes for every sport man. And yes the baseball season is insanely long, too long.

High school, college and pro football are all very different in atmosphere and in style, ive never found it boring.

totally agree but i was talking about the NFL. i love watching it on tv, but in person it's another thing.

Bottom line is SOCCER is un-american and will never be part of our culture. Like it or not we have our hands full with other things, hell we're probably still sour about the bad breakup and we still dont like tea either.

they used to say this about UFC and that type of fighting.

We like aggressive actions not long sections of the game where teams play keep away.

hmm, baseball is aggressive? there's loooooooooong sections of watching people in the outfield scratch their asses. :freak:

If you get taken off on a stretcher here, its because you're {censored}ed up really bad and we hope you'll be able to walk again, not be back on the sidelines prancing around later.

people break legs in futbol, bro. it's a sport where if you get hit in the leg people from the stands can't really tell how painful it is. when you're watching it on tv sometimes things don't look so bad either until they show close ups in slow mo. just today a player went to kick the ball and hit another guys foot... he could have torn his ACL right there in then, and there was also a uruguay player sent off for tackling a guy in the worst way. that other guys leg could have easily broken.

sometimes soccer pains are quick pains, have you ever played? You get stepped on by a cleat and it {censored}ING HURTS, but that pain goes away.

We like a clock with a defined ending, we do not and will never come to accept a draw as an acceptable ending. Taking dives is un-american as well, yes it happens in the NBA but guess who brought that over here? Vlade

Clocks with endings? Come on you're stretching it now. Draws are part of international play and tournaments in general. You see it in every type of tournament play in every sport.

Diving is a part of the game because sometimes you can't help but to dive or else you break your {censored}ing ankle if you keep going, the exaggerated fake dives are just a product of that. it's hard to get rid of, but players with reputations to hold up will not faint dive most of the time.

.... Personally I think MLS is the equivalent of the WNBA, which is insulting but you cant ram something down our throats and tell us we suck for not liking it, I mean really if its something that France is good at we probably dont want anything to do with it.

yeah, the MLS sucks but that isn't futbols fault, that's eager venture capitalists trying to cash in. i don't know if the american league will ever take off simply because the powerhouse leagues are in europe.

watch a season long Premiere or la liga.. it's incredibly exciting.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Not sure what I am "missing out" on but some of the games I have watched were 0-0 games of mid field bore fests that nothing has happened in. No goals in a 4 mile wide by 3 mile wide net???? How does that happen? And...holy {censored}, that {censored}ing OLE chant sucks ass, give a rest.

I watched some of the Uruguay/France game and what was that goddawful drone coming from the crowd????

• Members

Not sure what I am "missing out" on but some of the games I have watched were 0-0 games of mid field bore fests that nothing has happened in. No goals in a 4 mile wide by 3 mile wide net???? How does that happen? And...holy {censored}, that {censored}ing OLE chant sucks ass, give a rest.

I watched some of the Uruguay/France game and what was that goddawful drone coming from the crowd????

The South Africa vs Mexico game was exciting. The Uruguay vs France game was pretty boring.

Those are south african horns and they are annoying as {censored}. i wish they banned them.

they sound like bees

• Members

yeah, the MLS sucks but that isn't futbols fault, that's eager venture capitalists trying to cash in. i don't know if the american league will ever take off simply because the powerhouse leagues are in europe.

watch a season long Premiere or la liga.. it's incredibly exciting.

I do watch Premier, my uncle played over there in the early 80's and my aunt is a huge Liverpool fan. Im not knocking Premier or the sport itself but its not going to take off here, I do wish we could have the same intensity and atmosphere of those games with the chanting/singing, that seems like an unreal environment.

• Members

The South Africa vs Mexico game was exciting. The Uruguay vs France game was pretty boring.

Those are south african horns and they are annoying as {censored}. i wish they banned them.

they sound like bees

I agree, those South African horns are {censored}ing annoying and they should at least ban them from all games except for the South African ones, since they'd never be able to achieve a full ban.

• Members
I agree, those South African horns are {censored}ing annoying and they should at least ban them from all games except for the South African ones, since they'd never be able to achieve a full ban.

They debated it after the confederations cup. In the end FIFA concluded it was part of the South African atmosphere and unjust to ban them. :mad:

• Members
Yeah its not like NY has another baseball team or anything. And its not like people watch baseball in new england, or chicago, or philly...

Very true, people only care about home runs, that's why no one ever buys pitchers jerseys. Last Mets game I went to everyone was wearing
Carlos Santana shirts,
he doesn't even play baseball
:confused:

Cleveland Indians catcher :cop:

I'd rather watch an unplugged tv than watch soccer :lol:

• Members

It'll never take off in your country as you dont pump the cash into it to have world class league teams nor or you interested in a game that could end without anyone scoring. Just my take on it and I couldnt give a flying shot about football. Motorsport is my ting.

• Members

lol i dunno why these threads always turn into "soccer sucks"/ "football is the most popular sport on the planet, you guys are dumb" etc etc.

I love watching the world cup and am really looking forward to this game- as mentioned before, have any of you guys ever heard of friendly banter?

my prediction: 2-1 USA - we score the game winning goal when england breaks for some afternoon tea
austin%20powers.JPG

:cop::lol::wave:

• Members

Let me settle this:

NOBODY LIKES THE DIVING IN FOOTBALL. - It's cheating and ruins the pace of the game. It's completely ridiculous to see grown men pretending to be hurt to gain some small advantage only to come back on the field 1 minute later. England seem to be one of the only countries that don't do this, which is why the Premiership is getting worse and worse (for cheating not talent!) because of all the non-english players we have now....

Let's not pretend that this is some integral part of football that everyone enjoys.

NOBODY LIKES HOOLIGANISM - Only the most braindead wankers think that having massive fights over a game is a good thing.

Also, football can be very {censored} I'll agree, nowhere near as {censored} as cricket - when there's no goals, finesse, sloppy passes I'd much rather just watch the highlights on MOTD which is what I always end up doing unless it's 2 really high profile teams like Man Utd and Barcelona etc...

When it's done right though...... please let me introduce you to matt le tissier:

[YOUTUBE]m3jVh_IJwO0[/YOUTUBE]

On the subject of England V.S. USA I think on paper England will smash it but USA have a few good players and a good spirit which could deffo cause us problems. USA seem to me at least not to partake in the aforementioned cheating.

• Members

Pre-Match Analysis:

Both teams will see this as the hardest group game.

The USA will want to get at least a point out of it.

England will feel they're letting the country down if they don't get a win, but will settle for a draw if we're playing {censored}.

I'd say it's a 50/50 between a 3-1 England win and a 1-1 draw, depending on whether we are having a good day or not.

• Members
Pre-Match Analysis:

Both teams will see this as the hardest group game.

The USA will want to get at least a point out of it.

England will feel they're letting the country down if they don't get a win, but will settle for a draw if we're playing {censored}.

I'd say it's a 50/50 between a 3-1 England win and a 1-1 draw, depending on whether we are having a good day or not.

With all due respect to the Americans, if ye don't thrash them and win that group ye may give up altogether and try focus on the cricket a bit more.

Not an Irish England hater, I'll be supporting you guys tonight.
Best of luck, but {censored}ing win too. :thu:

• Members

Jesus Christ, you really are a stupid and annoying putz if you are taking me so literally. You probably voted for the Nationalists in the last election, you're so stupid.

I don't literally mean that there no soccer fans in the U.S. What I mean is that soccer is not very popular here. Yes, in our 300-million person nation, we have some soccer fans, and since we're pretty wealthy (and soccer fans tend to be wealthier than average), we've got people buying tickets to the World Cup. However, at the same time, the average American doesn't watch the World Cup and doesn't care.

wealthy? hahahaha

• Members

I'm still going for a draw, 2-2.

I expected Argentina to rape Nigeria earlier and they didnt though. If Argentina learn to defend then they'll tonk everyone with ease, but i cant see that happening. My favourites are Spain and The Netherlands, Spain are hugely experienced, massively talented on the ball and play exciting football. The Netherlands are quick, direct and have some of the most technically gifted players in the world right now, i think they could be a real handfull.

• Members

Interesting line-up for the Americans. Standard 4-4-2. Putting Findley up top could give the English defenders some trouble. I like it. I would like to see Buddle and Gomez though if Findley and Altidore can't get {censored} working up top by the middle of the second half.

Archived