OT: England v USA

Megadeth Man

• Members

{censored} off.

It could be said Americans don't give a {censored} about Baseball either but old white america keeps holding on to it for dear life.

Go into a bar the only shmucks still watching baseball are 50+ years old most of the time.

Go to New York. EVERYONE watches baseball.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The amount of pure ignorance, egocentrism, and ethnocentrism in this thread is sad.

I'd have thought at the very least, you {censored}ing assholes could get behind your flag, regardless of the sport. But I guess it's just cool to bash the most popular sport in the world because you are too {censored}ing uncultured to understand it.

The fact is, this is the single most important sporting event in the world. Your ignorance of it doesn't make it any less so.

GO USA!!!!!

• Members

The amount of pure ignorance, egocentrism, and ethnocentrism in this thread is sad.

I'd have thought at the very least, you {censored}ing assholes could get behind your flag, regardless of the sport. But I guess it's just cool to bash the most popular sport in the world because you are too {censored}ing uncultured to understand it.

The fact is, this is the single most important sporting event in the world. Your ignorance of it doesn't make it any less so.

GO USA!!!!!

Someone got picked last in football :poke:

• Members

Go to New York. EVERYONE watches baseball.

Because of the bandwagon. I know.

You can't be a New Yorker if you aren't yelling around about the Yankees. Out of all the baseball teams in this country only a few teams garnish that kind of adoration.

Baseball is a dying game, it has been for some time now. It was temporarily saved by those home run marathons (all the owners knew what was going on, the comish knew exactly what was going on with the steroid use but it filled seats) but now it's going back down again.

The next generation will give a rats ass about baseball and the trend will only continue.

• Members
man I could never get into soccer. not being able to use your hands totally kills it. I know there is a ton of skill involved and I respect that. but whenever i play soccer I feel like a pricey little girl frolicking in a field posies.
:lol:

Its called football, for a reason....

• Members

GO USA!!!!!

most everyone I know that ever gives a {censored} about soccer were forced to play it as kids.

Why do you think so many more pro baseball players are from the Dominican, Venezuela, Cuba, etc ? It's because all the preppy families and soccer moms making kids play a game they hated while these other kids are on sandlots playing sun up to sun down.

I coached baseball for 12 years and I was always irritated at kids being picked up in the middle of practice to go play soccer ! WTF !!

Of course I'll also bet that kids on soccer teams other than USA don't all get trophies just for playing.

• Members

GO USA!!!!!

Again, in THIS PART of the world, it's not even as important as ARENA LEAGUE football, and your ignorance doesn't make it any MORE so.

GO USA!!!!! May you be the least boring team in the World Cup, i.e., the winner! :thu:

• Members

Its going to be a draw tomorrow 2-2 is my prediction.

England have the more technically gifted players and the experience of playing at the highest level in club football but the American team are quick, strong and for 90 minutes will run the crap out of England.

Theres also a good few of the American squad that play in the UK, so they're pretty familiar with how to play against the English squads. Should be a good game though.

• Members

For all of you tards who think we won the war of 1812, let me remind you the Capitol was burned to the ground during that war. No one really "won" the war of 1812 at all.

Do they even teach US History anymore?

England vs. US will be an interesting match, but only because it will show how far we've come as a county in the sport by how badly we lose against England. Winning that game will take a miracle, because while the sport is growing by leaps and bounds here in the US, it doesn't get the best athletes in the US.

• Members

I wish the same could be said about American professional soccer.

The US just sucks at soccer. Maybe they can beat Malawi or something like that, but I don't expect them to reach the quarter finals.

• Members

The US just sucks at soccer. Maybe they can beat Malawi or something like that, but I don't expect them to reach the quarter finals.

They beat Spain in the confederations cup, they also ran Brazil pretty close.

The USA has some great players, Dempsey, Donovan, Beasley, Altidore, all are playing in top leagues. I used to think that the USA were rubbish but during that confederations cup they were extremely good and not to be underestimated, their counter attacking style was brilliant to watch and hugely effective against the european teams.

• Members

I don't expect Holland to reach the quarter finals either :D

Just kidding.

The USA is much better than their reputation - football-wise of course. :D

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

• Members

All of our athletes go into more lucrative sports like American Football, Baseball, or Basketball. US Soccer, i.e. US MLS, doesn't pay anywhere close to the base salaries in any of the other sport leagues in the US. Most of the guys in MLS are making 5 figures, some as low as $15,000. Compare that to the minimum salary in the NFL of $285,000 for a first year player and goes up ~$80,000 per year until the fifth year, where there isn't an increase until the 8th year and then the 11th year. Form Major League Baseball, the minimum pay for an MLB player is $400,000/year. The National Basketball Association pays a minimum $473,604 for the season that is about to end. From a pure money perspective, no athlete in their right mind is going to pick soccer over the other big sports in the US.

• Members

All of our athletes go into more lucrative sports like American Football, Baseball, or Basketball. US Soccer, i.e. US MLS, doesn't pay anywhere close to the base salaries in any of the other sport leagues in the US. Most of the guys in MLS are making 5 figures, some as low as $15,000. Compare that to the minimum salary in the NFL of $285,000 for a first year player and goes up ~$80,000 per year until the fifth year, where there isn't an increase until the 8th year and then the 11th year. Form Major League Baseball, the minimum pay for an MLB player is $400,000/year. The National Basketball Association pays a minimum $473,604 for the season that is about to end. From a pure money perspective, no athlete in their right mind is going to pick soccer over the other big sports in the US.

But the USA does have a whole heap of players like Howard, Spector, Hanneman etc that are all playing in the premier league earning

• Members

I reckon Slovenia might be a bit of a surprise in our group...

I dunno, i dont think theyre as strong or fit as us English or the Americans, I think they'll batter Algeria but i think that realisticlly the only game they can win. Its a damn fine group for us though, if we dont come out on top then we're a lot {censored}ter than when McLaren had control!

• Members

I dunno, i dont think theyre as strong or fit as us English or the Americans, I think they'll batter Algeria but i think that realisticlly the only game they can win. Its a damn fine group for us though, if we dont come out on top then we're a lot {censored}ter than when McLaren had control!

We do have a peachy group, couldnt ask for more really, we should come out top of that..

No Rio though is a worry and were still going the Lampard/Gerrard route?? Joe Coal is a big bonus though, far better than Wallcot

• Members

We do have a peachy group, couldnt ask for more really, we should come out top of that..

No Rio though is a worry and were still going the Lampard/Gerrard route?? Joe Coal is a big bonus though, far better than Wallcot

Rio hasnt been on form all season though and with Terry losing half a yeard in the last season i think its a blessing in disguise, Carragher and King will do the job well i reckon. I think Joe Cole is probably our best hope of winning, when he's got the ball he takes so many opposing players with him that it frees up so much space for the rest of the midfield.

I'm really looking forward to it, i've bought in a {censored}load of pepsi, pizza, relentless and mars bars and i'm not moving from my sofa!

• Members

[quote name=
I'm really looking forward to it' date=' i've bought in a {censored}load of pepsi, pizza, relentless and mars bars and i'm not moving from my sofa![/quote]

Oh yes !! half day of work today so i can get home and watch the South Africa game, BBQ tomorrow (weather permitting) for England !!!!!

The next fews weeks are the best :thu:

Come on England !!!

• Members
:lol:

They seem to hold their nuts alot too.

Would you like to be hit by a free kick from David Beckham with only a pair of nylon shorts as protection? :D I`ve played football, and I know why you want to protect the jewels.

• Members

Yeah, i'm finishing at 1, should be back home for 2, that gives me enough time to have shower and cook a pizza before the SA vs Mexico game! I think the first game will be a real belter too, SA are going to hit it hard and the Mexicans are pretty old!

Archived