OT: England v USA

Megadeth Man

• Members

i think it's telling that Football is enjoyed and revered passionately all around the world apart from the USA. and i mean it's telling of the mentality of the majority of Americans (and not in a good way)

LOL.. THIS mentality you displayed is the one thats not in a good way.. And I did live in Europe for about a year and Europeans always make wide ranging assumptions based on us not liking soccer or some other bull{censored} about America not having a culture blablabla.. I've heard it a thousand times.. Here is a news flash, we arent all that different..

The fact most Americans dont like soccer that much is probably because there are many other top of the line professional sports leagues based here.. NHL, NBA, MLB, NFL, etc etc... The highest soccer leagues are in Europe and elsewhere.. Its pretty easy to understand why there is a difference in whats most liked depending on where one lives.. The irony that many people who dont live in America dont realize is youth soccer is probably the most widely played sport in America.. Its a decent game, but it does not make an enjoyable TV watching experience.. And the fact that until recently there really wasnt any major soccer leagues to draw in a large audience, it seems relatively easy to see why most Americans are indifferent to the sport..

So yeah, we are all bad people..

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

LOL.. THIS mentality you displayed is the one thats not in a good way.. And I did live in Europe for about a year and Europeans always make wide ranging assumptions based on us not liking soccer or some other bull{censored} about America not having a culture blablabla.. I've heard it a thousand times.. Here is a news flash, we arent all that different..

The fact most Americans dont like soccer that much is probably because there are many other top of the line professional sports leagues based here.. NHL, NBA, MLB, NFL, etc etc... The highest soccer leagues are in Europe and elsewhere.. Its pretty easy to understand why there is a difference in whats most liked depending on where one lives..
The irony that many people who dont live in America dont realize is youth soccer is probably the most widely played sport in America.
. Its a decent game, but it does not make an enjoyable TV watching experience.. And the fact that until recently there really wasnt any major soccer leagues to draw in a large audience, it seems relatively easy to see why most Americans are indifferent to the sport..

True but its called football :poke:

• Members
i think it's telling that Football is enjoyed and revered passionately all around the world apart from the USA. and i mean it's telling of the mentality of the majority of Americans (and not in a good way)

Yes, you're absolutely correct, we dumb ol' hick 'Murricans need to be more "cultured" and act like this...

ColumbiaSoccerRiot456.jpg

fans-take-on-security-in-romanian-soccer

Hooligans.JPG

SoccerRiot_468x244.jpg

soccer_riots-500x333.jpg

ivory_coast_1374593c.jpg

Yeah, this would be much more "telling of us" in a GOOD way, right?! :facepalm:

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE][/YOUTUBE]

Say, here's a thought, you don't suppose if the action were a little more interesting on the field, people might not bore so easily and create this kind of action in the stands, do ya? Just sayin'...

• Members

As boring as the Euro's think baseball is, at least every pitch is a possible game changing event. Every pitch is a battle between hitter and pitcher with strategic options, every pitch creates more drama for the next pitch. For god's sake, the Greece World Cup game today, they didnt get a shot on goal for over 60 minutes!!!!!!!! Wtf? That is not exciting, I don't care how you spin it.

Every single pitch has the possibility of a strike, ball, hit by pitch, home run, single, double, triple, inside the park home run, error, double play, foul out, possible grand slams when the situation arises,......just like you think we don't "get" soccer.....you don't "get" baseball. Thats ok, it's not yours, it is a good part of the rest of the worlds though....and to say the World Series isn't the World Series because it's not played against the rest of the world......well that is wrong as pretty much the worlds best players play here for the most part.

A lot of the world's best play in Spain and the large majority of the rest play in England. Neither of these are a world series. I don't buy that, not when it's American and Canadian teams! And I grant you that the Greece game was pretty boring but baseball man. Baseball.

• Members

The fact most Americans dont like soccer that much is probably because there are many other top of the line professional sports leagues based here.. NHL, NBA, MLB, NFL, etc etc... The highest soccer leagues are in Europe and elsewhere.. Its pretty easy to understand why there is a difference in whats most liked depending on where one lives.. The irony that many people who dont live in America dont realize is youth soccer is probably the most widely played sport in America.. Its a decent game, but it does not make an enjoyable TV watching experience.. And the fact that until recently there really wasnt any major soccer leagues to draw in a large audience, it seems relatively easy to see why most Americans are indifferent to the sport..

If it doesn't make an enjoyable TV watching experience how do you explain this; http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSLDE60U0G220100131

• Members

Say, here's a thought, you don't suppose if the action were a little more interesting on the
field
, people might not bore so easily and create this kind of action in the
stands
, do ya? Just sayin'...

Not for nothing, but....

6a00d8341c630a53ef01157112e870970b-pi

ds_04155_06_zen_v6.jpg

3267_NpAdvHover.jpg

93ff69f79f45c90fe8ae70a46e16089d.jpg

All you have proven are that morons live everywhere...

• Members
Not for nothing, but....

All you have proven are that morons live everywhere...

Not even CLOSE to the same level of soccer matches. Please, let's go ahead and compare how many times 20-30 people have been trampled to death at NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL games compared to the top soccer leagues. Oh yeah, there's that whole throwing piss-balloon thing, too.

C'mon, it'll be fun! :thu:

• Members
Not even CLOSE to the same level of soccer matches. Please, let's go ahead and compare how many times 20-30 people have been trampled to death at NFL, NBA, MLB and NHL games compared to the top soccer leagues. Oh yeah, there's that whole throwing piss-balloon thing, too.

C'mon, it'll be fun!
:thu:

Not to mention the monkey noises they make at black players etc. etc. etc. What's your point????

These guys are NOT soccer fans. They are only there to start {censored}...hence why they are called "hooligans."

{censored}, I've been threatened by cubs and bears fans more than once...doesn't make me hate baseball and football.

I can understand if you think it's boring. I'll chalk that up to your lack of understanding of the finer points of the game. Not your fault really...as you've said, the exposure here is limited to youth soccer leagues (which really don't do anything except get kids to run) and the occasional MLS, EPL, or SPL game on ESPN.

You're argument is just as silly as those saying baseball is boring.

• Members

Say, here's a thought, you don't suppose if the action were a little more interesting on the
field
, people might not bore so easily and create this kind of action in the
stands
, do ya? Just sayin'...

It is better than dropping bombs all over the world in order to steal in the name of freedom.

• Members

A lot of the world's best play in Spain and the large majority of the rest play in England. Neither of these are a world series. I don't buy that, not when it's American and Canadian teams! And I grant you that the Greece game was pretty boring but baseball man. Baseball.

After watching the USA and England play keep away for minutes I turned on the Phillies vs Redsox game. After a lead off home run the Sox load the bases then a rookie hits a grand slam on the first pitch of his first major league at bat. Now if thats not a sign from god that baseball is the greater sport I don't know what is

• Members

i also heard the funniest {censored}ing thing while at my uncles basketball game this afternoon. his buddy came up and they were talking about how busy the bars were and he talked about one that was good but he was {censored}ing pissed from futbol being on every channel:facepalm::lol:

i died from laughter on the inside, stupid macho american men with a roid mentality. i bet they wouldnt last an entire half on a soccer field.

• Members

It seems that most of the football haters on here think that the most entertaining part of the game must be the goals, theres a whole lot more to it that makes it the worlds best loved sport. Theres all the tricks and skills that players like Ronaldo, Messi, Kaka, Rooney, Henry and friends do, then theres things like good defending, we can admire good defending as much as we can admire a thumping goal. I'm sure if we put some adverts for Bud/mcdonalds in everytime the ball goes out of play and make the game 4 hours long then i'm sure the Americans would love it, oh yeah and the players would have to wear padding.

• Members

Nice quote on Radio 4 this morning.

The British play football, Americans play capitalism.

(that is a compliment btw).

Went on to describe the victorian model born on the industrial revolution that pervades british football; It's social form and character to this day, and why it never appeals to the USA, where selection for teams is at college level.

Very interesting, explains why our class system prevents growth in the sport but at the same time keeps it as number 1 popular sport; sunday local teams are also popular in the USA it seems. We are not really very good at football if you carry it to it's logical conclusion.

• Members

After watching the USA and England play keep away for minutes I turned on the Phillies vs Redsox game. After a lead off home run the Sox load the bases then a rookie hits a grand slam on the first pitch of his first major league at bat. Now if thats not a sign from god that baseball is the greater sport I don't know what is

Play keep away? What would you prefer? Mindless attacking that leaves gaping holes in your defence? Shots from distance at all times? Possession is a huge part of the game.

Archived