Ever had a band member pawn your stuff?

MattACaster

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I had a band mate that I loaned a set of PAFs[yes real PAFs] from my 67 SG

He installed them in his Flying V and giged them for a while then tells me he sold the V

I had his 69 marshall super lead head and he came to get it, I told him to get lost you used the head to pay for the pickup lol!

He just stood there for a minute then left, never said another word about it

This was in 80" wish I had those pickups today!!

• Members

UPDATE!!!!!

I talked to him yesterday.

The other guitarist went to his g/f's Dad's house and talked to her sister. HE'S BEEN HOME FOR THE LAST TWO MONTHS!!! He's been going over there almost every day using their internet and eating their food!!!

MOTHER {censored}ER!!!

So the g/f and I went to his house last night around 7pm to see if anyone was there. We parked on a side street that has a clear view of the driveway in his backyard. There was a car there.... And we spot in walking around his backyard on the phone! I race around and pull into his driveway to block it and run in the backyard. I guess he ran inside.

I called the cops
. Shortly after they showed up so did the other guitarist. The cops banging on the door got them to open it.
After the cops threatened him with 5 years in prison, he let us into the basement. None of our stuff is there.
He is still claiming it at his buddies house where he was being paid to do some drum tracks. What he needed with my Mesa cab and my guitarists PA stuff for that I have no idea... But I'm sure he is lying and the stuff was either sold or pawned.

I'm so {censored}ing furious right now...

The way it was left last night is that he will have our stuff for us at 5pm today.

We'll see. I'm not optimistic.

If any of you Chicago guys could keep an eye out for my Recto 2x12s for me, I'd appriciate it. I don't know the s# but there is a slight brown discoloration on mine on the top right side towards the front from when some water from a buddies ceiling fell on it.

Why didn't you have the police tell him to get the stuff back that moment or have him arrested?

• Members

Why didn't you have the police tell him to get the stuff back that moment or have him arrested?

Two reasons. First, I don't really want to charge him. He is in enough trouble right now that I don't really want to add too it. The cops were mainly called because I knew he wouldn't open the door unless it was them. I also hoped this would get him to see how serious we are about this and hope it might kick him in the ass and get him to get our stuff back.

Second, ultimately the cops can't do anything. It's a civil matter, not a criminal one. Cops just threatened him so he could let us inside.

• Members

I have some buddies in Chicago...in the city around Lincoln Park and a few in St Charles...they know some musicians and a few of them are gear heads themselves...I put the word out to them.

Good luck. Hope you get your {censored} back, but kudos on how you handled the situation.

I'd appreciate it. :thu:

• Members

{censored}ty deal. I feel ya man, I've had some scummy bandmates screw me over before with music gear (drummer, coincidentally). I know now never to go halfsies on anything band-related if I'm looking to eventually get my money back for it afterwards once its time to sell. :mad:

Stupid people. Hope it works out for you.

• Members

UPDATE 2

Got off the phone with the guitarist who talked to the drummer. Drummer's story is now that our stuff was in his car when it got repo-ed. It was all packed into his car one night when he thought we were going to practice at the guitar players. Apparently they took the car with our stuff in it. :facepalm:

On the bright side I feel a bit better about this since there is a chance of still getting that stuff back.

• Members

UPDATE 2

Got off the phone with the guitarist who talked to the drummer. Drummer's story is now that our stuff was in his car when it got repo-ed. It was all packed into his car one night when he thought we were going to practice at the guitar players. Apparently they took the car with our stuff in it.
:facepalm:

On the bright side I feel a bit better about this since there is a chance of still getting that stuff back.

The only chance of you getting that stuff back is if he figures out how to somehow get the car back, and only then if the repo people haven't gone through it and taken the stuff out and sold it to help recoup costs.... I wonder if you could threaten the repo guys with theft charges if they didn't return your stuff?

• Members

The only chance of you getting that stuff back is if he figures out how to somehow get the car back, and only then if the repo people haven't gone through it and taken the stuff out and sold it to help recoup costs.... I wonder if you could threaten the repo guys with theft charges if they didn't return your stuff?

Planning on calling the local PD to find out. :thu:

• Members

UPDATE 2

Got off the phone with the guitarist who talked to the drummer. Drummer's story is now that our stuff was in his car when it got repo-ed. It was all packed into his car one night when he thought we were going to practice at the guitar players. Apparently they took the car with our stuff in it.
:facepalm:

Sounds like another load of BS to me man.

Archived