I'm done with my rack. DONE!! :mad:

guitarbilly74

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

So how did you like the Mesa 295? compared to the marshall power amp you had?

it sounds fuller and louder than the Marshall. more mids, more low end, sweeter highs. But then we're comparing a 2X95w amp to a 2x50w amp is it was expected for the 295 to sound bigger. But yeah the 295 is the favorite part of my rack now. Awesome amp.

• Members

I know exactly what you mean. I either go crazy with tweaking, or I get mad at all the stuff I paid for, but don't use.

I am thinking about getting a rack unit again for effects, switching, and some backup/different sounds, but I don't think I would ever do the preamp/poweramp thing again. Heads are plenty fine for me.

• Members

Billy...

you haven't answered about what the problem is. I've had my Tonelab for 5 years now....and I still make some minor tweaks. But it's so simple...by now I know exactly where to go and what to do. Granted the tonelab is set up easier...but I've also had a Vudoo Valve, GSP-21 Pro....and others. Same thing applies.

Could be that I'm oneof the few that actually LIKE screwing around with gear?

• Members

Billy...

you haven't answered about what the problem is. I've had my Tonelab for 5 years now....and I still make some minor tweaks. But it's so simple...by now I know exactly where to go and what to do. Granted the tonelab is set up easier...but I've also had a Vudoo Valve, GSP-21 Pro....and others. Same thing applies.

Could be that I'm oneof the few that actually LIKE screwing around with gear?

yeah I know.. I don't like to be constantly tweaking gear. Maybe I can keep the rack but get a non-programmable preamp and something like a g-major to switch the channels with the board.

• Members

yeah I know.. I don't like to be constantly tweaking gear. Maybe I can keep the rack but get a non-programmable preamp and something like a g-major to switch the channels with the board.

I might suggest the Tonelab then. I have the SE, and VERY simple to "tweak". There's literally no menu....just a display to tell you what you're adjusting and it's value. Everything is done by twisting.....knobs. :rolleyes::facepalm::lol:

Simple...yet there's enough there to keep one from getting fatigued with the sound of just one amp. Good feel especially with low-mid gain...and can still get metal on ya. Not perfect but close.

• Members
I might suggest the Tonelab then. I have the SE, and VERY simple to "tweak". There's literally no menu....just a display to tell you what you're adjusting and it's value. Everything is done by twisting.....knobs.
:rolleyes::facepalm::lol:

Simple...yet there's enough there to keep one from getting fatigued with the sound of just one amp. Good feel especially with low-mid gain...and can still get metal on ya. Not perfect but close.

I dunno Billy was having trouble using the jmp-1 and that only has really 3 usable amps. I think he would be more happy with a 2 channel amp with an overdrive pedal or an eq in the loop for leads. I would suggest the carvin Legacy or V3.

• Members
I might suggest the Tonelab then. I have the SE, and VERY simple to "tweak". There's literally no menu....just a display to tell you what you're adjusting and it's value. Everything is done by twisting.....knobs.
:rolleyes::facepalm::lol:

The issue I'm having is not so much knobs vs. menus, my rack is pretty simple when it comes to that, the g-sharp has no menus and the ADA has everything in the front.

My problem is with programming patches. Say I set my tones during practice and they sound pretty good. Well I take that to a live venue and because it's a different room it may not sound right. Ok that's normal. On an amp, I would just re-eq it and be done with it. But on this rack I have'to re-eq, save and store the tones on EVERY preset (currently using about 6 patches) . It's a bitch to do that during sound check and I often don't have enough time to do it.

• Members

The issue I'm having is not so much knobs vs. menus, my rack is pretty simple when it comes to that, the g-sharp has no menus and the ADA has everything in the front.

My problem is with programming patches. Say I set my tones during practice and they sound pretty good. Well I take that to a live venue and because it's a different room it may not sound right. Ok that's normal. On an amp, I would just re-eq it and be done with it. But on this rack I have'to re-eq, save and store the tones on EVERY preset (currently using about 6 patches) . It's a bitch to do that during sound check and I often don't have enough time to do it.

Maybe you need a unit with a Global EQ? A lot of the newer units like the Digitech GSP1101 have a global EQ, to that you can last minute tweak your overall EQ, but it doesn't effect each patch.

• Members

YOu have plenty of banks to compenste for that. So say patches 10-19 have the treble on 5. But if it sound like crap at club X, then go to the next bank of ten (20-29) which has the treble on like 7. Get it?

I wouldn't think you have more then 10 sounds. So each bank of 10 would be brighter or darker than the other. All ur foot moves will still be the same.

Archived