I'm done with my rack. DONE!! :mad:

guitarbilly74

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
the name for eBay account is different. This is for the shipping address, which is in Houston, TX and the billing address is a famous artist mngt company in West Hollywood.

Wow he really did buy it. :eek:

Now slip a demo and promo pack in when you ship it!

• Members

What are you looking into getting?

I'm tempted to go back to a head setup.

I don't run multi-FX units, so I have no real need for a rack setup.

Plus it's just big and bulky. I also prefer the look of a head better.

Either the Legacy or a Mesa. A DSL is not out of question either if priced right.

I hear you about the fx thing. All I really use is reverb and delay and not a lot of it either. A touch of chorus for the clean tones in one song we play but I could definitely do without it. I though I would get more into effects by getting the rack set up but I didn't. Right now my main lead patch has a delay mixed at 5% and a reverb mixed as 3%. Crunch patch is completely dry. It's overkill to have a rack for this kind of use.

• Members

Either the Legacy or a Mesa. A DSL is not out of question either if priced right.

I hear you about the fx thing. All I really use is reverb and delay and not a lot of it either. A touch of chorus for the clean tones in one song we play but I could definitely do without it. I though I would get more into effects by getting the rack set up but I didn't. Right now my main lead patch has a delay mixed at 5% and a reverb mixed as 3%. Crunch patch is completely dry. It's overkill to have a rack for this kind of use.

Mark III?

I'm running mine pretty much the same as you are. But I'm not running any chorus at all.

I have a guy that wants to check it out and possibly trade for his DSL tomorrow, and I love the DSL crunch channel, so we'll see.

• Members
I mean I will be done with it as soon as I find a trade for a nice head
:D

But seriously, this thing is stressing me out lol

I hear ya man, I did the same thing. I was playing way too many gigs, and got tired of hauling around a 12 space shockmount case and a 4x12 cab by myself. And the sad thing is, I didn't go crazy with Effects to where I needed all that {censored}! I had a rough time loading that {censored} into my car!

Made things simple with 1 head, 2 pedals, and a 2x12! Gatdamn it's so easy now!

• Members
I hear ya man, I did the same thing. I was playing way too many gigs, and got tired of hauling around a 12 space shockmount case and a 4x12 cab by myself. And the sad thing is, I didn't go crazy with Effects to where I needed all that {censored}! I had a rough time loading that {censored} into my car!

Made things simple with 1 head, 2 pedals, and a 2x12! Gatdamn it's so easy now!

yep, that is exactly how I feel.

If I wasn't playing out so much maybe I'd be ok with the rack.. I mean, endless programming aside, it does sound good. but I'm also tired of carrying this thing everywhere. And I don't go crazy with effects either.

I had an epiphany during last week's gig when I realized I was just using my volume knob for cleans and I stayed on the same patch pretty much all night, without even thinking about it. I was just having fun, running all over the stage (had a couple of beers before the show :lol: ) and completely forgot to use my MIDI board hahaha

• Members
yep, that is exactly how I feel.

If I wasn't playing out so much maybe I'd be ok with the rack.. I mean, endless programming aside, it does sound good. but I'm also tired of carrying this thing everywhere. And I don't go crazy with effects either.

I had an epiphany during last week's gig when I realized I was just using my volume knob for cleans and I stayed on the same patch pretty much all night, without even thinking about it. I was just having fun, running all over the stage (had a couple of beers before the show
:lol:
) and completely forgot to use my MIDI board hahaha

There's that "feel" from a head setup, that just can't be done with a separate preamp/power amp setup anyway. ;)
The cleans are much better on a "head" than with both the MP-1 and JMP-1, and the dirty channels seem more versatile.
I think you'll be much happier with the change! :wave:

• Members
The issue I'm having is not so much knobs vs. menus, my rack is pretty simple when it comes to that, the g-sharp has no menus and the ADA has everything in the front.

My problem is with programming patches. Say I set my tones during practice and they sound pretty good. Well I take that to a live venue and because it's a different room it may not sound right. Ok that's normal. On an amp, I would just re-eq it and be done with it. But on this rack I have'to re-eq, save and store the tones on EVERY preset (currently using about 6 patches) . It's a bitch to do that during sound check and I often don't have enough time to do it.

Billy, you just need a nice analog tube preamp to use with the 2:95. I just picked up a super clean Mesa Midi Quad preamp to replace my JMP-1 as my main preamp and it KILLS. JMP-1 is now a backup! Plus, if you need to tweak your tone during soundcheck, the Quad is just like using a head - just turn the knobs!!! :thu:

• Members

The Quad and the 295, plus a furman, tc unit, etc, is gonna weigh like 200 pounds.

Alot of people refer to the Quad as being heavy. I don't get it - I think it's incredibly light given its an 8-tube pre. It certainly isn't significantly heaver than the Studio and you gain 2 channels for a pound or two more weight.....

• Members

Going from a Marshall 9100 to a mesa 2:fifty was probably the biggest gear mistake I've ever made.

FWIW.

Wow, this I like to hear! I was thinking of dumping my 9200 for a Mesa power amp. Maybe that would be a mistake? However, I was thinking 2:90. Thoughts???

Archived