A great melody first, then lyrics,(only) THEN 'vocals'

Mark Blackburn

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Hey Mark B.,

Thanks for your kind comments about my review of The Complete Lyrics of Johnny Mercer at Amazon.com.

I haven't had a chance to read all the comments in this thread, but from what I've skimmed so far, it's pretty damn good! A lot of good information there. (Just one clarification -- which someone else may have already made -- Mitchell Parrish wrote the lyric to "Stardust.")

A few years ago I was talking to a jazz singer friend of mine about a song I'd written, called "Back in Hoagiana," and joked that next up would probably be a song titled "The Last Train to Mercerville."

Well, I finally wrote it (a few years later), and recorded a demo of it in December. And I think you might kinda like it...

(Click here to listen.) "Last Train to Mercerville."

Here's the lyric:

"Last Train to Mercerville"

Sometimes in quiet contemplation
when all the world seems tired dull and stale,
bored to tears with my computer

• Members

On the drive in to work, Siriusly Sinatra played my two favorite songs about Spring, both from my favorite composer, Richard Rodgers, with words from his (only two) great collaborators, Larry Hart and Oscar Hammerstein: SPRING IS HERE and IT MIGHT AS WELL BE SPRING. Plus, it was the two best versions you will ever hear! Bobby Darin`s perfect reading of SPRING IS HERE, which followed the Don Costa arranged (1961) rendition (for the SINATRA AND STRINGS album -- one of my Top 5 Sinatra CDs, and I own 70 of them!) of, IT MIGHT AS WELL BE SPRING.

[Just as an aside: I awoke this morning thinking how Sinatra always 'respected the lyric' -- never ad-libbing the words on his studio recordings -- reserving that joyful improvisation for "live" concert performances when the singer would bounce off the emotions of an adoring crowd (but those ad-libs almost ALWAYS reserved for uptempo swing tunes). I think that's the reason Sinatra called Ray Charles the "only true genius" at singing popular songs; he knew Ray could take a Rodgers & Hammerstein song like, OH WHAT A BEAUTIFUL MORNING (the first one they ever wrote) and make it uniquely his own

• Members

I don't mind the word "divine" in the song. And most of the lyrical touches are quite nice. The only thing that bothers me is the clunkiness of having to repeat the word "are" within the same line, as in "all the things you are are mine."

"Are" -- much like "Arg!" -- is not a pleasant-sounding word. Plus the conceit of the song never really grabbed me.

But there's no getting around that melody!

Lee Charles Kelley

• Members

I do the melody and lyrics at the same time. I can't distinguish my melodies if they aren't recognizable by their words, if that makes sense.

My process is always chorus first and then adding the verses or bridge, though. I start my songs by coming up with the chorus... melody, lyrics in one burst, and then once that's in it's fairly standard to add the rest

• Members

I was thinking this morning about jazz pianists who are what I call "spontaneous arrangers." They're able to deliver, spontaneously, variations that are positively 'orchestral' in beauty -- you can almost hear 'voicing' of other instruments in an orchestra when they play. Best living examples? Andre Previn and Dave Grusin. They're not the greatest jazz pianists, they're not the greatest arrangers (though their string orchestrations for singers are very beautiful). But they are better than the best jazz pianists at playing solo piano in this 'orchestral' manner. George Shearing, who's just left us at age 91, was another of these gifted "spontaneous arrangers" who did it longer than anyone else. (Six decades ago writer Jack Kerouac, in his most famous book, declared George Shearing "god" of the piano when he first heard him perform "live.")

A side note, for those who care about such things: Most of the greatest arrangers have been

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Mark Blackburn View Post
here are the words to a Bobby Darin song I never heard before today, titled (I think) IN LOVE IN VAIN
That's an amazing song. It's by Jerome Kern and Leo Robin.

I love Carmen McRae's version, but it's hard to find. Here's an instrumental.

What a tune...

LCK

• Members

I like writing stuff, and adding/subtracting/truncating from the poems even if it causes the lyrics to seem nonsensical at times, just to make them fit a track.

Sometimes I hear a vocal melody right away (always with a phrase or words I expand on.)
Sometimes I find a guitar riff I like first, and build around it.
Other times I make a drum track and fill in the groove from the ground-up.
As I get more experience, it becomes easier to hear a song 'all at once' and remember it well enough to lay it down when I get home from work...
...or even just remember the tune by reading the lyrics I wrote down.

It's just music, I love music, and I have to just do what feels right for the moment with my music.

Archived