A great melody first, then lyrics,(only) THEN 'vocals'

Mark Blackburn

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Quite a coincidence. I was answering someone's question on another thread: "What's your favorite country song and singer?"

I originally wrote down "Cold, Cold Heart," by Hank Williams, then chickened out and put my 2nd fave in its place.

Shoulda stuck with this one:

LCK

• Members

Thanks, LCK. That video 'slide show' opens (this guitarist notes) with Hank playing a Martin; then, midway through [with my hero Chet Atkins in the background (stage left) playing his New York made, (fabulously expensive) D'Angelico archtop] there's Hank playing "my guitar" -- a 1942 Gibson "Southern Jumbo." The things we pickers notice!

Perhaps because today is

• Members

The late Kenny Rankin (who left us June 7, 2009) gets daily airplay on SiriuslySinatra satellite radio. Every time I hear him, accompanying himself on nylon string 'classical' guitar, I'm reminded how he could take an overplayed song like George Harrison's WHILE MY GUITAR GENTLY WEEPS, and make it evergreen and fresh. Searching just now for his version of HOUSE OF GOLD, I found a Youtube video [from a

• Members

I was just sitting around home (on a rainy Saturday) listening to satellite radio and thinking about songs that never got an Oscar nomination (mostly because they weren't contrived for dropping in to a particular film) and also those songs that DID make the soundtrack of a movie

• Members

Words overheard in our lunch room at work this morning, spoken by a 23-year-old male co-worker "Antonio" from El Salvador about a tabloid headline that screamed, in 100 point bold font: SENT TO HELL! Said Antonio: "Ah but who says it's actually Bin Laden's body? Who has the DNA evidence? THEY do!

• Members

First a thank you for the embedded video, Lee (just drop off the key, and set yourself free!). I still don't know who wrote that song, and I freely admit I feel like I'm 'scraping the bottom of the barrel' now -- hard-pressed to come up with truly "great old songs."

And I'm so grateful to "PITAR" for your funny but astute observations! I'd not heard that anecdote about Elton John (though I knew he always wrote to Bernie Taupin's lyrics). I chuckled out loud at your "Thor" experience and its mortal effect on your "CG immune system."

In fairness, when this thread began I challenged "viewers" (older members and jazz fans especially) to provide names of some great 'timeless' songs written in the past 10 or 20 years. Because, (I reasoned) 'Maybe all the great songs (strong melodies) that COULD be written, HAVE been written already?' Objectors to this theory were few in number, and their examples of great songs I

• Members

Back in 1963 there was a French film (with subtitles -- remember those?) called THE SEVEN DEADLY SINS. It had a haunting theme song, a melody written by French composer, Sascha Distel. And it might have disappeared without a trace, but for its perfect English lyric by an American, Jack Reardon, titled THE GOOD LIFE. Tony Bennett

Archived