On the face of the earth or the sky.

Hold onto your breath
Hold onto your heart
Hold onto your hope.
March up to the gate and bid it open... open

• Moderators

Quote Originally Posted by prkrshawn

View Post

You have provide nice thread about the feedback. I really like this thread very much. Well I do not argue with you (although I actually really want to) say that whilst I like Gallileo or Figaro random invocations paired with romantic figures, the line "I very much fright'ning" can be other than grammar is so off that it makes my teeth ache!

Did you say whilst? You're making my teeth ache.

• Members

It's 40 below here in the world's "coldest major city" -- down where the two temperature scales meet, as Peggy used to sing 'feverishly' -- "be it Fahrenheit or Centigrade." I was in need of something fun to make me smile this day. Satellite radio provided the "best medicine" I needed -- a song most of you may never have heard (or not for many years). May I share as I thaw-out?

The year I was born, TWO of my all-time favorite musicals opened on Broadway

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Lee Knight View Post
I wonder how the Gershwins did as well. Ira was a god.

It's interesting that Elton John and Bernie Taupin did the reverse. Meaning... the lyric before the melody. I've always marveled at how Elton could come up with that stuff given the lyric. I mean, the lyrics are great but... I picture myself being given one of those lyrics, and for a moment let's say I forget how Grey Seal, for instance, goes... and I look at:

Whys it never light on my lawn
Why does it rain and never say good-day to the new-born
On the big screen they showed us the sun
But not as bright in life as the real one
It`s never quite the same as the real one

I mean... WTF? But Elton made magic out of that verse. Lyrics first in their case. Amazing to me.

I do wonder how the Gershwins did it. I suspect George led the charge in their case.
eek.gifeek.gifeek.gif Yes! That has and continues to amaze me. I also wonder if some of the lyrics weren't changed in the process......

Just checked this out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Mercer

He started Capital Records. I didn't know that.

• Members

Thanks, Kenny Chaffin -- you made my day! I enjoyed reading your opinions, and my own (concerning the current shortage of "strong melodies") you'll see I've sheepishly had to modify, in the course of this year-old thread! (Now, why did I come here just now? Oh yes.)

That PBS interview with Stephen Sondheim

• Members

Don't know if this was mentioned earlier or not but The Johnny Mercer Complete Lyrics book is out:

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Lyric.../dp/0307265196

Btw I got my copy (used) of "The modern rhyming dictionary: How to write lyrics : including a practical guide to lyric writing for songwriters and poets"
Gene Lees; Hardcover; $4.99

yesterday. The "Guide" part is great stuff so far.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by kennychaffin View Post
Don't know if this was mentioned earlier or not but The Johnny Mercer Complete Lyrics book is out:

Btw I got my copy (used) of "The modern rhyming dictionary: How to write lyrics : including a practical guide to lyric writing for songwriters and poets"
Gene Lees; Hardcover; $4.99

yesterday. The "Guide" part is great stuff so far.
That looks great. Some of the songwriting giants of the past (and not so past) really amaze me. Some of those guys were so astoundingly prolific.

• Members
Just checked this out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Mercer

He started Capital Records. I didn't know that.

Just got this WONDERFUL BOOK yesterday. WOW it is excellent, transports one to another time. smile.gif

• Members

Thanks for that link, Kenny. (A dear friend and top 30s reviewer at Amazon, Samuel Chell, wrote the "spotlighted" review for that great book; I responded with "comments" -- see if you enjoy!) I have the "Best Song" Oscar on my mind -- did any of you find out which songs were nominated this past week? Our newspapers didn't carry a word about it. Which got me thinking . . .

Remember the 2005 Academy Awards? The ceremony where umpteen people climbed up on stage to accept the

Archived