A great melody first, then lyrics,(only) THEN 'vocals'

Mark Blackburn

• Members

Robby, that rendition of WHAT CHILD IS THIS? -- to the melody known as "Greensleeves," (allegedly penned in the 16th century by England's King Henry the 8th) -- your rendition is exquisite in its simplicity. I especially appreciated the chimes and a capella singing (yours?) at the close. Are those 'synth' strings, I wonder. They were beautiful in any case. And with that bright and clear acoustic steel-string guitar (a "Taylor" I'm guessing?) it really is a nice new take on a very old song. Oh yes, and pursuant to your observation that,

"A classic melody, with classic lyrics can also be a good thing? You can change both "very slightly" and actually make it yours?"

You reminded me that my favorite romantic/humorous lyricist Sammy Cahn wrote FIVE great seasonal songs, the first for Sinatra ("Let It Snow, Let It Snow") but his last was a poignantly beautiful lyric for this very melody, Greensleeves/What Child is This?

Sammy's lyric, titled "THE BELLS OF CHRISTMAS" movingly tells a story about peace & love, conveyed by church bells at Christmas time: it's the best-ever lyric (of several written in the past 500 years) for this timeless tune. ("The Bells of Christmas" was commissioned by Sinatra for his "Family Christmas" album of 40 years ago, featuring the voices of Frank and all three of his children.) I can't recite it from memory. But if this thread takes a Christmas-ey turn, I'll transcribe for your enjoyment!

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

To borrow from Sammy Cahn's LET IT SNOW -- oh the weather outside is frightful, but the fire is so delightful! And since we've no place to go . . ."

We're stuck at home, snowed in by the first blizzard of the season in the world's coldest major city. So . . . a reflection prompted earlier this hour while listening to Siriusly Sinatra satellite radio:

----

Whenever you see THREE guys listed as the writers of one hit song, you can be pretty certain one

• Members

I love it that my favorite Christmas songs -- like Irving Berlin's White Christmas -- were written by Jewish composers & lyricists!

Just moments ago, as his (three hour) Friday show neared its end, Sirius radio show host Jonathan Schwartz played perhaps my favorite of Sammy Cahn's (five) Christmas season songs, "AN OLD FASHIONED CHRISTMAS," perfectly mated to a strong melody by the great Jimmy Van Heusen.

[Then, as if to underline the Sammy Cahn connection this day, Mr. Schwartz played my all-time favorite Sammy Cahn lyric (remind me to quote it here if I didn't already back on page one of this thread), "I ONLY MISS HER WHEN I THINK OF HER."]

Sammy Cahn, (a New Yorker through-and-through who's buried in California, just a stone's throw from Sinatra's grave) gives us only one 'dated' reference in my favorite of his Christmas-season songs (the "Automat" which was a feature of a particular New York restaurant -- apart from which, Sammy's lyric is timeless').

Coincidentally (or maybe not!) my wife Irene had asked me, "Which Christmas song mentions 'My Mom, basting the turkey'?" So either Mr. Schwartz is reading this thread, or he's reading our minds!

It's to a simply perfect, Disney-style, mixed vocal chorus (a capella with Sinatra's voice, it gives me goose bumps every time!) Frank sings,

Give me an old-fashioned Christmas . . .
An old-fashioned Christmas:
Family-faces, wide-open spaces,
covered with snow . . .

(bridge)

Right now, my Mom is there in the kitchen, basting the Christmas bird! You'll have to take my word: You can't find THAT, at the 'Automat'!

An old-fashioned fireplace . . .
give me an old-fashioned fireplace;
my heart remembers
smouldering embers, warming the glow . . .

I'd trade that whole, Manhattan skyline
-- shimmering steel, covered in chrome --
for ONE, old fashioned Christmas
back home!

-- Sammy Cahn (circa 1969)

• Members

There's a Christmas carol my Mom could have written. My late mother was a superb lyricist. If she'd grown up in New York (I tell my siblings) Mom would have been another Dorothy Fields. [Don't say it! 'Who's Dorothy Fields?']

Today I went in search of the lyricist/composer of an obscure Christmas song, "SOME CHILDREN SEE HIM." [Whatever did we do B.G.? (Before Google) You can find ANYTHING today!]

Moments ago I googled,

• Members

While waiting for your favorite 'seasonal' songs to be celebrated, I was mulling over that 500 year old carol, "Greensleeves/What Child is This?" ( and Sammy Cahn's "The Bells of Christmas" variations) from quite the most ancient church melody . . . and then it hit me: there's one that's a thousand years older, the strongest snippet of which, became a key musical phrase in an Oscar winner! If you'll indulge me . . .

The Summer of

• Members

Can you picture your parents having sex? I never could. And yet . . . here we are! I know my own Mom & Dad must have 'made whoopee,' as they said in the 30s, at least a FEW times! (I have two siblings.)

Every now and then, satellite radio plays songs written for Broadway in the 1930s whose lyrics allude to copulative activity -- indirectly, of course, but in witty ways designed to make Her laugh, as a

• Members

Christmas was a big deal in our house. Was it in yours? When my Dad died one mid-November day just a few years ago -- he'd been the 'heart & soul' of OUR Christmas memories -- none of us looked forward to Christmas 'festivities.' Those who've gone through it, tell us: "That first Christmas is the hardest." But then, with grown-up children of my own ("who now have children of their own") we did what all of us must do -- "Get into the spirit," for the sake of the littlest members of the family, 'cause "Dad would have wanted it that way."

Tonight I'd been thinking about this (how hard this time of year can be when you're recovering from loss -- and wondering whether any 'seasonal song' has ever captured that feeling. When, an hour ago, I heard a forgotten Christmas song, WE NEED A LITTLE CHRISTMAS,

Archived