District 9. Best Sci-fi movie since Blade Runner

johnkline

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Yeah, basically, this.
:thu:

{censored} all of those movies. they dont hold a candle to...

killer klowns from outer space.

• Members

District 9 was good, but imo, Moon was the best sci-fi flick of 2009. I'm just glad we're starting to see a return to dark and serious hard sci-fi film making. Even the lesser Pandorums and Sunshines are quite refreshing to me at this point.

• Members

No it's slow moving political movie about apartheid in South Africa using aliens instead of people so the audience would be more sympathetic.

It's a movie thats about 15 years too late.The maker is young moved by the struggle when he was even younger he is now been in the postion to express this creatively but like i said 15 years too late

pretentious and of little relevancy

wasa blade runner relevant? was lotr relevant? Your reasoning is completely irrelevant. :facepalm:

• Members

District 9 was good, but imo, Moon was the best sci-fi flick of 2009. I'm just glad we're starting to see a return to dark and serious hard sci-fi film making. Even the lesser Pandorums and Sunshines are quite refreshing to me at this point.

Sunshine was almost excellent, until it went the wrong kind of horror for the sake of creating action that didn't need to be there.

Moon was by far the best sci-fi flick of 2009.

• Members

Sunshine was almost excellent, until it went the wrong kind of horror for the sake of creating action that didn't need to be there.

Moon was by far the best sci-fi flick of 2009.

I thought Sunshine was excellent also. I didn't like the last part with the flickering screen effect but other than that I really liked it.

Moon I thought was decent but IMO it didn't really go anywhere and got kind of stale after you knew exactly what was going on.

• Members

I really liked it. It was different than what I was expecting but still a really good sci-fi flick IMO. I didn't really associate it with apartheid at all.

Wow thats really {censored}ed up that you didn't The maker of the film was interviewed and was quite plain thats what it was about.

A-part-heid isn't a S&M flick ya know?

• Members

wasa blade runner relevant? was lotr relevant? Your reasoning is completely irrelevant.
:facepalm:

Blade Runner was about eugenics thats why the lead character was

white hair Germanic (Rutger Hauer)The Nazis desire for a perfect race.

I'm sorry do you have point or are you just bleeding?:lol:

• Members

pandorum was better

Not really, but the one thing I really liked about that movie was that there wasn't a single light hearted moment in the entire film. It was totally bleak from intro right up until the twist. Fantastic acting as well.

• Members

I thought it was an A+ up until the point when they docked with the second ship. Basically turned into Event Horizon at that point.

Correct. Should have stayed dark, introspective, desolate, and finally, self-sacrificing. No need for the dumb action.

• Members

Correct. Should have stayed dark, introspective, desolate, and finally, self-sacrificing. No need for the dumb action.

Agreed, unfortunately they probably would have had difficulties getting the movie funded without the tacked on horror elements. Hollywood seems to be as bad or worse than the music industry at this point. Nobody in charge is willing to stick their necks out without the "safe bet".

• Members

District 9 was a waste of too much of my precious time, to even consider writing a detailed review of it.

Summary: The only way they could have made that movie more ghey, would have been to literally just show 3 hours of sweaty man on man pr0n. If I ever want to know what Hollywood's opinion is on anything, I'll go ahead and kill myself.

• Members

District 9 was a waste of too much of my precious time, to even consider writing a detailed review of it.

Summary: The only way they could have made that movie more ghey, would have been to literally just show 3 hours of sweaty man on man pr0n. If I ever want to know what Hollywood's opinion is on anything, I'll go ahead and kill myself.

lolno.

• Members

I liked it ok. Watched it once but I wouldn't buy it or watch it again cause it really didn't do it for me.

The list of sci-fi that I liked better is way long:

Serenity

Alien

Aliens

The Road Warrior

Reign of Fire

Minority Report

Equilibrium

Terminator

Terminator 2

Star Wars ep4

The Matrix

Blade Runner

The Thing

Logan's Run

Pitch Black

Planet of the Apes

Robocop

Watchmen

Jurassic Park

War of the Worlds

Altered States

Escape from NY

Jumper

Push

Outland

The Fly

Predator

The Fifth Element

The Postman

Starship Troopers

Dark City

The Butterfly Effect

You lost credibility with Reign of Fire, but gained it back with Dark City. That movie is never talked about.

Archived