WOT: Motorcycle Guys...

Slim Jim

• Members

Couldn't he have pressed harder on the bars, and dug in that way, or is there the assumption he was already "all in" and still needed more?

If so, that's just asking for trouble. Sorry about your friend's cousin...

It was an idiot move, for sure. His brother was riding right behind him when it happened, which is how we know what caused it. It's essentially an unbanked, 90 degree curve and, after riding this same curve many, many times I think that pushing on the bars at the speed he was going would've unbalanced the bike and tipped him over on his side. Had he had a bit more throttle I think he could've forced the bike to lean a bit harder without dumping it. Dude was a really experienced rider, and it just goes to show that even the best on two wheels can screw up too.

The place where it happened is on the way out to Gooseneck Bend, if you're familiar with SE Muskogee.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

It was an idiot move, for sure. His brother was riding right behind him when it happened, which is how we know what caused it. It's essentially an unbanked, 90 degree curve and, after riding this same curve many, many times I think that pushing on the bars at the speed he was going would've unbalanced the bike and tipped him over on his side. Had he had a bit more throttle I think he could've forced the bike to lean a bit harder without dumping it. Dude was a really experienced rider, and it just goes to show that even the best on two wheels can screw up too.

The place where it happened is on the way out to Gooseneck Bend, if you're familiar with SE Muskogee.

Are you from Oklahoma?

• Members

Are you from Oklahoma?

I grew up in SE ND, but my dad's family is from the Eufaula/Canadian/Crowder area. After HS and before I started my undergrad (about 6-7 years) I lived in Muskogee and Broken Arrow. It's 'home' for me...I make it back there 8-10 times per year to see friends and family.

• Members

I've been out that way a few times. Not sure of the area specifically though...

• Members
The new sportsters are the best bikes HD has ever made. Anybody that says any different doesn't know bikes. That said, I still wouldn't own one just for the douchebag factor alone.

I hadn't looked at a newer sporty (post 2004)
In the HD camp i've only owned a lowrider and Vrod,both of which are now gone.

the Vrod was the funnest cruiser I ever owned.
when i first got it.
mvc-001s.jpg

after some mods.
DSC02221.jpg

the Duc being the best naked I ever owned.
monster.jpg

I've had all kinds of streetbikes/ dirt bikes , I had a drag bike for about 8 years but sold that due to the family. I've had all kinds of honda's from RC26's to RC51's ,I'd say 80 percent of the dirt bikes I owned were hondas.

• Members
The closeest dealer I had was in tulsa.
:mad:

I've always REALLY liked those bikes. Maybe it's my old imagination, but I can remember back in the mid to late 90's that pretty much every bike was a Ducati, Suzuki, or Honda. I saw a naked Ducati last week and it was the first one I'd seen in real life in years.

• Members

My wife rides a 2008 1200 Custom and it's a great little bike. Pearl white paint with tons of chrome and it sure catches a lot of looks. Plus, the fuel injection is really awesome. Not to mention is a lot peppier than carburated bikes I've ridden.

As for as douchebag factor, every following as their idea of who is and isn't a DB. As for me, I've always said it's not the kind of bike (can even say car/truck here) that a person rides that makes them a douche. My philosophy is that a bike is just a really expensive personality amplifier. They tend to amplify the type person someone really is. If a person is a DB normally, give them a bike and they'll get worse!

In my mind, you can't become any bigger of a douchebag than the guys who ride sport bikes and try to pull stupid stunts and tricks on public highways and think they're cool. People will really think they're cool when they go high-side and spend the rest of their life in a wheelchair or dead. Not to mention the risk that they put other people in who just happen to be on the road at the same time. If you want to ride like that, great! Just go somewhere other than public streets where a crash won't involve innocent drivers. That's what I call a douchebag.

• Members
I've always REALLY liked those bikes. Maybe it's my old imagination, but I can remember back in the mid to late 90's that pretty much every bike was a Ducati, Suzuki, or Honda. I saw a naked Ducati last week and it was the first one I'd seen in real life in years.

I no longer have the Duc, I havn't had the time to ride with the job and stuff.
Sometimes I'll take the old mans bike out but not much anymore, mainly its work all week in company truck and hauling gear all weekend to shows/practice.:mad:

• Members

Cruisers also don't have much ground clearance, so don't expect to be able to throw it into corners like you can a bike with more ground clearance.

One of the most important accident-preventing skills is knowing that when a corner tightens unexpectedly on you, you can push on the bar and lean the bike over further. You can't do this on a cruiser.

Hold on, are you telling me that I can't counter steer a cruiser? Seriously man.

• Members

Wow.
So much advice.
I had no idea how passionate everyone was about bikes.

I also had no idea my height and weight would be an issue.
I'm no internet tough guy but I'm a lot stronger than my size lets on.

I also am not going to be attempting any wheelies or any stupid tricks.
I have no interest in that whatsoever.
I don't even have much interest in going over 70 mph.
But motorcycles entice me.

What will probably end up happening is I'll pick up whichever bike has the best deal for me at the time I'm ready to purchase.
Which will hopefully be my birthday (Mid-August)

This is a lot to take in.
Thanks everyone

• Members
Wow.

So much advice.

I had no idea how passionate everyone was about bikes.

I also had no idea my height and weight would be an issue.

I'm no internet tough guy but I'm a lot stronger than my size lets on.

I also am not going to be attempting any wheelies or any stupid tricks.

I have no interest in that whatsoever.

I don't even have much interest in going over 70 mph.

But motorcycles entice me.

What will probably end up happening is I'll pick up whichever bike has the best deal for me at the time I'm ready to purchase.

Which will hopefully be my birthday (Mid-August)

This is a lot to take in.

Thanks everyone

Just get what you want. even if it's the meanest sprotsbike or cruiser.

And just enjoy it , and take it easy.

Above all get some good gear, and some training.
Your head is your biggest safety device get it trained up to ride safely and above all defensively and it won't let you down

:D

• Members

Hold on, are you telling me that I can't counter steer a cruiser? Seriously man.

I'm not telling you that, I'm telling you that your ground clearance limits your lean angle, which combined with the long wheelbase limits your cornering.

You can counter steer any bike, but modern nakeds and sportsbikes can get pretty unbelievable lean angles with decent rubber.

Put it this way, if I misjudged a corner and went in too quick, I'd much rather be on a naked or a sportsbike than a cruiser.

• Members
Hot damn those naked Ducatis are hawt. I'm not a big sports bike fan, but those things are pure sex.

It seems you don't see as many around as, say, 10 years ago....at least around here.

:confused:

It's a shame really, they've really sorted out their reliability in recent years, and they've doubled the service intervals on several of their newest bikes, so they no longer cost a fortune to run.

• Members
{censored} handling? Have you ever ridden a 1200 Sportster? ({censored} the 883, it's a lame dog) It'll out-handle the {censored} out of any softail model HD makes.

You should try my Buell XB12 - it's everything Harley claims the Sportster is (but isn't). Also happens to be the best handling bike around.

24104_421306505929_500315929_5769497_376

OP - get some formal training, even a couple of days. Then go practice out in the countryside down some quiet roads - stay away from traffic.

Traffic can equal this:

n500315929_1288388_228.jpg

Quite sore! That was a campervan driver who didn't see me. You have to be really good with your observations on a bike as you're much more vulnerable and less visible (though someone pulled out on me in my big Volvo estate with the lights on the other day.... sigh)

• Members
Just get what you want. even if it's the meanest sprotsbike or cruiser.

And just enjoy it , and take it easy.

Above all get some good gear, and some training.

Your head is your biggest safety device get it trained up to ride safely and above all
defensively
and it won't let you down

:D

Even more than driving defensively - ride assuming everyone around you is asleep at the wheel, and think at least 2 moves ahead of the morons around you...

Someone merging off the highway...might trigger someone to move over, who in turn will cause the person in front of you to slam on their brakes...which means you have to get on your brakes or find an "out"...if you get on your brakes, and the person behind you doesn't see you because they are texting while driving...

That kind of crap...prepare for the worst, hope for the best...

I always check my mirrors when I get on the brakes or I'm at a stop light to make sure the person behind me has enough brain cells to know that there is a motorcycle in front of them that is stopping or is stopped.

But yeah, other than all that crap, riding is fun...and it's cheap as hell to own/operate...

• Members

I'm not telling you that, I'm telling you that your ground clearance limits your lean angle, which combined with the long wheelbase limits your cornering.

You can counter steer any bike, but modern nakeds and sportsbikes can get pretty unbelievable lean angles with decent rubber.

Put it this way, if I misjudged a corner and went in too quick, I'd much rather be on a naked or a sportsbike than a cruiser.

45 deg on good street-rubber in perfect conditions. This gives you a 1:1 ratio on gravity vs centrifigal force/inertia or whatever the hell the term is. On race rubber (R-Compounds) you can eek out 55deg...

Cruiser's get into trouble because of their pipes more often than not - with pegs, most of them are on flex-mounts, so they'll warn you pretty good that you're approaching 45deg or less. Pipes won't give, and you'll lay a bike down in a heartbeat once you start scraping those.

Myself, I have 1" extensions on my pegs (mostly so I'm not so close to the shifter or rear brake), which in turn gives me even more "warning" that I'll be likely to catch a peg...which again, if you're on a cruiser and trying to carve up twisties like a sport-bike...square peg in a round hole.

• Members
Even more than driving defensively - ride assuming everyone around you is asleep at the wheel, and think at least 2 moves ahead of the morons around you...

Someone merging off the highway...might trigger someone to move over, who in turn will cause the person in front of you to slam on their brakes...which means you have to get on your brakes or find an "out"...if you get on your brakes, and the person behind you doesn't see you because they are texting while driving...

That kind of crap...prepare for the worst, hope for the best...

I always check my mirrors when I get on the brakes or I'm at a stop light to make sure the person behind me has enough brain cells to know that there is a motorcycle in front of them that is stopping or is stopped.

But yeah, other than all that crap, riding is fun...and it's cheap as hell to own/operate...

There's a bit more to it than ...THE BASTARDS ARE TRYING TO KILL ME11!!!!!1 but yes , that's not a bad approach to take :)

Never just rely on your mirrors a glance over your shoulder is easily done.

The place you position yourself on the highway has a large bearing on being seen.

I find riding fuking expensive :confused:

• Members
There's a bit more to it than ...THE BASTARDS ARE TRYING TO KILL ME11!!!!!1 but yes , that's not a bad approach to take
:)

Never just rely on your mirrors a glance over your shoulder is easily done.

The place you position yourself on the highway has a large bearing on being seen.

I find riding fuking expensive
:confused:

I check my mirrors when braking or while I'm stopped. Lane changes, I check the mirror ON THE WAY to checking the lane by turning my head, BEFORE moving into a lane. I've been surprised a few times...

Another thing too...

Tailgating idiots will happen, even to the point where they will be *inches* off your rear, on a 2-lane highway, with a semi next to you, and there's 2 other idiots in front of you blocking.

If your bike is metric, make sure whatever "falls off your bike" is metric. Just sayin...

Actually, better is a digital camera with a gal on the back to snap the picture...that way if the {censored}er knocks you loose, you have a photo of the bastard for the police to go by...and a lot of times they'll back off once they know you have a picture of them. Funny, but true.

and a bike is CHEEEEAP compared to a sports car. Lower payments, less cost for tires (2 vs 4)...

• Members
I check my.....

and a bike is CHEEEEAP compared to a sports car. Lower payments, less cost for tires (2 vs 4)...

4 tyres for my car are cheaper than a pair of Pirrelli supercorsa's for my Fireblade and what's more the supercorsa's last about 2500 smiles !! :confused:

mind you I run a cheap car, expensive Bike, Bike does less to the Gallon for instance :evil:

actually it's the insurance aswell, 6 years no claims and my insurance still is

• Members
4 tyres for my car are cheaper than a pair of Pirrelli supercorsa's for my Fireblade and what's more the supercorsa's last about 2500 smiles !! :confused:

mind you I run a cheap car, expensive Bike, Bike does less to the Gallon for instance :evil:

actually it's the insurance aswell, 6 years no claims and my insurance still is

• Members

I guess that's where a cruiser is different too...

My insurance ("full" coverage 25/50/25, 1K ded) is $113/6mo for me.

My tires are $250/ea, and I get 40-42MPG...bike is a Honda VTX 1300c with an exhaust, intake and rejetted carb...

My 370z...25/50/50 1K, was $77/mo for insurance. Tires would have been $400 each....and it got 20-22MPG on average the way I drove it. lol

By comparison, the Avon's I use on my bike, and the Bridgestone's on the z, have about the same life - around 10K miles.

It depends very much on which bike you ride. A HD Sportster 1200 is group 13 insurance over here, same as an SV650. A Triumph Rocket is group 17, same as a 'busa or Fireblade.

• Members
You should try my Buell XB12 - it's everything Harley claims the Sportster is (but isn't). Also happens to be the best handling bike around.

I'd love to ride a Buell, just never had the chance. The local HD dealer quit carrying them a few years ago for some reason. :idk:

Archived