WOT: Motorcycle Guys...

Slim Jim

• Members

I need your help.

I want a cheap bike like a Yamaha Virago to learn on.

Every time I go to craigslist to look for one the 1100's seem a better investment than the 250cc's.

Does anyone know of any place besides craigslist to get a decently priced learner's bike?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

The Virago is a good bike. My dad had the 1100 for almost 20 years. He actually sold it for 500 more than he paid for it, interestingly enough. If you buy an older bike like that, it's probably not going to depreciate much further, so it's not really an investment. Good luck on the hunt.

• Members

XV700's, 750's and 1100's are the same dimension-wise. One step down is the 535/400 series. The 250 is even smaller.
I don't know how tall you are of course but the 535 is a very easy to drive bike with enough power for learning.
Stay away from the bigger ones with the flat enginecovers (very persistant startermotor troubles)

Giga.

• Members

What type of riding are you wanting to do?

Learning on a cruiser is fine if you intend to do nothing but laid back cruising when you mature as a rider, but it is very different riding a sportsbike.

I agree with EdgeOfDarkness, an SV650 is an excellent bike to learn on. It's got plenty of grip, and is forgiving enough to learn on, but it teaches you a lot about smooth riding. It's also a blast to ride, and the V and light weight make it quick off the line for all the power it produces.

edit;

I'd also say that anything smaller than a 600cc will leave you wanting more after a few months riding. Get a bike that you can continue to progress on.

• Members

check out a used Vstar 650 V-Twin. Very sweet ride and used they can be had pretty cheap. I'm going on 10 years owning one and still love it. Hey, it even looks like a Harley and "I get that a lot" :lol:

• Members

The newer the better on those things. The earlier and mid-year ones had a LOT of carb trouble....to the point that now when you see them advertised recent carb work is a huge selling point. I can't tell you how many of those I've worked on. Drive train is pretty solid, and they're good bikes, but those carbs were rotten pieces of {censored}. If you can't work on it yourself, don't even consider buying one.

Also, +100000 on the SV650. One of the best bikes built in the last 25 years.

• Members

+ 1 on the SV650 deff a good starter ! I ride an 1000 GSXR and it really doesnt matter how big the motor is you gatta be able to ride it. I only have a 1000, because I wanted to see what it would be like to own one for awhile. Now I wanna go back down to a 750 or 600 maybee even a Ducati 848 love then v-twins.

• Members

250cc bikes are a waste of time unless you plan on riding city streets and going in a radius of 10 miles from your house. I recommend something bigger for learning to ride. If you can ride a bicycle, then you can ride a motorcycle. That being said, learning a bike that small could be a problem and cause you to develop bad happens when you move up to a bigger bike. You'll be able to man-handle a 250 with ease, but you'll struggle if you move to a bigger bike. Get in a bad habit of being off balance with a bigger bike and you won't be able to stop it from falling once it starts.

I don't care what bikes people ride. Makes no difference to me. But be prepared to get laughed at by others on a 250cc bike. I don't do it, but I know a LOT of people that will. Girls can sometimes be the worst ones!

Honda Shadows are good starter bikes. V-Stars are good. Suzuki Boulevards are pretty good too.

If you're serious about wanting to get into riding, get a bike that's a little more than you think you need. I PROMISE you'll want something bigger within a year. I learned how to ride on a Harley 1200, my first bike. Everyone told me buy something bigger because I'd get tired of riding a "girls" bike. I always replied that I just wanted something small to learn on and that I wasn't worried about riding a "girls" bike and gave the old "size doesn't matter" speech. It literally took me about 2 months of riding before I wanted to move up to a bigger bike.

As for where to look, Craigslist, newspaper classifieds, BikeTrader.com, Trader magazines, bike shops, local internet forums, etc are all great places to start.

• Members

The bike is not as crucial as your ability to keep a cool head.

I have been riding proper motorbikes for only a year and a half and I already got a 150hp Honda CBR 954. It really is very easy to drive and safer than the CB750 I had a bit before.

And MUCH MUCH safer than the modified 50CC I rode when I was 16

The most important thing to remember is not to enter corners too fast. Who cares if some people will call you a {censored} because your rear tire is all squared. At least you will be a living {censored}

• Members

Wow. Thanks everyone for the advice.

I don't want a sportsbike. They don't interest me at all. They look uncomfortable anyway.

What's the benefit of a sports bike over a cruiser anyway?

I will definitely look at the 650 and up on the virago.

I prefer the looks of the virago over the shadows.

If it matters, I'm 5'8" and 125 lbs. I'm a small guy. I don't know if that makes a difference or not.

My riding will be a mix of highway and suburban and city driving.

I work in the city and live in staten island.

Thanks again everyone

• Members

I will definitely look at the 650 and up on the virago.

I prefer the looks of the virago over the shadows.

If you're set on the Viragos, do not buy anything older than a 1989. That way you'll be past a lot of the carb and starter problems.

You might also look at some of the newer Kawasaki Vulcans. They have a liquid cooled parallel twin 500 that you can buy for about $4200 brand new.

• Members

I'm not set on a virago, I would pref3er it though over the shadow. That's all.

One other thing I'm so confused as to why the 250's are so goddamn expensive.

But yeah I'm pretty open to whichever bike.

I prefer cruisers to sportbikes.

Anyone wanna chime in why sportbikes might be better?

• Members

I'm not set on a virago, I would pref3er it though over the shadow. That's all.

One other thing I'm so confused as to why the 250's are so goddamn expensive.

But yeah I'm pretty open to whichever bike.

I prefer cruisers to sportbikes.

Anyone wanna chime in why sportbikes might be better?

The 250's are expensive for a few reasons. First of all, it costs almost the same amount of money to R&D and manufacture a 250 as it does a big displacement bike. Second, they're pretty popular. Third, because they're small they're selling them at only a little bit above cost (people see a bigger value in bigger bikes, hence they will pay more for them...a 1600 doesn't cost much more than a 250 to make, but they can charge a lot more for it).

Shadows are great bikes. The older V45 Sabres and Magnas were also very nice....and you can buy them relatively cheap.

IMO, as a guy that's been on bikes several decades and over 100K miles, this is what I would peg as the major differences between sports bikes and cruisers. Others may have differing, equally valid, opinions.

Sports Bikes:

Much better center of gravity, which equates to better turning and better stability in hairy situations

Generally a lot more power, speed, and acceleration

Rider position is specifically designed for maximum bike control, so you sacrifice a bit in overall rider comfort and side/rear fields of vision (can't turn your head/torso as easily)

Generally get thrashed on, so buying used isn't quite as good of an option

Parts are more expensive for the most part. Older cosmetic stuff is almost impossible to find because these bikes get beat up and laid down

More intricate designs, so there is more stuff to go wrong (as you get to the newer cruisers this becomes less of an issue because a lot of them are liquid cooled, fuel injected units like a lot of sports bikes...it's especially noticeable in the first gen, early 80's stuff).

Cruisers:

Bike is built for rider comfort. Bigger seats, more comfortable rider position. A lot of this is personal preference though.

Not as stable or centered as well as sports bikes. Newer Japanese cruisers are kind of a best of both worlds thing...well balanced but still comfortable.

Generally slower and less powerful. If you buy the right bike you'll still have enough oomph to negotiate traffic, you just won't be able to exceed the speed of sound. Also, you have less of a likelihood of doing something stupid or getting yourself into trouble because you won't have a bike that you don't/can't handle in terms of power.

Don't get thrashed on as much. These are the bikes that weekend warriors buy, ride twice, and park in the garage. Thus, there are a lot of used, low mileage, great shape cruisers out there for sale for not a lot of money. The initial depreciation hit from new is pretty brutal, though, in a lot of markets.

Parts are generally cheaper.

For the record, I ride cruisers. I currently own three of them and the wife owns one.

Also, a lot of inexperienced riders will tell you that the power of a sports bike is 'safer' because you can 'accelerate away from problems.' I can tell you that that is absolutely false. Never in my life have I ever even heard of an incident that could've been prevented by being able to go 0-60 in 3 seconds. The big things with bikes is WATCH YOUR {censored}. ALL THE TIME. No matter what you ride, PAY ATTENTION.

• Members

DO NOT listen to idiots that tell you stuff like "it doesn't matter what size you start on", or "get something bigger than you need". That is a receipe for disaster, ESPECIALLY with sportbikes. A modern (2000+) 600CC sportbike is extremely unforgiving to rider mistakes, and when you are starting, you are going to make them. You want something that is forgiving and maybe a bit benign... An SV650 is a great choice. Twins have nice power down low in the powerband and doesn't startle you with any crazy bursts of hard hitting acceleration. An older 600cc sportbike is a nice choice as well (1997 and older). Personally, I'm not a fan of entry level cruisers for learning because of the weight and poor braking capabilities.

Also, I disagree with folks that say dirtbike experience is usless when transitioning to street machines. If you have dirtbike experience, at least you are used to shifting, braking, and balance. Learning that stuff while dealing with traffic can be very unsettling.

Don't be afraid to get a smaller bike to start. Buying used is a great idea as well since you will most likely sell it for what you paid when you are ready to move up. Good luck and stay safe!

Oh yeah, forgot to add... WEAR YOUR GEAR! Don't skimp when it comes to buying a lid. A high quality helmet can save your life. Leave the salad bowl helmets for the weekend warrior Harley posers (not all Harley riders are posers... but you know who you are... ).

• Members

Yeah I'm a little apprehensive about riding a bike but I'm sure the thrill/economics/freedom of it is greater than the risks.

I'm searching long and hard now.

Thanks guys. I really appreciate it

• Members
250cc bikes are a waste of time unless you plan on riding city streets and going in a radius of 10 miles from your house. I recommend something bigger for learning to ride.
If you can ride a bicycle, then you can ride a motorcycle
. That being said, learning a bike that small could be a problem and cause you to develop bad happens when you move up to a bigger bike. You'll be able to man-handle a 250 with ease, but you'll struggle if you move to a bigger bike. Get in a bad habit of being off balance with a bigger bike and you won't be able to stop it from falling once it starts.

I don't care what bikes people ride. Makes no difference to me. But be prepared to get laughed at by others on a 250cc bike. I don't do it, but I know a LOT of people that will. Girls can sometimes be the worst ones!

Honda Shadows are good starter bikes. V-Stars are good. Suzuki Boulevards are pretty good too.

If you're serious about wanting to get into riding, get a bike that's a little more than you think you need. I PROMISE you'll want something bigger within a year. I learned how to ride on a Harley 1200, my first bike. Everyone told me buy something bigger because I'd get tired of riding a "girls" bike. I always replied that I just wanted something small to learn on and that I wasn't worried about riding a "girls" bike and gave the old "size doesn't matter" speech. It literally took me about 2 months of riding before I wanted to move up to a bigger bike.

As for where to look, Craigslist, newspaper classifieds, BikeTrader.com, Trader magazines, bike shops, local internet forums, etc are all great places to start.

Wow!!! I have seen some stupid {censored} posted on this forum but you sir have taken it to a whole new level. :facepalm:

• Members

I don't like the learners bike idea, especially the 250's. You'll out grow it way too fast. For a cruiser, I wouldn't go lower than 850cc or so.

My advice is to go ahead and get the bike you want. Larger CC bikes aren't necessarily more difficult to handle than smaller ones, that idea is complete bull{censored}. My first bike was a 1500, and I'm glad I didn't waste my time and money on a "starter bike" like so many of my friends did. Coincidentally enough, the vast majority of the "starter bike" people gave up riding altogether shortly thereafter, while everyone of my friends who started out on larger bikes still ride regularly, if not exclusively.

A month or so ago I met a 56 yr old woman who had recently bought her first motorcycle, a 1600cc touring bike. She had already put nearly 3k miles on it in a few months time and loved every minute of it. She didn't feel the need to start out with some 250 or 600cc disposable bike, why should you?

and BTW, I know this will bring out the Harley haters, but due to slumping sales, they are offering crazy deals on new bikes. Check out the 1200CC series Sportsters and Dyna series bikes. If I didn't have a larger frame, I would own an HD Forty Eight. Love the looks and it handles amazing for a cruiser. Given your size, it would be perfect for you.

• Members

Yeah I'm a little apprehensive about riding a bike but I'm sure the thrill/economics/freedom of it is greater than the risks.

It's totally normal (and healthy) to be apprehensive about riding a bike for the first time. Most dealers offer some type of training course for new riders. Some places will provide a bike for you to ride if you don't own one yet. Taking that course will do wonders for boosting your confidence on a bike, plus it usually takes a chunk off of your insurance as well.

Alot of seasoned riders could benefit from it too.

Talk to your prospective dealers about it.

• Members

A month or so ago I met a 56 yr old woman who had recently bought her first motorcycle, a 1600cc touring bike. She had already put nearly 3k miles on it in a few months time and loved every minute of it. She didn't feel the need to start out with some 250 or 600cc disposable bike, why should you?

I'll just about guarantee she couldn't pick that thing up if it fell over, which, if that's the case, is a pretty good indication that she's not physically strong enough to move the bike around when body weight and strength counts. I watched some stupid ass woman tip over a brand new...less than 50 miles on it...HD Dyna wide at a stoplight in Tulsa once. I got out an helped her pick it up...no way she could've done it by herself. She got it as her first motorcycle. Major recipe for disaster.

Also, the HD's, no matter how inexpensive they get, won't ever be as affordable as a used import. The XL's are decent bikes, and for the most part HD has solved a lot of their reliability issues, but I simply wouldn't own one. To each their own.

• Members

A sporty is a bad choice for a beginner , {censored} handling and the weight is distributed unevenly .

Most girls who start out with a sporty will even tell you this.

Huh?

While I'm not a fan of Sportsters, calling them a bad choice is a bit much.

{censored} handling? Have you ever ridden a 1200 Sportster? ({censored} the 883, it's a lame dog) It'll out-handle the {censored} out of any softail model HD makes.

As far as the weight distribution, which way do you mean? Other than the RHD, and smaller frame, the layout is almost exactly like the Dyna series.

Archived