School me on Vox Amps

Padrino

• Members

So i've been recently looking into buying an AC30. But since they have a ton of different models out there, and I'm a bit confused as to what is the real deal. A truly vintage one is well out of my price range, but the newer AC30C2 and AC30C2x are well within reason if i can snag one used, even new really for the C2.

Then i see things on the "heritage series" and the CCs and whatever other models they decide to throw out there...

So...whats the deal?

• Members

This is how it goes:

1950's

AC15

AC30 comes out, "TV Front" look (Like the new heritage line) I think it came out w/Vibrato/Tremolo cct ~1958 - 1x12 combo with goodman speaker

AC30 now with 2x12 Celestion BLues

1960's

AC30 looses EF86 preamp tube due to noise and reliability issues -> now 6 inputs instead of 4.

AC30TB "mod" -> Send your AC30 in to get teh Top Boost mod.

AC30TB

AC30TB change company, crappier parts, silicon rectification

1980's

Silicon rectification is standard until early 90's.

1990's (Korg era)

AC30RI, return of the rectifier tube - solid AC30's -> DIrectly based on the 1963 TB model.

2000's (Korg, new design team)

AC30CC - Wharfdale era (X gets you Blues)- (Standard AC30 - complaints about not being a perfect 60's TB hand-wired etc... But really, a few tweaks will do it) - introduced a bunch of new options, like "dwell reverb", different power damping options, blend switch etc..

AC30H Heritage - 60's quality build, no trem, return of EF86

AC30BM - (Brian May from Queen) One knob (volume) amp, with a treble boost button - celestion blues. This simple amp was surprisingly versatile and great souding. Not many in circulation. It contains the VOX tone, but no top boost.

AC30C2 - Standard, no tube rectifier again - similar sound as the CC, greenback speakers (Suffix "X" gets you the Celestion Blues)

Whether you pick a C2 or a Heritage head or whatever, you really can't go wrong.

EDIT: Ammended a few things with soe google research... :p

-D

• Members

The CC series has more tonal options via switches and has a tube rectifier. The new Custom series is more stripped down and has a SS rectifier. The lower end CC had wharfdale speakers which are decent but nothing to write home about. The lower end Custom series has greenbacks. The heritage series is the "handwired" series. I haven't had a chance to play a handwired heritage so I'll let some one else talk about that series.

I've had AC30s from the older Korg models, the Custom Classic line and the Custom line and the new Custom series sounds best to me. All in all, any way you go will be good.

• Members

Buy a used Custom Classic with Barfdales on the cheap. I've been seeing them hover in the $500 range, and then order up a pair of UK made Celestion Blues from Dave @ Avatar Speakers.

Toss teh wharfdales aside, install the Blues and be in it for under $1000.

The Custom Classic has been my favorite of the modern era Vox lineup so far. The English (Korg) made reissues... well... be prepared to crank the living {censored} out of them before they sound decent. For the most part I do not like these amps, and have owned one with Blues. Top Boost channel is STUPIDLY bright, normal channel is DULL, and combining the two didn't really yield pleasant results to my ears. The tremolo has 3 positions to choose from. Get {censored}ed if your music doesn't hit the right tempo to match to the amp. Historically accurate or not, the tremolo always pissed me off in a band. It was also a temperamental beast... some days it was amazing, and other days it would have ghost notes, and no depth to the sound at all.

The Custom Classic has a nice balance between the Top Boost and Normal channels, as well as the ability to link them via mini toggle. Infinitely adjustable tremolo, tube rectifier which adds some sag to the feel at high volumes, wattage selector, and overall just really great tone at most volumes. Because they're made in China, the resale value has went to {censored}. I just sold my AC30CCX for $900 locally, and the amp was mint. Conversely, the Korg reissue went for $1600 right away. $700 more for less features, less versatility, less tone... simply because it was made in the UK... sad really.

The Customs look ok, and the few I played were sounding damn nice. The only reason I say to look at the Custom Classics is due to their lower price on the used market. Of course, the new AC30C2 with Greenbacks is a steal at $1k brand new.

• Members
Buy a used Custom Classic with Barfdales on the cheap. I've been seeing them hover in the $500 range, and then order up a pair of UK made Celestion Blues from Dave @ Avatar Speakers.

The Custom Classic has been my favorite of the modern era Vox lineup so far. The English (Korg) made reissues... well... be prepared to crank the living {censored} out of them before they sound decent. For the most part I do not like these amps, and have owned one with Blues. Top Boost channel is STUPIDLY bright, normal channel is DULL, and combining the two didn't really yield pleasant results to my ears. The tremolo has 3 positions to choose from. Get {censored}ed if your music doesn't hit the right tempo to match to the amp. Historically accurate or not, the tremolo always pissed me off in a band. It was also a temperamental beast... some days it was amazing, and other days it would have ghost notes, and no depth to the sound at all.

The Custom Classic has a nice balance between the Top Boost and Normal channels, as well as the ability to link them via mini toggle. Infinitely adjustable tremolo, tube rectifier which adds some sag to the feel at high volumes, wattage selector, and overall just really great tone at most volumes. Because they're made in China, the resale value has went to {censored}. I just sold my AC30CCX for $900 locally, and the amp was mint. Conversely, the Korg reissue went for $1600 right away. $700 more for less features, less versatility, less tone... simply because it was made in the UK... sad really.

The Customs look ok, and the few I played were sounding damn nice. The only reason I say to look at the Custom Classics is due to their lower price on the used market. Of course, the new AC30C2 with Greenbacks is a steal at $1k brand new.

Good to know about the RI... I've played one but never had to occasion to play for an extented period of time. Didnt use the trem either... Dont remember the top boost being that bright... was at stage volume with a CC, both with blues... To me they sounded pretty close.. :idk:

• Members

I'm going to copy and paste what i said in another thread today, just comparing the AC30 C and CC...

-------------------------------------------
If it's the difference between the c2 and the cc2, get the c2 because as Diaz said the speakers make a big difference and the wharfdales aren't a patch on the greenbacks.

If it's the difference between the c2x and cc2x, get the cc2x AS LONG AS it's a later (maybe 2007 onwards) cc2x otherwise you might run into the various problems earlier versions had including dodgy screws, soldered speaker wire (so can't unplug from head), bass loss in the effects loop, blown rectifiers due to standby switch problems, and slow tremelo speed. These were fixed in the later years of production. (though re: the standby switch it's still pointless with a valve rectified ac30. Don't use it.)

No matter what if you get a new one you'll want to replace all the valves. If you get a cc you'll likely want to do the treble cap mod which is easy.

As far as the rectifier goes, It doesn't make a big difference until the master is cranked and you're hitting the front end hard. Then you'll hear the sag a little and the valve rectifier will sweeten out the highs and lows a bit. I like that effect. The ss rectifier will make the amp a bit stiffer and tighter in those conditions. It also won't blow, ruining your amp. So there's definitely advantages to the ss rectifier. ON sound alone I'd go valve rec, but at sensible volumes it's very hard to tell the difference.

Hope that helps.
-----------------------------------------

• Members
  • Members

I'll add my 2 cents just for another perspective. I played probably 5 CCs and never bonded with any of them. I ran across a 90s Reissue TBX and it totally blew my mind. I picked up a different TBX used and it sounded just as amazing as the one I had played previously.

I'm sure it's just a matter of preference but IMHO, the 90s RIs smoke the CCs. We're probably just going for different sounds but I never fell in love with an AC30 until I played the TBX!

But OP, they are all very very good sounding amps. If you can play some different models I'd suggest you do. But if not I'm sure you'll love whatever you end up getting; they are all very good.

• Members

Hey bro - I think I can get a CC2 for $500. What should I be looking for when testing it?

It looks brand new - what can I inspect to make sure I'm getting a decent amp to throw Blues into?

• Members

Hey bro - I think I can get a CC2 for $500. What should I be looking for when testing it?

It looks brand new - what can I inspect to make sure I'm getting a decent amp to throw Blues into?

Make sure it works?

Check to make sure it's not ghosting notes (hearing strange overtones when you play single notes), no strange popping noises... make sure both channel volumes work... hell... I dunno? Crank it up a bit and make sure there's nothing strange going on.

$500 for a CC... that's not too cheap to raise suspicion.

• Members

Get a used Korg era AC30 and thank me later.

Why?

Spend more for a less flexible amp? It's not like the Korg reissues were made all that well.

Are you people just having nostalgia for discontinued amps with better origins than the current line? UK vs. Chinese made?

{censored}, I'll pocket the $700 difference in price quick, and gain a nice Post Phase Inverter Master Volume, infinitely adjustable tremolo, richer cleans, ability to get nice edge of breakup tones without cranking it to ungodly (read: unuseable) levels, and in my case I had MUCH better reliability records with the CC over that TBX.

Really... what's the benefit of the TBX besides bragging rights about having a "UK made" amp and spending a hefty amount more?

I've A/B'd them to death... never found a TBX that I was entirely thrilled with. Always seemed harsh/stiff compared to the Custom Classics. This is of course using the Blues...

• Members
Why?

Spend more for a less flexible amp? It's not like the Korg reissues were made all that well.

Are you people just having nostalgia for discontinued amps with better origins than the current line? UK vs. Chinese made?

{censored}, I'll pocket the $700 difference in price quick, and gain a nice Post Phase Inverter Master Volume, infinitely adjustable tremolo, richer cleans, ability to get nice edge of breakup tones without cranking it to ungodly (read: unuseable) levels, and in my case I had MUCH better reliability records with the CC over that TBX.

Really... what's the benefit of the TBX besides bragging rights about having a "UK made" amp and spending a hefty amount more?

I've A/B'd them to death... never found a TBX that I was entirely thrilled with. Always seemed harsh/stiff compared to the Custom Classics. This is of course using the Blues...

Did you just say "you people.'' What's that supposed to mean? :)

It's a personal preference. I agree that Mel's comment was a bit black/white but you act as if their is no legitimate reason for owning a Korg era UK AC30. I believe for what I'm looking for that there is.

You prefer the CCs, some folks prefer the TBX. I've had totally opposite experiences with CCs reliability vs. TBX. Different strokes.

As I said before, I much prefer the TBX. I prefer the sound/response of them and have had much fewer reliability issues with TBXs as opposed to CCs. I've played multiples of each and the TBX won FOR ME every time. I have absolutely no desire to sell my TBX for a CC.

Just trying to add a bit of perspective. Not all TBX owners are China haters with tin ears. :)

• Members
I gotcha
:)

Dude says this thing is like new - for some reason i'm TERRIFIED of used gear. I just get so nervous that I'm missing out on new mojo.

The AC30C2 sounds tight in demos and I wouldn't have to f with speaker installs.

• Members

Get a used Korg era AC30 and thank me later.

But you fail to recognise that Korg era AC30's are from the 90's to present day! Korg still owns the Vox name ever since they bought it back in the early 90's when they commissioned the Marshall factory in the UK to build them. Just now they sent 'em overseas to China to be made. Yes they are different now...they are master volume but they're all KORG!!

• Members
Dude says this thing is like new - for some reason i'm TERRIFIED of used gear. I just get so nervous that I'm missing out on new mojo.

The AC30C2 sounds tight in demos and I wouldn't have to f with speaker installs.

Dont it just!

Those arguing over the AC30 TBX vs the Custom Classics or current AC30C2....well I have both, and can see the appeal of the modern features like master volume, reverb and FX loop...but I can see also how the purists want an AC30 circuit that is as close as you can get to the original 60's AC30's! The chinese master volumes are more user friendly...but the others are purer and have no extras in the circuit. They (TBX) if any are true AC30's because the new ones are a different animal to the amp that became a legend. IMO of course! When was an AC30 ever master volume and have an FX loop?? Never untill the AC30CC's and AC30C2's!

All good take your pick!:thu:

• Members

They're tube amps, man. Buying used gear isn't a big deal... it's not rocket science. If it seems strange/off then don't buy it. If anything, you buy an amp that has proven it's reliability. New amps can have bugs that aren't discovered until it's been rocked for a bit.

Go to www.avatarspeakers.com and buy a couple brand new Celestion Blues for $229 a piece. They're the premier speaker for the AC30, and you'll come out cheaper than the new model with Greenbacks. I'd venture to say speakers have far more of an effect on tone than the different late model AC30's. In addition, the main part of the amp I would worry about (the speakers) would be brand new.

Archived