SOT: Band Guys that play out.

NixerX

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Pretty much never, unless we have new medleys to work out.

New songs... we just do a run during soundcheck.

We clock 50-60 shows a year this way :)

Of course, we'll never really make it out of the bar scene that way, not that we care

• Members

Band 1: arrive at 7.30, sort of get going around 8pm, finish at 11pm sharp.

Band 2: same, except end at 10.30pm ish.

Both once per week.

Week in, week out. Sometimes with Band 1, we'll not have a practice after a gig. Hard getting motivation up for some members.

• Members

Cover Band - Rehearse once a month, more if we are adding new songs. We usually play 60-65 songs a gig. Gig once a month.

When I was in your role in an original band, we rehearsed twice a week. But sometimes the second rehearsal seemed too soon, and not enough time had passed for us to work on our parts. I would record every rehearsal with a Zoom H2, then give the guys CD's of the session. Between rehearsals we would listen to the CD's and figure out what we needed to change.

3 times a week seems crazy unless you are prepping for the studio or writing a bunch of new material.

• Members

I haven't rehearsed with the cover band in 4 years (we play 1 to 2 nights per week)

When we bring new stuff in the singer/ bass player and I play / learn them when we play in the Duo version of the band. (1 to 2 nights per week)
In this format we both play guitar and sing.
We play 2 to 3 nights per week between the two formats.
Generally we know the songs anyway so its just following a lyric / chord chart and remembering the key riffs etc.
Then when we've got the lyrics, arrangement and harmonies (the basic song down in this format) we through the song into the band format which is adding a drummer and the singer switching to bass...
The rest is just jammed!!!
As long as you know the song and the format who wants to rehearse.

Too many people get caught using rehearsals as a way of practicing their instrument.

• Members

We play all originals (sig)

Wednesdays from 8 to 10

Sundays from 3-6

Some Sundays we designate "The Day of Rawk" and start about noon and go till 10. A lot of it is spend trying new things including switching instruments and jamming (A really awesome exorcise btw) and drinking beer.

• Members

We rely heavily on outside practice, and practice as a band once per week.

This. Although we played 4 gigs last summer in a 3 month period where we didn't practice together at all. I wish we practiced together more, because we'd be tighter, but our schedules don't mesh worth a {censored}.

• Members

As little as possible, but each band is different. Often there will be a solid week of work before the first show, and after that, usually nothing.
Soundchecks often get used for ironing out any issues from previous gigs.
I always arrived well prepared and don't regard rehearsals as part of my social life.

• Moderators

As little as possible, but each band is different. Often there will be a solid week of work before the first show, and after that, usually nothing.

Soundchecks often get used for ironing out any issues from previous gigs.

I always arrived well prepared and don't regard rehearsals as part of my social life.

Yeah, I have an hour drive home after practice, so I want to get in and out as quick as possible. My favorite is when I make that drive so I can watch the drummer and the singer make up the set list. For some reason its important I'm there for that.

• Members

It depends.

If we have new songs to add to the set list, we rehearse once.

If not, we don't.

This. We're off later to add some new Floyd and RHCP tunes to the set list, but it's the first practice we've done in weeks.

Gigging and hosting jam nights every week keeps you well rehearsed.

Archived