And you thought that AXE-FX was a game changer...

teemuk

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've been working on SS circuits that rival tube amps easily. There's just one problem: nobody wants to buy them because they're snobs :poke:

Also, the work that goes into building an SS amp is not that much less than building a tube amp, but people still except solid states to be priced in the sub-$1000 range, while they gladly pay 3000 bucks for a glorified tube amp

Edit: aw, was going to record but the breadboard is a bit {censored}ed up at the moment.. I'll post later... promise :)

_MG_6665.JPG

Find where the wires are touching / not touching and I'll make good on that clip :)

btw. I've now thrown this project aside, after talking with some of my clients (lol, clients, I sell like 2 guitar pedals a month :p ) the first thing they all responded with was "but why don't build it with tubes?" ... I'm now working on a power supply for a tube pre-amp, giving in to pressure and the chance for money

• Members

{censored}ing awesome rig. Incredible that all that tone is coming from a solid state amp with no digital effects.

What a great time to be a guitar player. {censored} is just getting cooler and cooler. The amount of affordable gear is absolutely mind blowing these days. {censored}, when I was a pup you had to beg borrow and steal just to scrape up 1k for a "decent sounding" setup. I remember when Digitech 2112s alone were over 1K. That's no cab, no power amp, and you sure the {censored} weren't plugging it into a computer.

Fun times to be a player, that's for sure.

• Members

I've been working on SS circuits that rival tube amps easily. There's just one problem: nobody wants to buy them because they're snobs :poke:

Also, the work that goes into building an SS amp is not that much less than building a tube amp, but people still except solid states to be priced in the sub-$1000 range, while they gladly pay 3000 bucks for a glorified tube amp

(just to back up my claim, I'll post clips of my circuits later tonight
:)
)

I think you need to post a video like the OP that clearly displays it's likeness to a Tube amp. I mean, in the OP you can clearly tell the amp responds to picking changes, and just has a very warm tone. Get it to sound like a tube amp, and post enticing videos, and I'll bet you'd get more lookers :cool:

• Members

)

I've had the same experience. I never got around too designing a power amp stage since I don't have much experience with it. I Don't know much about mosfets yet. Going through a tube power amp, it was hard to tell a difference.

• Members

I've been working on SS circuits that rival tube amps easily.
There's just one problem: nobody wants to buy them because they're snobs
:poke:

)

That's true to a certain extent, but I think the winds of change are blowin. {censored} bro if people can start making SS amps that have THAT kind of tone without the digital bull{censored} veil constantly reminding you that your tone isn't really tone at all, then I think tubes will lose ground fast.

There will always be those that buy an inferior product because a certain stigma is attached to the owner (see Harley Davidson and Gibson), but consumers are getting smarter and less brand loyal now that their dollar means more than their brand penis. Like I said, there will always be the snobs, but it's getting more rare that it has anything to do with a superior product. Keep bangin away. I'd love to hear what your cooking up.

:thu:

• Members

What does the tone have over the Tech 21 TM-60? I hear some similarities in the tone between the two. This amp does sound at tad bit better, but the tech 21 tm-60's can be had for $350 used and they have a xlr out that's fantastic direct to the pa, they have two channels, and if you want a head, build your own head shell. It seems like it's just a booteek tech 21.

• Members

The way I see it , if you want vintage tone and want it to respond like a tube amp .... Just buy a old tube amp..lol

Easily find jcm800 under $1000.

Why do you ss guys want a ss amp that's close to sounding like a tube amp then bash people who prefer the real deal is beyond me.

Archived