OT: I need some motivation. Feeling lazy in general.

Chrisjd

• Members
Busier than flies on a dung pile! But life is good.
:)

From the posts I've seen from you here and there things appear to be WAY better than a year ago, good for you! Heaps of happiness and success upon you amigo.
:thu:

Yeah, man...they really have been. And I have you to thank for a lot of it too!! Glad to hear you are doing well man!!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This may or may not help ...

I'm a developer / programmer, and work in an engineering context, known world wide in my industry as an innovative solution provider.

I'm currently underpaid (by about 40%) for the tens of millions I save and/or profit the company I work for.

This was highly counter motivational.

It began to affect my work ethic because I thought they didn't deserve me (I still think this).

But the thing is I love what I do.

Programming was a hobby turned career -- I actually studied engineering.

So I had to deliberately, and very consciously separate my compensation from my work.

As simple as that seems I'm back to a place of joy.

I dig what I do -- I'm passionate about it -- my work ethic is strong -- I'm working as hard as I ever have for this company -- I'm busier than {censored}.

And it shows.

Many have commented on my work attitude, asked "what is your secret" etc.

More and more people come to me for solutions and/or advice.

Many have asked me to teach them (and I do).

From outside my department too.

Maybe the company will notice and step up.

Or not.

Or maybe I'll get an unsolicited offer (has happened several times before) and I'll walk.

Or maybe I'll apply for another job and will have tons of references available here because of my most excellent performance and reliability.

Or maybe I'll just be happy with myself for rising above and setting, and maintaining my own definition / benchmark for success.

Subtitle: Buckets o' self respect.

All of the above is gold in my book because 30+ years of empirical evidence supports the notion "the money will come". Until then "stay the course soldier, the battle wages".

To summarize: Work hard, it pays in many ways.

Love, Izzy.

:o

Having passion for a job/career would be nice. I'm currently an Interaction Designer...I have very little motivation for what I do and I work for a really good company...I wish I could feel like you do about your work.

If I could get paid like I do now, but have a career in music, that would be alright with me. I'm not talking rockstar BS either.

• Members

hey chris i have news for you, it never changes. I am ten years your senior, i run my own business and here is what i am thinking about all day at work:
1. I wonder what my daughter is doing right now
2. what am i going to have for lunch
3. can i talk the hot girl from the bank into sex one day
4. I wonder what (insert amp) sounds like
5. Do i want to sell my LP or see if i can learn to love it
6. watching some random mma fight and analyize somebodys mistakes

In between these thoughts/actions i conduct business while secretly thinking of all these things. When i was 26 sex was on my mind all the time, a little older i have other things to wonder too but we all do it man. Just be happy with your life outside of work, not everybody loves their job. As long as you dont hate it with the fire of a thousand suns, just do {censored} outside of it to fill your life so you have things to look forward to when you get home/weekend.

• Members
OMG:facepalm:

I'm sitting here slinging med sup, individual health, and life insurance.

You have my life.
:idea::cry:

:lol: I have my life license too but i don't focus much on it.

I have a {censored}load of continuing education coming up, i {censored}ing hate those ridiculous classes.

• Members
hey chris i have news for you, it never changes. I am ten years your senior, i run my own business and here is what i am thinking about all day at work:

1. I wonder what my daughter is doing right now

2. what am i going to have for lunch

3. can i talk the hot girl from the bank into sex one day

4. I wonder what (insert amp) sounds like

5. Do i want to sell my LP or see if i can learn to love it

6. watching some random mma fight and analyize somebodys mistakes

In between these thoughts/actions i conduct business while secretly thinking of all these things. When i was 26 sex was on my mind all the time, a little older i have other things to wonder too but we all do it man. Just be happy with your life outside of work, not everybody loves their job. As long as you dont hate it with the fire of a thousand suns, just do {censored} outside of it to fill your life so you have things to look forward to when you get home/weekend.

haha nurp, sounds very familiar. I do the same thing more or less.... You sound like you're a very positive person though so I admire that.:thu:

• Members
:lol:
I have my life license too but i don't focus much on it.

I have a {censored}load of continuing education coming up, i {censored}ing hate those ridiculous classes.

I just did 2 hours Long Term Care Annuities last week. Some senior citizen's hearing aid was feedback the whole two hours. HE should have been in a nursing home, and NOT slinging insurance.

He was like, " HUH? WHAT IS A QUALIFIED ACCOUNT?!? I'VE BEEN IN THIS BUSINESS FOR 50 YEARS?? WHAT IS AN ANNUITY??? HUH? WHAT?":confused::confused::confused::confused::mad:

• Members
Having passion for a job/career would be nice ...

"... If you don't know where you're going you'll end up somewhere else ..." (I don't know originally who said it, but it was in a book I read not to long ago).

Subtitle: Life is way too short to waste it on work you don't love. Amongst your many skills and talents find out what you enjoy doing that people will pay you to do, and make a plan to make that your career.

May take a year, may take five -- but plan it, do it.

Or just play your chances, hoping your dream job will just happen all by itself, and find twenty years have slipped thru your fingers and you still hate what you do but sadly do not have the energy required to change course.

Not pontificating -- I spent many years in jobs I hated -- hate to see anyone else suffer similarly.

Love, izzy.

:o

• Members

This may sound kinda lame, but I reached my main goal in life at 25... that goal has always been to earn a living as a musician.

I'm not a rockstar, or even one of the guitarists behind the rockstars. I rarely ever gig, but I do spend a lot of time doing production work or recording, but mainly I teach. I like teaching very, very much, even in time periods where I'm a little more cash strapped. I have friends who are bringing home $100k thousand a year by themselves and all they do is work, work, work. I put in 25 hours a week at the studio and the rest of my time is my own. After taxes I clear about $35k a year, but that's ok. I don't have kids or anything like that (not anything I ever wanted) so I'm pretty content. I'm young enough I could still change my mind if I wanted to, but as far as I'm concerned I'm lucky to do what I do and really don't need anything more. :idk:

• Members

back in the day i was a copier salesmen right out of college and part of my job was to cold call businesses. Well i went into a John Hancock to cold call them and it just so happens that the manager of the place was up front with the secretary and he was so taken back by the fact i had the balls to walk right into his company and basically sell myself on them without any invitation that he wanted to sign me up on the spot for a job selling life insurance. I said what the hell, if i can make more money im all for it. salesmen are mercenaries anyway. So he interviews me and it goes great and i feel like im probably going to go back to my office and quit and take a job at John Hancock. He tells me about the training and tests or whatever then he hands me a piece of paper and tells me to write down 50 names of people i could get to buy life insurance. I was like wtf is this? I politely said i had to get back to my office and called him later on and said that the job wasnt for me. I didnt have the heart to do that i guess. that is a very tough business, i give you guys credit i couldnt do it.

• Members

It's really about taking enjoyment out of success in what you do.

As simple as this: Think of where you are now, and think of where you want to be in 5 years. Fill in the blanks of how you are going to make that happen for yourself, and then get out there and DO IT.

The GF, the guitar, and the Gym will always be constant variables...they will be there through thick and thin, so don't treat them like they are the prize, because they aren't (and by GF I do not mean necessarily the specific person, but the idea of having a GF).

Once you realize there are larger goals and more important objectives in life than banging the GF, riffing, and hitting the gym, not only will you be able to enjoy these wonderful past-times even more, you will be pleasantly surprised at how much harder you will work on your career.

Always be trying to grow: as a career-man and as an individual. If you find there is something that is hindering your growth, eliminate it.

Remember: You aren't the only one who has experienced the "rut"...but don't turn into one of those pathetic souls who never finds their way out. Make it happen bud. :thu: If you cannot find the excitement and drive you are looking for within your current career, then my best advice is to get out of what you are currently doing and find something that not only excites you, but drives to you be the best that you can be.

Any largely successful person will tell you the same thing: You have to be excited about the work that you do in order to be the best at it.

GL.

• Members
I am a 26 year old guy. New homeowner. Decent job. Awesome girlfriend etc.

I feel like I am becoming too complacent with my life. I feel like I have to struggle to care about my job. This is a job that requires me to work hard and perform at a high level right now so that I can get my own agency/practice and I am not doing as good as I should. As much as I try to care more, I am having a difficult time finding that motivation/discipline to achieve more.

I started noticing this when I began dating my current GF. All I want to do is have sex with her all day, workout, and play guitar. This is all I think about when I am working lol. It's pathetic and I am embarrased to admit it.

Have any of you been in motivational rutts like this? If so, do you have any advice on how to push through them and get a good work ethic/drive back?

Count your blessings. Enjoy what you have. Don't be a whiner, which is what you sound like. Sorry, that's my honest opinion. Life isn't always an amusement park. There are boring stretches. If you think, working, playing guitar, owning a home and {censored}ing your woman is boring, maybe you should sell your gear and your home, dump your girl, start sleeping under a bridge and sucking cock. I am sure you will find that life much more interesting.

Whoa... that was harsh...:p sorry.:wave:

• Members

Complacency is definitely a recurring issue during one's career. Lots of different ways you can try addressing it. You can try thinking of how you'll feel if you lost the things that have made you feel complacent (such as lost your job, perhaps not being able to make mortgage payments, girlfriend leaving you, etc) and use that anger/frustration/unhappy feeling as motivation to work harder and make sure that {censored} doesn't happen. This approach may have unintended consequences, but I guess that depends more on your personality. You can also try the inverse of the above and just think happy thoughts and use that as motivation. You seem to be a fan of metal so I suggest going more with the first approach as it is the more dark and brutal approach lol.

One thing that works for me is reading. I have a finance-related job and when things get really grueling and I'm feeling a bit burnt out I read finance/history/investing books. It gets me thinking about other ways of approaching issues and, in some cases, are just interesting stories. Also, it's a bit of a divergence from the specific stuff I deal with at work but is still relevant enough that it helps me as well. There are a lot of risk management and statistics books that many insurance industry people should read. Check out "Against the Gods" and "The Black Swan" for starters.

It sounds like you are more on the sales side of insurance (correct me if I am wrong). Maybe you can try dabbling on the more quantitative side of your business. I've dealt with some financial advisors before and many of them just try to sell/BS you and can't support anything with data/numbers. Your clients may find it impressive if you can explain the qualitative and quantitative side of things.

• Members

I am a 26 year old guy. New homeowner. Decent job. Awesome girlfriend etc.

I feel like I am becoming too complacent with my life. I feel like I have to struggle to care about my job. This is a job that requires me to work hard and perform at a high level right now so that I can get my own agency/practice and I am not doing as good as I should. As much as I try to care more, I am having a difficult time finding that motivation/discipline to achieve more.

I started noticing this when I began dating my current GF. All I want to do is have sex with her all day, workout, and play guitar. This is all I think about when I am working lol. It's pathetic and I am embarrased to admit it.

Have any of you been in motivational rutts like this? If so, do you have any advice on how to push through them and get a good work ethic/drive back?

Thats not a rut for me thats every day life.

Archived