OT: I need some motivation. Feeling lazy in general.

Chrisjd

• Members

I am a 26 year old guy. New homeowner. Decent job. Awesome girlfriend etc.

I feel like I am becoming too complacent with my life. I feel like I have to struggle to care about my job. This is a job that requires me to work hard and perform at a high level right now so that I can get my own agency/practice and I am not doing as good as I should. As much as I try to care more, I am having a difficult time finding that motivation/discipline to achieve more.

I started noticing this when I began dating my current GF. All I want to do is have sex with her all day, workout, and play guitar. This is all I think about when I am working lol. It's pathetic and I am embarrased to admit it.

Have any of you been in motivational rutts like this? If so, do you have any advice on how to push through them and get a good work ethic/drive back?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Set a single meaningful & measurable goal overlapping your employer's needs and your own long-term objectives & make it so. Repeat until you feel motivated then make it two concurrent goals. I found that I got into these ruts when I either didn't have a clear goal, just "do your job well" or when I had too many goals at the same time and family/exercise/guitar became an escape from overload.

• Members

there really isnt anything that someone can do to jumpstart motivation, it just happens. I go through those phases when I get bored at work (I basically have been cleaning up other peoples messes for the past 4 years, which is annoying but fun because of the challenge. as soon as the challenge is gone, I get bored and end up leaving).

Now that I am with a company I want to stay with, and have a home that I LOVE, I just suck it up remind myself of the sacrifices I need to make to enjoy the life I have. sorry.

• Members

Im in a motivational rut right now dude. Im just chugging along, doing just above the bare minimum to get by, and its making me feel more lazy. Definitely try to set some goals. My boss is helping me with this right now, since Im pretty new to the job still, shes helping me set long term (like 1-2 year) project goals for my own projects. Im finding that goals really help me get motivated...Same with the band...things have been pretty slow, but we are starting to set goals, and every one is getting motivated by that.

• Members

Set a single meaningful & measurable goal overlapping your employer's needs and your own long-term objectives & make it so. Repeat until you feel motivated then make it two concurrent goals. I found that I got into these ruts when I either didn't have a clear goal, just "do your job well" or when I had too many goals at the same time and family/exercise/guitar became an escape from overload.

Good advice thanks.

• Members

It's coming this week
:lol:;)

Hoooooly crap. Cant wait to hear what you think about it and how you think it compares to others that you have had.

But really, I can definitely see how you could be in a rut. It seems everything is going great, but everything is kinda the same...no real challenges anymore. Nothing you feel strongly about chasing...But yeah man, setting some short term and long term goals will help, for sure.

• Members

In my field I'm working on certifications. Its something to add to the resume that makes you feel good and is outside of normal work experience, definitely pushes you.

Or... Go back to school for another degree. Education usually helps you focus and lets you know there is more to things than your current job.

• Members

This may or may not help ...

I'm a developer / programmer, and work in an engineering context, known world wide in my industry as an innovative solution provider.

I'm currently underpaid (by about 40%) for the tens of millions I save and/or profit the company I work for.

This was highly counter motivational.

It began to affect my work ethic because I thought they didn't deserve me (I still think this).

But the thing is I love what I do.

Programming was a hobby turned career -- I actually studied engineering.

So I had to deliberately, and very consciously separate my compensation from my work.

As simple as that seems I'm back to a place of joy.

I dig what I do -- I'm passionate about it -- my work ethic is strong -- I'm working as hard as I ever have for this company -- I'm busier than {censored}.

And it shows.

Many have commented on my work attitude, asked "what is your secret" etc.

More and more people come to me for solutions and/or advice.

Many have asked me to teach them (and I do).

From outside my department too.

Maybe the company will notice and step up.

Or not.

Or maybe I'll get an unsolicited offer (has happened several times before) and I'll walk.

Or maybe I'll apply for another job and will have tons of references available here because of my most excellent performance and reliability.

Or maybe I'll just be happy with myself for rising above and setting, and maintaining my own definition / benchmark for success.

Subtitle: Buckets o' self respect.

All of the above is gold in my book because 30+ years of empirical evidence supports the notion "the money will come". Until then "stay the course soldier, the battle wages".

To summarize: Work hard, it pays in many ways.

Love, Izzy.

:o

• Members

This may or may not help ...

I'm a developer / programmer, and work in an engineering context, known world wide in my industry as an innovative solution provider.

I'm currently underpaid (by about 40%) for the tens of millions I save and/or profit the company I work for.

This was highly counter motivational.

It began to affect my work ethic because I thought they didn't deserve me (I still think this).

But the thing is I love what I do.

Programming was a hobby turned career -- I actually studied engineering.

So I had to deliberately, and very consciously separate my compensation from my work.

As simple as that seems I'm back to a place of joy.

I dig what I do -- I'm passionate about it -- my work ethic is strong -- I'm working as hard as I ever have for this company -- I'm busier than {censored}.

And it shows.

Many have commented on my work attitude, asked "what is your secret" etc.

More and more people come to me for solutions and/or advice.

Many have asked me to teach them (and I do).

From outside my department too.

Maybe the company will notice and step up.

Or not.

Or maybe I'll get an unsolicited offer (has happened several times before) and I'll walk.

Or maybe I'll apply for another job and will have tons of references available here because of my most excellent performance and reliability.

Or maybe I'll just be happy with myself for rising above and setting, and maintaining my own definition / benchmark for success.

Subtitle: Buckets o' self respect.

All of the above is gold in my book because 30+ years of empirical evidence supports the notion "the money will come". Until then "stay the course soldier, the battle wages".

To summarize: Work hard, it pays in many ways.

Love, Izzy.

:o

Epic. As always. How have you been dude!!

• Members

Epic. As always. How have you been dude!!

Busier than flies on a dung pile! But life is good. :)

From the posts I've seen from you here and there things appear to be WAY better than a year ago, good for you! Heaps of happiness and success upon you amigo. :thu:

Archived