Would you pay $6K for a tube amp

teemuk

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Sure, it'll get you close, but after this, close seems so far away...the amp was like crack.

SRV sometimes played through an old Marshall or Fender with his tubescreamer setup and sounded the same. If it takes a very expensive amp to sound a bit like him, maybe the player should look into something else like '80s new wave keyboard playing. :cool: Just my take. Nothing wrong with liking whatever amp works for you.

• Members

I got into the whole Boutiqe craze trying out one of Bob's amps- This {censored}er right here-

DSC01043.jpg

DSC01048.jpg

I bought two amps that arrived the same day.

A Budda Superdrive 18 combo, and this puppy. The BG50210. I piad $800.

This amp crushed the Superdrive. And every other combo I've heard. With a Fulldrive it feels like a real Marshall. I went on a quest to find another amp as good. Handmade is better, right? Nope. Spent thousands of dollars. Did not find anything better. Two Rock, etc...nothing.

Well, except Tommy. Tommy Cougar can build an amp

FF to 2011, I see the 6K amp auction, and offered to do some clips for the company...and they sent me every one they had. WTF?? :-)

Two SSS styles, and an ODS. All three sounded amazing. I gave the ODS back along with the 6550 SSS style. I've ended up with a 6L6.

• Members

SRV sometimes played through an old Marshall or Fender with his tubescreamer setup and sounded the same. If it takes a very expensive amp to sound a bit like him, maybe the player should look into something else like '80s new wave keyboard playing.
:cool:
Just my take. Nothing wrong with liking whatever amp works for you.

Dude..that is EXACTLY what I'm playing through right now. I've got a good JCM 800, and a 64 Vibroverd RI I picked up for 900 bucks. The {censored}ing rig kills.

HOWEVER, it's not the Texas Flood "feel". Can't explain it any other way. Bob has got the Dumble vibe down.

• Members
I got into the whole Boutiqe craze trying out one of Bob's amps- This {censored}er right here-

I bought two amps that arrived the same day.

A Budda Superdrive 18 combo, and this puppy. The BG50210.

This amp crushed the Superdrive. And every other combo I've heard.
With a Fulldrive it feels like a real Marshall.
I went on a quest to find another amp as good. Handmade is better, right? Nope. Spent thousands of dollars. Did not find anything better. Two Rock, etc...nothing.

Well, except Tommy. Tommy Cougar can build an amp

FF to 2011, I see the 6K amp auction, and offered to do some clips for the company...and they sent me every one they had. WTF?? :-)

Two SSS styles, and an ODS. All three sounded amazing. I gave the ODS back along with the 6550 SSS style. I've ended up with a 6L6.

:freak:

so a 6k amp with a generic od pedal sounds like a marshall eh?

SUPER silly question.... WHY NOT JUST BUY A MARSHALL???

• Members
:freak:

so a 6k amp with a generic od pedal sounds like a marshall eh?

SUPER silly question.... WHY NOT JUST BUY A MARSHALL???

I paid $800 for the combo. Sorry, shoulda clairified. And man, it sounds soo good. I've never heard a better combo.

FWIW- I DID pick up an 82 JCM 800 Halfstack for $700 in March. So I've got that covered too. (900 series cab, but so what? $700 bucks!!)

• Members
andybaylor, I'm trying to figure you out.

Keep posting.

I'm diggin the Collie in your avatar. I have the exact model. He rules.

IMG_1461.jpg

I'm new to HC, stiring some {censored} up. Can't do this on The Gear Page.

BUT, I've played the amps. And they killed! I swear!

• Members

If I had the money, yes I would throw down $6k for an amp. It better do just about everything though.

With a Carl Martin Plexitone, and delay....it sounded like Van Halen I.

It did. I swear it did. The amp ate that pedal UP!

It sounded so good, I hated it.

Archived