Anything better than a 5150 in the same price range

jr_vw2

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Blackstar HT-100.......better cleans, 3 channels ect

classic 50.............Better cleans, reverb (personal fave)

I seriously cannot understand why everyone loves the 6505, its a wollowy yet, buzzy sounding mess. And i dont give a {censored} if it cuts better then most amps, its crap when you are trying to get 2 amps to mix and the 6505 sounds {censored}ty coz you have scooped it out too much to get it to sit with some dickheads spider 75 watter....

You've never played a 6505.

• Members

it doesnt make sense. a 5150 sounds like {censored} because its scooped to let you hear a spider next to it?

They are a great amp for cutting a mix, i get it, but if i was to get my ENGL fireball and boost a heap of low mids into it with an EQ it would have the same result no? I would take my classic 50 anyday of the week, they are smoother with just enough gain for metal and cut just fine.

Im not too much of a fan of the scooped sound on the 6505 either but i found myself doing just that to try and get it to sit in the mix, the spider i mentioned was a mates we tried mixing the 2 and it was a bit of a rant. I still hate their sound.

• Members

I can't think of another way to discribe {censored}ty overpowering low mids.

Words that make sense is a start :lol:

I know what you are saying though somewhat. To me, the 5150 is just very middy. It has an overabundance of all mids. I wouldn't even say low mids since mine sits next to 2 Mesas. It just has mids everywhere. Actually, IMO you cannot midscoop a 5150 because it has so many mids, it is still mid heavy with the mids knob on 0.

But, the domination of mids is a love/hate sort of thing. Some days I love the scraping mids sound it has, other times I have to turn it off and go play another amp cause it annoys the {censored} out of me.

• Members

i borrowed a mates for about 4 months, tried a few guitars and cabs but its just got that wollowy mid that im no fan of. I have also played next to a few. I just dont ficking like them, is it so hard to comprehend?

Read your own previous posts then read what I just quoted and behold the hypocrisy.

• Members

They are a great amp for cutting a mix, i get it, but if i was to get my
ENGL fireball and boost a heap of low mids into it with an EQ it would have the same result no
? I would take my classic 50 anyday of the week, they are smoother with just enough gain for metal and cut just fine.

Im not too much of a fan of the scooped sound on the 6505 either but i found myself doing just that to try and get it to sit in the mix, the spider i mentioned was a mates we tried mixing the 2 and it was a bit of a rant. I still hate their sound.

Yeah, but, you spend way more on the Fireball/EQ than you do on the 6505 to get the same result.

.. So, why bother with the Fireball? :confused:

• Members
Yeah, but, you spend way more on the Fireball/EQ than you do on the 6505 to get the same result.

.. So, why bother with the Fireball?
:confused:

I guess i was making a point about the "cut" of the 6505, everyone says it cuts a mix well. I said the fireball coz i have alot of experience with that amp.

If we are going to stay on topic i still stand by my first post by the classic 50 and the HT-100 are great metal amp alternatives.

• Members

I personally have never liked the voicing of the 5150's. They are definitely a great bang for the buck with a ton of gain.

Understandable. I have the same feeling about Marshall. The fact remains though that the 5150's track record speaks for itself. There is simply no better amp for metal in even close to the same price range.

• Members

Understandable. I have the same feeling about Marshall. The fact remains though that the 5150's track record speaks for itself. There is simply no better amp for metal in even close to the same price range.

Isn't it marshalls that are recorded more for heavy music then 6505s?

• Members

I'm not calling you out here but, do you have a source of this info? I'm interested in this is all

Just go visit the Sneap forum and read through a couple amp threads. I don't recall ever seeing Marshall mentioned over there.

• Members

What's out there that is better or just as good as the 5150 in about the same price range. Playing metal (unearth type stuff) I already have a 5150 I like it but looking to add to the collection.

I don't get what you're asking since IDK what better means. Better quality? Better Tone (Whatever this means)?

Different amp with the same voicing?

Different amp that complements? For this, have you looked at a Krank Rev?

Archived