Anything better than a 5150 in the same price range

jr_vw2

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Personally I think JSX/XXX/Ultra amps sound better than the 6505 series. Those amps don't sound bad but they aren't all that. My JSX eats my friend's 5150 all day long. To be fair they do different things, so depending on what you want, one amp or the other may be a better fit. I thought about getting the 6505+ or a 6534+, but I decided to work towards getting a Roadster since they sound bigger and have more options.

• Members

What the {censored} is it with all the 5150 threads? I dont know which is worse, all the talk about 5150s or JCA. Anyway....

Staying away from other Peaveys and the more expensive amps;

IMO the DSL's sound better and can do almost the exact same thing. In a blind boosted metal test between a 6505+ and DSL100, the owner of the 6505+ (and a 5150) got them mixed up. The DSL has a great full sounding clean channel which is further enhanced with reverb. Crunch mode is basically an 800 clone so boosting it is pure sex. It does metal, it does rock, it does clean. It will even scoop out the mids unlike the 5150 if youre into that thing. The're cheap and plentiful. Also the control layout is much like the 5150 so getting used to it is a walk in the park.

Archived