Who is the most amazing player that did nothing that impressed you?

ComOp

• Members

Beautifully played but still comes off sort of flat IMO.

Funny that he apparently cant do vibrato with out a whammy though.

He does it because he favors the wide range...he CAN do vibrato.

You say he comes of as flat...could you at least explain WHY?

And then ask Willie Nelson, Waylon Jennings, Kris Kristofferson and Johnny Cash why they would call on such a "flat" player for his abilities?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Eric Johnson. Never really listened much to him other than a few tunes that I felt were amazing. I won tickets to see him one year and was pretty hyped. ended up walking out half way through cause I was bored to death. Somewhere along my musical journey I became all about songwriting and lyrical content rather than monster chops.

• Members

Definitely agree with Shawn Lane. I also have to add Holdsworth for me, even though I currently listen to more jazz than anything else.

I'll also add almost every single person (who I've heard) that falls into the shredder category too, although some of them have never done anything amazing musically imo...

• Members

Eric Johnson. Never really listened much to him other than a few tunes that I felt were amazing. I won tickets to see him one year and was pretty hyped. ended up walking out half way through cause I was bored to death. Somewhere along my musical journey I became all about songwriting and lyrical content rather than monster chops.

Unfortunately I have to agree on that. I really want to like EJ. I really like his tone a lot. Too many times I've heard his gear demonstrations, and people playing 'in the style of Eric Johnson', and loved it. Then I listen to the man himself and his music and am disappointed.

As in, I prefer this guy's playing to anything I've ever heard EJ do...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDHiNuKTF78

• Members

Interesting, have you heard that guy play anything that isn't an almost
verbatim
ripoff of Eric Johnson? If you dig what he's playing there, you should try listening to Tones sometime and hear where he got every note of it from.
:o

That album I haven't tried. I'll give it a go sometime But I pretty much made that assumption - I just haven't found where he's ripping it from yet. :o:lol:

• Members

I love buckethead, Holdsworth, Lane, malmsteen etc.

the guys who bore me to tears are Vai and Satchmo. Satriani especially, why in the {censored} is he famous?

His gift is being able to construct catchy melodies imo. When I first got into instrumental music he's the one I started listening to because very easy on the ears.

• Members

Vai - too out there, good player

Petrucci - I just don't get it :facepalm:

Holdsworth - I would kill for some of his legato licks and he really can play over anything

Malmsteen - faster than anything but the poor guy can't write a catchy riff to save his life

I respect them but I'm just not into their tunes. It might be one of those deals where I don't like it now but I might later. My tastes have changed over the years. :idk:

• Members
Most white blooz players. Some of them may be monster players, but the music and endless pentatonics bore me to tears
:bor:

This. I would much rather listen to all those shredder dudes than some guy wandering around a pentatonic scale and doing bends to the same slow steady beat and bass line for 20 minutes.

• Members
That album I haven't tried. I'll give it a go sometime But I pretty much made that assumption - I just haven't found where he's ripping it from yet.
:o
:lol:

The kid is basically ripping from verbatim from EJ's REH instructional. And his live intro to Cliffs of Dover.

9X6-9bI1L6Q

The outfit, he ripped from the ACL show.

He can play but geez, where's he fun being a TOTAL clone. Blech.

Have to agree about Bonamassa. I went to his show and fell asleep. No personality of his own. Lovely tone though. Should have stuck with Strats though as he always played better on 'em.

• Members

Jimi Hendrix

Duane Allman

B.B. King

Eric Clapton

Robert Johnson

Chuck Berry

Stevie Ray Vaughan

Ry Cooder

Jimmy Page

Keith Richards

Kirk Hammett