Who is the most amazing player that did nothing that impressed you?

ComOp

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I never could get into Vai, i can hear that he's a good guitar player, but he's a pretty substandard song writer. Its like someone who approaches songwriting as a complex math problem.

I like Satch though.

For the style that they play (mostly instrumental), Vai is usually much more interesting to me because his music is so much more "out there".

To me, I get bored to tears after a while listening to Satch playing what should be vocal tunes with cool (but boring without vocals) grooves, and increasingly more self-plagiarizing licks over the top. That said, I'd much rather hear Satch in a band context, with a real singer, than I would Vai, for the very same reason.

I think the bottom line is that all the big-time "shred gods" that play mostly instrumental {censored} can get boring and monotonous as hell after a while. I'd always rather hear a shorter solo in the context of an actual song than an hour's worth of mindless shredding.

Some guys certainly pull it off better than others, though, but I'd always rather be able to write a great song than a great solo any day.

• Members

That said, I'd much rather hear Satch in a band context, with a real singer, than I would Vai.

I agree. I had a friend who was raving about a Vai song and said i just had to download it. The song? Alive in an Ultra World. Dear god do i hate this song.

Later i learned that he was a moron though as he believes that Hendrix is the worst guitar player ever, and the best band to ever play music is tied between Queensryche and Nickleback.

• Members

Later i learned that he was a moron though as he believes that Hendrix is the worst guitar player ever, and the best band to ever play music is tied between Queensryche and Nickleback.

Interesting, I've never read anything like that about Vai. I'm inclined to agree with him about Queensryche, though, with DeGarmo, anyway. :o

You may want to re-check your sources about Vai on Hendrix, though, apparently he's actually a HUGE fan and cites Jimi as a major influence...

UniVibes:
Can you explain how your approach to chords was influenced by Jimi?

Steve Vai:
The 'Little Wing' factor! He had a real unique approach to voice leading and chord textures and chord soloing. When I was younger I just really inhaled that stuff. I listened to and tried to figure out all of that really beautiful stuff like, you know, 'Castles Made Of Sand' and 'One Rainy Wish' and all the really cool stuff that Hendrix I think unfortunately is not quite as known for as his wild feedback and playing with his teeth and all that stuff. Uh, so that was a big influence on me.

Oh yeah, "The Boy From Seattle" was written for Jimi, btw...

http://www.djnoble.demon.co.uk/ints/STEVEVA.IO0.html

• Members
How about this...

I could never figure out if this was suppose to be Funny...or serious..?

2doubleguitarsut0.jpg

re: Alan Holdsworth comment makes me laugh...

I always listen to him for a few minutes and think OMG how did he end up playing like that , its AMAZING.. then I fall asleep.
:)

I saw him do that dual gtr thing at a gtr center.

It was funny. And sad. Fog machines pumpin' and delay that kept repeating til you had to run.

• Members

LOL Satriani is {censored}ing brilliant and can make a beautiful melody out of nothing and he plays flawlessly and makes it seem so easy. Nobody can touch that guy when it comes to making great guitar music that just sounds cool and isnt guitar math. You list buckethead and holdworth who to me are listenable for moments and then it gets to be about the instrument not the music. Im more interested in the music not the talent.

• Members
I agree. I had a friend who was raving about a Vai song and said i just had to download it. The song? Alive in an Ultra World. Dear god do i hate this song.

I thought Vai was a huge Hendrix fan. Maybe he changed his mind. :D

• Members

I love buckethead, Holdsworth, Lane, malmsteen etc.

the guys who bore me to tears are Vai and Satchmo. Satriani especially, why in the {censored} is he famous?

Along with Vai and Yngwie, Satch was one of the first guys to bring '80s shred to at least somewhat mainstream music.

• Members

Shawn Lane. If Powers of 10 was any whiter it would make Pat Boone seem like he was raised in Compton. Seriously. I have all the Shawn Lane instructional vids too, simply because I hoped that the last one would be made up for with the next one. If he was any more buried in effects in those instructional vids a quadriplegic monkey with one hand could've played those licks.

Govan. See above, less the instructional vids.

Garsed. Seem above, less the instructional vids.

Gambale. See above and including the instructional vids.

All monster players, but the ferocity of the playing was not present in their music to my ears. I particularly love when some folks of that vein (the Rippington shredders) start playing in different genres of jazz in the same piece of music, sounds like Trig Palin trying to read Shakespeare in Latin... little snippets of licks pasted together making musical gibberish.

Derek

• Members

Oh yeah I completely forgot about Frank.... Yeah, I feel the same way. Just to be clear, I have nothing against Jazz, it's just that lack of fire you mentioned. It's like they make it sound too effortless when they play... To the point that you can't tell if it's even interesting to them when they play.

• Members

Shawn Lane. If Powers of 10 was any whiter it would make Pat Boone seem like he was raised in Compton. Seriously. I have all the Shawn Lane instructional vids too, simply because I hoped that the last one would be made up for with the next one. If he was any more buried in effects in those instructional vids a quadriplegic monkey with one hand could've played those licks.

Govan. See above, less the instructional vids.

Garsed. Seem above, less the instructional vids.

All monster players, but the ferocity of the playing was not present in their music to my ears. I particularly love when some folks of that vein (the Rippington shredders) start playing in different genres of jazz in the same piece of music, sounds like Trig Palin trying to read Shakespeare in Latin... little snippets of licks pasted together making musical gibberish.

Derek

Hey, if you don't like his music, I understand, but I've seen Shawn Lane play in person from about 5 feet away, and with VERY little effects, and whatever your opinion may be about his compositional skills, the guy had HANDS-DOWN the most mind-blowing, freakish, jaw-dropping, humbling, go-home-and-burn-your-{censored} skills I've ever witnessed, and believe me, I've seen EVERYBODY - TWICE.

Like his idol, Holdsworth, just listening to his music can be difficult at times, but trust me, when you actually see those guys in person, it becomes real clear real fast what the hype's all about.

• Members
I agree.
I had a friend
who was raving about a Vai song and said i just had to download it. The song? Alive in an Ultra World. Dear god do i hate this song.

Later i learned that he was a moron
though as he believes that Hendrix is the worst guitar player ever, and the best band to ever play music is tied between Queensryche and Nickleback.

Who else would you have been talking about? People gotta pay attention! :cop:

• Members

For me it has to be Shawn Lane. Amazing talent, obviously a monster player, but I just never felt any kind of passion from his playing or music. It was plain, lifeless and dull to me. Yet, I would kill to have even a little bit of the talent that guy had.

• Members

They all impressed me one way or another. I wished I had their talents at times. I think for the most part its like you can't have a favorite meal forever. Every era I see something cool and gravitate towards that style or player or whatever. The beauty is you can also go back some years again for a dose of the past. All of them I'd say have great influence on me.

• Members
How about this...

I could never figure out if this was suppose to be Funny...or serious..?

2doubleguitarsut0.jpg

re: Alan Holdsworth comment makes me laugh...

I always listen to him for a few minutes and think OMG how did he end up playing like that , its AMAZING.. then I fall asleep.
:)

Apparently, you are only listening to his shred tunes. Do a little more searching.

I went to one of his clinics, believe me he is more than just shred. At one point he went to a clean tone and pulled off AUTHENTIC bebop chord melody stuff. The guy was a session guitarist that used to do jingles for taco bell, pizza hut and coca cola.

Archived