Saw a band play with the AxeFX last night

OverDriven

• Members

Best live high gain I've ever heard was axe fx straight into the board(after the burial). Clearest, most nuanced live brutz guitar I've ever heard, like listening to a cd. As I Lay dying came after them, not sure what maps they are using these days but their guitars had more of that white noise, unclear type of sound.

Until then, because of my bad experiences with Line 6 and Digitech, I was convinced that digital processing simply could not create the robust and nuance tone of a tube amp(or even a non-digital solid state) that cuts through properly in a loud live situation. I guess the answer to getting digital to perform better really does lay in more raw processing power.

• Members

If i bought a sNax:snax: i would probably use the unit for effects with my Marshalls.
:cop:

this is pretty much the consensus I've come to as well. I really wish there was an fx only version that didn't have all the amp and cab and other mess in it. sort of like the TC stuff.. Effects only. I just refuse to pay $1500 for the G-system when the snax is the same price.

• Members

Not better or worse, just different. There were other bands there with tube heads. Some sounded worse than the AFX and some sounded better.

I think that pretty much sums it up. Its a tool, and a very capable one, its up to the user an that's how it should be.

• Members

an axe-fx would be cool, but i only want/need 1 gread mild OD sound and back off the volume for cleans and boost for solos. much less tweaking and whatnot to just have the real thing. sexier too.

I think we've been over the whole "if you only need one tone the AxeFX isn't for you" thing about 1,000 times now.

• Members

I think we've been over the whole "if you only need one tone the AxeFX isn't for you" thing about 1,000 times now.

an axe-fx would be cool, but i only want/need 1 gread mild OD sound and back off the volume for cleans and boost for solos. much less tweaking and whatnot to just have the real thing. sexier too.

• Members

I agree. I picked my Lexicon verb for $75 and I'll be damned if that thing doesn't sound gorgeous.

Lots of that stuff is still valid. I have an Alisis quadra verb I got for 40 bucks. I don't use it but it does still work if I ever needed to.

• Members

You could get the AxeFX and setup 15 killer mild OD tones that you could back off the volume for cleans and boost for solos. :idea::cop:

• Members

interesting

tell me more

All I know is that mild OD comes in tons of flavors. I love the JTM45 for smooth fusion-y leads, AC30 for more aggressive pick attack-y tones, Plexi for AC/DC dirt, and Brownface Fender for the SRV vibe. The Carolann OD2 and Shiva Lead are also great mild OD substitutes for the JTM45 for smooth OD.

All of these I dial in around the same amount of dirt (about enough to *almost* sound clean when playing lightly but well overdriven when you dig in) and they all have very different voicings. I wouldn't be happy with just one.

• Members

I'll tell you that you need to just get a 50 watt plexi from Mark at Rockstah and play the PISS out of it.

Or drive up to birmingham and get one from Kurt Granger.

would love to but have a love/hate relationship with heads/cabs. sound/look good, i {censored}ing hate carrying them around. rather have a small-ish combo. bassman or super reverb would be as big as i get. doing the country thing right now and pimpin a blues JR w/hellatone 60 and my PRS se, in a matte turd brown finish and pushing it all with a maxon OD9. very funny since the other guitarist is kicking a shiva combo and his backup is a maz jr and he's using a suhr custom.

once i start making gig money, i'd like something like a savage macht 12 or matchless lightning. something around that ballpark.

• Members

The power amp is important, but so is the preamp. Try running a Zoom 505 through one and see if a 100% tube tone results.
:D

Yea, I was just kidding, although about 90% of the time when people talk about tubes around here its power tubes especially when talking about feel. Pre-amp tubes seem to be much easier to model. I've gotten my axe through my Randall RT2 50 to sound nearly identical to a number of my friends tube amps (in room) not recorded (800, dual rec)

Archived