Which Black Sabbath album had the best vocals?

Guitarist+

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

For inventive melodies, crazy range and character, both Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Sabotage are off the charts. Thrill of it All, Megalomania, A National Acrbat, and let's not even talk about the acoustic part in Symptom of the Universe.

But there is no getting around that Dio is a technically superior vocalist. Heaven and Hell has outrageous vocal performances that mix technical ability, awesome melodies and awesome lyrics. Children of the Sea, Heaven and Hell, Die Young and Lonely is the Word are masterpieces.

The only thing I would like to add (flame suit on) is that the Tony Martin era should not be overlooked. In his prime, that guy was awesome. Both Tyr and Headless Cross have some great vocal work.

• Members

Black Sabbath wasnt Black Sabbath without Ozzy. Ozzy completed the band. IMO Dio didnt fit the band. Kinda like some people say "It's Van Halen, not Van Hagar". Im not a Dio fan, but dude had some pipes, just not my type of pipes.

To each his own. Call it blasphemy, but with the exception of a handful of songs, Black Sabbath always bored me to tears with Ozzy. I really just never cared much for them then, although I respect that lineup for what they did and absolutely recognize them as the roots of the heavy metal tree and fathers of the art. It wasn't until Dio joined the band that I really started to get into them, though. I think, and Tony Iommi himself has said this, that Ozzy limited what they could do from a songwriting perspective, and the Dio material was just broader, with much more depth and power with Ronnie's vocals.

I've always loved Ozzy as a solo act, though, much more so than I ever did Ozzy with Sabbath. I think Dio was a better fit for Sabbath, and Randy Rhoads was a better fit for Ozzy.

• Members

To each his own. Call it blasphemy, but with the exception of a handful of songs, Black Sabbath always bored me to tears with Ozzy. I really just never cared much for them then, although I respect that lineup for what they did and absolutely recognize them as the roots of the heavy metal tree and fathers of the art. It wasn't until Dio joined the band that I really started to get into them, though. I think, and Tony Iommi himself has said this, that Ozzy limited what they could do from a songwriting perspective, and the Dio material was just broader, with much more depth and power with Ronnie's vocals.

I've always loved Ozzy as a solo act, though, much more so than I ever did Ozzy with Sabbath. I think Dio was a better fit for Sabbath, and Randy Rhoads was a better fit for Ozzy.

I can respect that.

Archived