Best home defense weapon besides a gun?

Tommy Horrible

• Members

Nope, just a big problem with people robbing people where I live in Ohio.

Well on a serious note, what a about a stun gun or mace(probably not a good idea indoors.) If a dude has a gun, I don't think a huge, slow weapon like that is going to be your best bet. They seem like they'd be unwieldy in a hallway too.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If they weren't so stupid expensive and since I already own a paintball marker this would be pretty effective (especially since I could put 15 of these a second into whoever was {censored}ing {censored} up haha):

Less_Lethal_100_Round_Pod.jpg

Pepper balls

But $250 for a few seconds of {censored} you is only so much fun especially when you can just go get a shotgun for that much.

• Members

A nice menacing rusty machete.

I keep one at home between amp cabinets with the handle sticking out, and one in my truck in the backseat glove compartment right behind the driver's side door. In my line of work I'm in abandoned land tracts, vacant property, or derelict buildings occasionally.

I've only had to pull the one in my truck out once. I was getting approached by one of those persistent beggars who won't leave you alone.

Given the choice between pressing his luck for an extra buck, or losing an arm... well, he walked away.

• Members

1.Tell your wife you're going out of town on business for a few nights.

2.On the first night, wear all black and 'break in' to your house.

3.Scare the {censored} out of her and make her feel defenseless.

4.Take your mask off and say, "Don't you think we should own a gun?"

5.Ride home from the gun store with a smile on your face.

6.??????

7.Profit

• Members

1.Tell your wife you're going out of town on business for a few nights.

2.On the first night, wear all black and 'break in' to your house.

3.Scare the {censored} out of her and make her feel defenseless.

4.Take your mask off and say, "Don't you think we should own a gun?"

5.Ride home from the gun store with a smile on your face.

6.??????

7.Profit

Sounds like an episode of American Dad :lol:

Just get a baseball or cricket bat.

• Members

Isn't anyone with a dog afraid that an intruder might actually shoot your dog? I know they're more of a deterrent, but they're still family members, being sent to protect you from danger without much protection themselves.

I think a bat would be a great bet, but really only any good if you surprise them, as with any short range weapon.

{censored}, am I glad I live in Canada. It's almost worth the house prices.

• Members

This kind of question really depends on what your intruders might be carrying. I'd think you'd be better of with nothing than trying to run at a baddy with a bat if they are holding a gun. Any weapon you have in your hands makes you a definite threat to them. If they feel threatened and they are armed there is a good chance they are going to put you down. They might shoot you anyway but using a less than lethal close range weapon at any kind of distance when facing someone that has a completely lethal distance weapon doesn't bode well for you. Get a gun and make sure you hit them before they hit you. :thu: If you can't have a gun then just lockup tighter.

• Members

If you get a sword or other bladed weapon, go for short blade length. Indoors, especially in modern homes, is not great for swinging things around, and if you lose that one chance to the blade catching on a wall/ceiling it's over.

A Cold Steel Waki or Chisa would be my first 2 choices.

I keep bokkens under the bed, non lethal if the cats bump them, but very lethal if you swing them right.

• Members

Is home invasion such a common occurrence in the States that these are actually necessary?
:confused:

I suggest using a bag of feces.

I'm as stunned as you are. I don't mean to venture into any political critizism but had the US had a different view of its citizens there wouldn't be much crime one would be scared into thinking one has the need to defend oneself from.

• Members

If they weren't so stupid expensive and since I already own a paintball marker this would be pretty effective (especially since I could put 15 of these a second into whoever was {censored}ing {censored} up haha):

Less_Lethal_100_Round_Pod.jpg

Pepper balls

But $250 for a few seconds of {censored} you is only so much fun especially when you can just go get a shotgun for that much.

OMG this. I have a Tiberius T9 that I keep in pistol form around the house when I'm not milsiming with it. The paintballs with the stock velocity on it would deal enough pain to stop an attacker. It's reliable, accurate, and the co2 cartridges are readily available at many stores around here. I usually buy them in boxes of 50 at paintball shops, but I can get a box of 15 for $10 at the walmart down the street.

• Members

Considering that's an ad for an insurance company I wouldn't put much weight on those statistics.
:D

They might very well be true. The critical piece of info that's missing is how many of those break-ins happens when the owners are actually home. As much as we like to joke about Americans being stupid, I don't really think their criminals are stupider than any other. They probably have the good sense to wait until the owner leaves, probably more so than over here since the risk of getting shot in the face is considerably higher.

To the OP: Things like golf clubs or crowbars are better than bats. Invest in that, and some self-defense lessons.

Archived