(SS pre + tube power) > (Tube pre + SS power)

Lucius

• Members

SS pre+ power tube combo.

I have a line 6 xt, with the metal packs bought it used and it came like that. run it trough my amps tube FX loop, so its like digital preamp plus tube power amp.

really nice for when i need alot of head room. I put a 12au7 in the FX loop phase inverter.

This is what I figured as well. I think i might have to go buy that little mesa power amp. Cheers, Lucius

• Members

I run a Carvin Quad X pre-amp through a SS Peavey power amp that I {censored}ing :love:

TBH, though, I've never had a chance to run it through a tube power amp. The one thing I do like about the SS is that I can dial in a tone at low volumes that changes very little as I crank it up. Depends I guess on whether or not you really depend on the power section to break up to get your core tone. I play mostly metal and hard rock so I don't really need to the tubey goo to get that sweet spot overdriven tone. I dial my {censored} pretty tight for the majority of what I play, so the sag and crunch from the power section isn't a big part of my regular tone.

• Members

Dude, go suck a dick. Contribute or {censored} off. Actually, just {censored} off.

see man, if you dont like it just dont post back. how hard is that. just dont conversate with me, and thats it, you dont have to reply and specifyl qoute me and insult me for no reason.

whatever. im just tired of insulting people now, just hope you have a great day or whatever the hell i did to you today.

I did put in input, you just came in here and insulted me. its one thing to push peoples buttons but dont just come here and insult me like a child.

dont mean to be rude!

• Members

What sounds better in your opinion for a live metal band?

The players are Ada MP-1, Art SLA1, GSP1101, and if I need one I can buy a mesa 50/50 (the older ones).

In that realm, one of may favorite ever setups was (is) an MP-1 through the power section of an old Marshall 3203 - but any tube power section will do. Just go straight into the MP-1, then run it's output into the FX return of a good tube amp - now you have SS or tube pre-amp and 100+ patch selections, all MIDI-selectable. Lots cheaper than any midi-capable all-tube amp, too..... That rig got me through the 80s in style.:thu:

• Members

I used a ADA MP-1 with a Carvin FET400 power amp for a while and had good results. It got much better once I added a tube power amp (Marshall 9005 first and Mesa 295 later) but that's to be expected.

I also once had a POD Pro/Peavey Classic 120 (mono power amp) and that was a good set up as well.

You can go either way, but why not go for a MP1 + 50/50 set up? That would be the best sounding option by far.

• Members

I used a ADA MP-1 with a Carvin FET400 power amp for a while and had good results. It got much better once I added a tube power amp (Marshall 9005 first and Mesa 295 later) but that's to be expected.

I also once had a POD Pro/Peavey Classic 120 (mono power amp) and that was a good set up as well.

You can go either way, but why not go for a MP1 + 50/50 set up? That would be the best sounding option by far.

I don't own the 50/50 but I have a line on one for a decent price. I'll check out my options @ Fridays band practice. Cheers, lucius

• Members

So turns out the ADA/GSP/SLA1 is a great budget rig. The GSP/SLA was a bit sterile??? for my liking. For some reason using the ADA as the preamp and the GSP just for effects really kicks some serious ass. Anyways, now to get a new amp head. I've sold both my 5150III and three channel Dual recto in a matter of minutes of eachother lol. THinking of going back to either the MarkIV or try a JVM410. Cheers, Lucius

• Members

So turns out the ADA/GSP/SLA1 is a great budget rig. The GSP/SLA was a bit sterile??? for my liking. For some reason using the ADA as the preamp and the GSP just for effects really kicks some serious ass. Anyways, now to get a new amp head. I've sold both my 5150III and three channel Dual recto in a matter of minutes of eachother lol. THinking of going back to either the MarkIV or try a JVM410. Cheers, Lucius

Cool :cool:

I am thinking about picking up a SLA-2... I dunno why really, lol. I am toying with the idea of thinking about an Axe-FX. I do have a HD500 I could play it with.

Archived