Who has the most amp heads on this forum?

Tommy Horrible

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

All you really need is the VTM :poke:

Seriously I would love to hear a short review of how you think the VTM compares to the Butcher...compared to the 800...compared to the Splawn...compared to the 6505...

Basically IMO it's like this.....

VTM sounds alot like the TSL, which sounds alot like the 800, which sounds exactly like the Butcher. The 6505 and Splawn sound a lot a like IMO, but don't very similar to the 800,butcher,tsl, vtm. Hate the 6505, love the Splawn. The Splawn is like the 6505 perfected IMO. JVMs OD1 orange sounds very similar to the Mark IVs lead channel,except the JVM has a Marshall voice, and the Mesa has a mesa voice, but their timbre and feel is very close. Mode 4 and Recto are basically the same amp, one SS one with 6l6s. Very similar voicing.

Hope that's clear LOL

• Members

VTM sounds alot like the TSL, which sounds alot like the 800, which sounds exactly like the Butcher. The 6505 and Splawn sound a lot a like IMO, but don't very similar to the 800,butcher,tsl, vtm. Hate the 6505, love the Splawn. The Splawn is like the 6505 perfected IMO. JVMs OD1 orange sounds very similar to the Mark IVs lead channel,except the JVM has a Marshall voice, and the Mesa has a mesa voice, but their timbre and feel is very close. Mode 4 and Recto are basically the same amp, one SS one with 6l6s. Very similar voicing.

Hope that's clear LOL

Makes sense to me LOL

I had a VTM120 and 5150 Combo at the same time and the VTM was less versatile because it dosent have foot switchable channels but it just sounded more clear and full for old school metal type stuff. The 5150 crunch channel was very similar sounding but a lil thinner and the lead channel was nice for brutals stuff.

I ened up selling the 5150.

• Members

Hope that's clear LOL

So you find the Butcher's more like an 800 than the VTM? How would you describe the difference between those two Peaveys?

And just the Deliverance 120 and Titan here.

• Members

So you find the Butcher's more like an 800 than the VTM? How would you describe the difference between those two Peaveys?

Butcher and Jcm 800 sound identical until you crank them to the point the power tubes are really breaking up, then the Butcher sounds more grunge-ish, and the and JCM 800 more thrash-ish, which I know doesn't make sense. But it's subtle, and that's the best way I can describe it.

My has TSL 100 has a Mercury Magnetics Output tranny and the lead channel sounds almost identical to the JCM 800 except imagine if the gain knob kept spinning. Best thing I ever did for that amp was replace the OT, totally changed the sound of that amp. It went from thin, too beastly.

The VTM 60 with all the dip switches disengaged sounds almost identical to the Butcher and JCM 800. With it the compression and 2 gains engaged it sounds almost identical to the TSL 100.

I think though all those amps are similar, and if you play them all right next to each, blind folded it it would be hard to tell them apart, except the maybe the VTM 60 because when you drive it super hard it gets really creamy and smooth.

• Members

Jewel light? I've had problems with mine! I took the jewel off and it's an LED inside. Upon screwing the jewel back in tight, it's been sound ever since!

I had problems with the light on both my 50H and the 20H. I am not 100% what all O'Rourke did to fix the 50 but the light on the 20 is dead (just the light). The 50 would flicker on and off and then just go off. .

• Members

about 10 heads .
VHT pittbull CL100
marshall 1992 plexi superbass 1969
marshall 1992 superbass 1980
marshall jcm800 2203 1984
marshall jcm800 2203 zakk wylde
marshall 2555 jubilee
Trace elliot Bonneville 100watt head
peavey 5150
wem er40
Lab L4
custom made marshall 2203 copy (built from a carlsbro tube PA head)
+ a few combos and mesa 395 based rack setup

some pics !
ampsall.jpg

Edwardsblu2Hi.jpg

• Members

I've never played a D120 but I can get my D60 sounding so close to an 800 2204 that I found it would be pointless to own both

• Members

I had problems with the light on both my 50H and the 20H. I am not 100% what all O'Rourke did to fix the 50 but the light on the 20 is dead (just the light). The 50 would flicker on and off and then just go off. .

Yeah...that's exactly what mine did. When I tightened up the jewel as much as it'd go, it stopped doing it. Ithasn't done it for a long while now, (touch wood) it's cured, but I can't imagine it'd be a difficult repair!

EDIT: BTW, you got recomendations at all for new valves for the 20? I'm still on the stock ones, they don't really sound bad to be fair, but I think the pre's are starting to go microphonic. It's spent most of it's playing life on 1-2 o'clock on the MV (W/Mesa Std Recto 4x12), keeps up with a '72 Superlead and 1960BV, a Mesa Basis M2000 and Powerhouse 8x10 and a 15"-18"-26" drum kit in rehearsals nicely!

• Members

Butcher and Jcm 800 sound identical until you crank them to the point the power tubes are really breaking up, then the Butcher sounds more grunge-ish, and the and JCM 800 more thrash-ish, which I know doesn't make sense. But it's subtle, and that's the best way I can describe it.

My has TSL 100 has a Mercury Magnetics Output tranny and the lead channel sounds almost identical to the JCM 800 except imagine if the gain knob kept spinning. Best thing I ever did for that amp was replace the OT, totally changed the sound of that amp. It went from thin, too beastly.

The VTM 60 with all the dip switches disengaged sounds almost identical to the Butcher and JCM 800. With it the compression and 2 gains engaged it sounds almost identical to the TSL 100.

I think though all those amps are similar, and if you play them all right next to each, blind folded it it would be hard to tell them apart, except the maybe the VTM 60 because when you drive it super hard it gets really creamy and smooth.

I had a Butcher for a while and it was a cool amp. Very 800ish . I mustve played through a bad VTM , because the one I played through sounded like complete {censored}. I really tried to like it to since it was only $160 at GC . No matter what I did with the dipswitches , there wasnt a usable tone in it

Archived