Whatever happened to Krank Amps?

Tommy Horrible

• Members

Another case of "while the amps are new, everybody is super interested in them and says they've 'never heard better' and when they aren't en vogue anymore, suddenly they were always {censored}".

:p

You fickle {censored}ers. Krank makes a decent hi-gain amp. The problem with them is that all they did was high gain, no middle ground, which is why they weren't particularly useful to me. That being said, plenty of artists made some great sounds with Krank. Stupid, stupid name for an amp company, though (JMO)

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Another case of "while the amps are new, everybody is super interested in them and says they've 'never heard better' and when they aren't en vogue anymore, suddenly they were always {censored}".

You fickle {censored}ers. Krank makes a decent hi-gain amp. The problem with them is that all they did was high gain, no middle ground, which is why they weren't particularly useful to me. That being said, plenty of artists made some great sounds with Krank. Stupid, stupid name for an amp company, though (JMO)

BUT if they were out of business I venture the "KRANK Army" would be growing exponentially around here.

Wow Dime really works the endorsements from beyond the grave! The Elvis of Thrash...

• Members

I dunno, man. HCAF was pretty brutal to Krank when they first came out, to the point that by 2004 or so, people had to defend their Krank purchases here with disclaimers like, "No, it's a lot better than the first Revolutions!"

It didn't help that Krank had some fairly obvious employees/paid shills show up here when they first came out.

• Members

I dunno, man. HCAF was pretty brutal to Krank when they first came out, to the point that by 2004 or so, people had to defend their Krank purchases here with disclaimers like, "No, it's a lot better than the first Revolutions!"

It didn't help that Krank had some fairly obvious employees/paid shills show up here when they first came out.

Lets not forget the owner of Krank showing up and and going off on the whole forum. 'Twas hilarious.

• Members

Im betting Dime was just doing the endorsement thing for $$$ . Like the Randall Warheads.. He had the Warheads displayed for everyone to see, & had the Randall RG100ES's that he actually used hidden behind his back line.

No offense to Krank fans, but those things sounded like dog {censored}. At least the old school Randalls arent a one trick pony. Lots of different toans availible with the old school RG100ES. I've fooled alot of people with mine. I've even pulled off Hendrix toan with it. Krank= muddy fizz

No, Dime did use the Warheads and Kranks for a while.

Anyway, I only tried on Krank amp (Chadwick, I think) and I thought it was decent.

• Members

I own the Krankshaft overdrive and it is hands down my favorite tube screamer type pedal ever and I have used about all of them. Built really, really well too. As far as the amps I have heard really good things about the Chadwick, 1980 and Rev +. The only one I ever played in person was an original revolution series one and it was ok. Great cleans and an ok lead channel but not much gain.

• Members

While I never had much interest in Krank, I've kept up with the hub-bub here over the years, particularly due to all the controversy by Krank shills and of course, Mr. Tony Krank himself caused here at the ole' HCAF.

With a little web research, apparently something happened a few years ago that caused Tony to finally leave Krank Amplification sometime before February of 2011. Shortly thereafter, he went on to start yet another amp company called, "Stiff Amplification", of which began on the month of February in 2011. Whatever exactly happened at Krank Amplification that caused Tony to leave is still unclear at the moment, but apparently it was bad enough for him to leave and start another company. Krank Amplification of course is still trucking along today even in spite of Tony's departure.

Personally, I've never heard any Stiff Amps in person, much less any Kranks, but hey if you love em', more power to you.

Thankfully we live in the golden age of guitar amplification, it's all about choices and we have many, many, many of them these days, which is awesome. :thu:

*UPDATE*

Ah-ha! I knew there had to be an older post about this:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2767593-Krank-goes-to-Stiff.

• Members

I played a Krankinstine or howeverthe{censored}youspell it and thought it was pretty cool low volume. I thought that with lots of volume would come a crap sound and I suspect that is correct. I always thought the 5150 was better at lower volumes too. Amps like that get too flubby having their power amps pushed.

• Members

The Krank stuff is pretty dry high gain and can be very, very fizzy.

I completely agree 100% with these opinions. I am a former Krank owner. I bought a brand new Rev Jr 50w when they first came out. It was my first real tube amp.

Long story short, no matter what I did the amp sounded like a was playing the twangiest tele through a fuzz pedal. Very loose and odd sounding gain and the presence knob was literally a buzz knob. You couldn't turn it up past 9 o'clock matter what. Anyway, I sold it about 2 weeks later and bought my 6505+ 112 combo. I auditioned it at GC beforehand and the difference was night and day. It sucks because the Krank almost completely ruined tube amps for me. Since it was my first one I thought "Man, it this what all tube amps sound like?" Thankfully it was not.... then I bought an Axe Fx...

• Members

I completely agree 100% with these opinions. I am a former Krank owner. I bought a brand new Rev Jr 50w when they first came out. It was my first real tube amp.

Long story short, no matter what I did the amp sounded like a was playing the twangiest tele through a fuzz pedal. Very loose and odd sounding gain and the presence knob was literally a buzz knob. You couldn't turn it up past o'clock matter what. Anyway, I sold it about 2 weeks later and bought my 6505+ 112 combo. I auditioned it at GC beforehand and the difference was night and day. It sucks because the Krank almost completely ruined tube amps for me. Since it was my first one I thought "Man, it this what all tube amps sound like?" Thankfully it was not.... then I bought an Axe Fx...

I own a RevJrPro 50. What I've realized that there are inconsistencies from one Krank amp to another and I don't know why that is! For a long time I always thought it was user error on why people say that Krank amps suck. A couple months ago, a friend of mine asked me to come check out his bandmates' Krank amps because he wanted me to get it "dialed in" like how I have mine set up. I found that both guitarists (who had an upgraded RevolutonOne (Rev+ mod) and a Krankenstein+) amps sounded waaaay different than mine! I couldn't get it to sound like mine! Mine just sounded so much better and I don't know why that is. The gain structures sounded way different!

• Members

What about the Chadwick?

• Members

Im betting Dime was just doing the endorsement thing for $$$ . Like the Randall Warheads.. He had the Warheads displayed for everyone to see, & had the Randall RG100ES's that he actually used hidden behind his back line.

No offense to Krank fans, but those things sounded like dog {censored}. At least the old school Randalls arent a one trick pony. Lots of different toans availible with the old school RG100ES. I've fooled alot of people with mine. I've even pulled off Hendrix toan with it. Krank= muddy fizz

The first batch of Warheads were poo.

I've hears some excellent metal tones from a variety of people who can dial them in right.

• Members

I love my krankenstein+

It's not the most often used amp in my studio, cause unlike the 5150 it doesn't sound good for everybody.

The recto has a similar thing...not everyone sounds good through it.

BUT more than just once has the krank totally saved the day by crushing all the other amps in the blind test.

Cause IF it works for your playing it's a hell of an amp.

It's way pickier than any amp i've owned, it reacts very sensitively to settings, pickups and playing/pick attack.

The sweep knob has to be between 3 and 4.5, everything else sounds either flubby or like a telephone.

The setting of the volume knobs is also very important, the master HAS to be far higher than the channel vol or it'll sound fizzy.

I can see how the krank is not for everyone, cause it's a bit tricky to dial in and has a very unique sound (the attack feels very much like a jcm800, the bass barks like on a recto, but the mids have a very unique voicing that can't be compared to any other amp), but if it works for your playing it's a hell of an amp, I can only encourage you to try it , it might work for you (but keep those sweep and master vol settings in mind when doing so)!!

The stein is extremely versatile, it can do convincing 2203 tones as well as modern metal tones.

I'm GASsing for a nineteen80

• Members

Also, prior to Tony leaving Krank, their main PR person, the one who signed a lot of their artists, left and went to Randall, which I think caused a big stir...the guy who left reportedly owned a stake in the company or something (I heard this, so who knows the truth). But, when that dude left, that was one of the reasons you saw a lot of Krank endorsers leave and go to Randall (Mike Amott, Christian Olde-Wolbers, and a few others immediately come to mind). I wonder if the fallout from all that was one of the reasons Tony left...Seems like he left not too long after all that, and it's been a few years since this all happened.

Archived