Whatever happened to Krank Amps?

Tommy Horrible

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

When I was buying my explorer the sales guy sat me in a booth with a krank amp. I'm more of an ac30 kind of guy so I didn't know what was happening at any point as I tried to dial that thing in for a tone that didn't sounds like a jet engine.

• Members

Im betting Dime was just doing the endorsement thing for $$$ . Like the Randall Warheads.. He had the Warheads displayed for everyone to see, & had the Randall RG100ES's that he actually used hidden behind his back line.

No offense to Krank fans, but those things sounded like dog {censored}. At least the old school Randalls arent a one trick pony. Lots of different toans availible with the old school RG100ES. I've fooled alot of people with mine. I've even pulled off Hendrix toan with it. Krank= muddy fizz

• Members

We opened for a ska-punk band with a Krank endorsement a while back. (Can't remember the name, but they had some radio play with a cover of "Mexican Radio".) The guy played a strat through a half-stack: sounded normal, neither great nor awful. That's the only time I've known someone to play one.

• Members

I want to say I saw Amon Amarth using them, or at least having them on stage, when I saw them. That was like 2007 though. They seem to mostly be pushing their Jr. series these days, from what I've seen. Never actually tried one to have much opinion on them.

• Members

Im betting Dime was just doing the endorsement thing for $$$ . Like the Randall Warheads.. He had the Warheads displayed for everyone to see, & had the Randall RG100ES's that he actually used hidden behind his back line.

No, Dime was actually playing those amps, and he had a significant investment of money into the company. That's pretty well established. That's why his tone between Pantera and Damageplan is so different.

No offense to Krank fans, but those things sounded like dog {censored}. At least the old school Randalls arent a one trick pony. Lots of different toans availible with the old school RG100ES. I've fooled alot of people with mine. I've even pulled off Hendrix toan with it. Krank= muddy fizz

I won't disagree there. The Krank stuff is pretty dry high gain and can be very, very fizzy.

• Members

I remember their first huge marketing push, back in 2000 or so. I also remember playing a Krank Revolution in the store right around that time, and it was unbelievably bad. Pair that with the cheesy aesthetics, and I'm honestly surprised they're still around today. Good on them, I guess.

Archived