removing all memory of G n' R.

newholland

• Members

the other .02% loves the fact that duff mccagan was in a band called the fartz.

You may be one of about 4 people on this planet that knows about The Fartz. I loved that band when I was a little skate {censored}er back in the 80's. And that's Blaine from The Accused screaming......

[video=youtube;-Nh4HX1jxOs]

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Okay, here's the deal, y'all. There was Rock & Roll before G'n'R, and there was Rock & Roll after G'n'R ... and the two were not the same. However briefly that original band was able to shine (and I really only count Appetite and Lies as being worth much of anything), they came along and they changed the game.

That is the mark of a truly great artist creating truly great art. Appetite, especially, still holds up to this day, regardless of the fact that the band itself disintegrated.

It's the same with The Who, Zeppelin, The Beatles, The Stones, etc. ... all the greats are the ones who defined, shaped, shattered, and transformed the canon and the tradition of Rock and/or Roll.

Doesn't mean you have to like their music ~ that's not what "great" means, in this context, at all. I don't dig the Beatles & never really got why they were such a big deal. But I obviously have to name them one of the greatest rock & roll bands ever, for all the reasons I just listed.

And yes, y'all are absolutely correct that Izzy's songwriting *made* G'n'R, and that without him, there was no band left. :thu:

/school

• Members
:o

U B trollin', Chris? Would've thought Appetite was right up yer alley...
:idk:

It was absolute trash to me. Nothing new or revolutionary or game changing here.

Axl souds like a castrated Elf, Slash's meandering, never ending noodling is like an ice pick in my brain. The rest of the bands was as tallented as any drunken rock bank you'd see in the bars on the weekends.

I can't understand for the life of me why these dolts are famous :idk:

• Members

Okay, here's the deal, y'all. There was Rock & Roll before G'n'R, and there was Rock & Roll after G'n'R ... and the two were not the same. However briefly that original band was able to shine (and I really only count Appetite and Lies as being worth much of anything), they came along and they
changed the game.

That
is the mark of a truly great artist creating truly great art. Appetite, especially, still holds up to this day, regardless of the fact that the band itself disintegrated.

It's the same with The Who, Zeppelin, The Beatles, The Stones, etc. ... all the greats are the ones who defined, shaped, shattered, and transformed the canon and the tradition of Rock and/or Roll.

Doesn't mean you have to like their music ~ that's not what "great" means, in this context, at all. I don't dig the Beatles & never really got why they were such a big deal. But I obviously have to name them one of the greatest rock & roll bands ever, for all the reasons I just listed.

And yes, y'all are absolutely correct that Izzy's songwriting *made* G'n'R, and that without him, there was no band left.
:thu:

/school

Exactly! :thu:

• Members
It was absolute trash to me. Nothing new or revolutionary or game changing here.

Axl souds like a castrated Elf, Slash's meandering, never ending noodling is like an ice pick in my brain. The rest of the bands was as tallented as any drunken rock bank you'd see in the bars on the weekends.

I can't understand for the life of me why these dolts are famous
:idk:

Color me surprised, mang.

It's cool. I've got a musician friend in town here who cannot stand Warren Haynes. :freak::idk::lol:

Takes all types, I suppose.... :D

• Members

i guess I'm in the minority that loves Chinese Democracy.

Now live, that's another thing. {censored} Axhole and his excuses for being 2 hours late for every show. {censored} Sebastian Bach too for defending Axhole's excuses, bitch needs to shut the {censored} up, he's not even with Skid Row, {censored}ing {censored}....

• Members

Everyone is definitely going to have different opinions. Not everyone has the same taste in music. I personally think they were one of the best in their short span. I do think that there are other great bands that did it for decades: Rolling Stones, Led Zep, Aerosmith, etc. etc.

To each their own

I agree that everyone has their own tastes...thank GOD right? But I'd think we'd have better criteria for "best rock band ever".

Even if I don't care for a band all that much, I know the sales, tours, and yes LONGEVITY are all part of the equation of "best rock band ever". Poison {censored}ed {censored} up too!

I do understand what you're saying...it's more subjective than anything. But...Van Halen, Rush, Jimi, Zep, Stones, Aersomsith, Moody Blues (40 years of albums and sold out shows) ZZ Top.....I could go on and on. Don't have to LIKE those bands...but apparently A LOT of people...do.

Just an opinion....it's only rock and roll so rock on.

• Members

Okay, here's the deal, y'all. There was Rock & Roll before G'n'R, and there was Rock & Roll after G'n'R ... and the two were not the same. However briefly that original band was able to shine (and I really only count Appetite and Lies as being worth much of anything), they came along and they
changed the game.

That
is the mark of a truly great artist creating truly great art. Appetite, especially, still holds up to this day, regardless of the fact that the band itself disintegrated.

And yes, y'all are absolutely correct that Izzy's songwriting *made* G'n'R, and that without him, there was no band left.

/school

I agree with MOST this...BUT so many other bands did this and more. They STAYED in the game, some continuing to change it. GnR music wasn't particularly inventive. Just a fresh mean attitude coming out of flaky hair metal ballads.

• Members
changed the game.

That

/school

i just perceived them as holdovers of LA glam in the 1990's, and disregarded them entirely as impertinent, while they existed. :idk: they were just holding the LA torch while nirvana et al. took attention away from that world.

totally not even a blip on my own personal music radar, save for just another reason to change the channel when they come on. it seriously never occurred to me that they were 'great'-- just another arena rock band that added a slightly dirtier edge to something like whitesnake or motley crue.

Archived