removing all memory of G n' R.

newholland

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I never really got into grunge. I always found it too negative-minded and I didn't like the simplicity of it. It's kind of the same kind of deal as punk, but it's darker and slower. I'll also never understand why being a {censored}ty guitar player is seems to be viewed as a good thing in this scene. I remember seeing several interviews where some guys in these grunge bands were talking {censored} and
making fun
of great players.

And Kurt Cobain with his "{censored} Elvis" on his guitar... If you want to talk overrated, there's your guy. I didn't lose any sleep when that {censored}ing asshole blew his {censored}ing brains out.

I wouldn't say that Grunge or Punk champion being bad musicians, I would just say that they put the song ahead of musicianship... How many fantastic guitarists are there who can't write a catchy tune?

Sometimes simplicity IS the answer IMHO

Ps Kurt comment is seriously not cool. Clinical depression and suicide shouldn't be wished on anyone... Or made light of

• Members

i disagree. didn't think much of their sound, nor their comedic comic book badboy image. it was just another shadow of glam in my eyes. they were undoubtedly fine musicians, and did the rock thing- which is admirable, but they were also pretty LA. they may've been LESS bull{censored}, but LA is rife with bull{censored}, and they were still from the same cesspool. coulda been they believed that they were LA badboys, coulda been that they had their image fabricated by a record company. either way, still seems pretty contrived to me.

is what it is. i'm glad somebody liked it, but it wasn't for me. i still call bull{censored} on axl rose, regardless of any image crap. i just can't take his singing-- and i speculate that a longtailed cat in a roomfull of old men in rocking chairs would probably yield similar results given enough time.

Sure, I can understand why people might dislike Axl's singing. It's a very unique and extreme singing style and it's not for everyone. I personally love everything about their sound. You know immediately you're hearing a Guns 'n Roses song, it just doesn't sound like anything else.

But you better believe they were the real deal. Pretty much everyone from that band lived on the streets at some point, and all of them were into hard-core drugs and out-of-control boozing. Slash lived in a drug den for a long time, and even stayed there for over a year after he received his first multi-million dollar paycheck from the first album. In their early days before their big break they played a lot of very {censored}ty and shady venues.

I'm not sure many look down much on Slash, and I think he's a good guitar player and that the band minus vocals was very good. But I agree with those who can't get into Axl's vocals. It's like Robert Plant permanently having a very off-night. But I know my favorite band's vocals also aren't for everyone. It's all good for those who get something from the music.

What's your favorite band?

I wouldn't say that Grunge or Punk champion being bad musicians, I would just say that they put the song ahead of musicianship... How many fantastic guitarists are there who can't write a catchy tune?

Sometimes simplicity IS the answer IMHO

Ps Kurt comment is seriously not cool. Clinical depression and suicide shouldn't be wished on anyone... Or made light of

Eh... sure. I'm just saying I'll always enjoy hearing a good guitar player/drummer/singer. Hearing power chords only gets boring real quickly to me.

p.s. I don't wish it on anyone. I just said I didn't lose any sleep over it. {censored} Cobain.

• Members

I have found that, usually....the less public acceptance of a band the more I enjoy them.

I'm glad you said that because this is where I get confused. How do you define public acceptance. Do I hate Nickelback because they have so much public acceptance or do I LOOOVE them because they have so little public acceptance on HCAF? :confused::confused::confused::confused: I need that thinking dinosaur right about now.

Archived