removing all memory of G n' R.

newholland

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I hate this so I must be cooler than you...seriously, WTF? I never realized how many great bands were so universally {censored} and/or hated until I joined HCAF....thanks guys, I'll go burn my CDs now. :yes: :idk:

• Members
{censored} yeah another "I hate this incredibly popular band" thread. Well I hate all bands, singers, songwriters, DJ's, rappers, producers and anyone that has made anything that can be slightly interpreted or used to create music or sounds altogether. That's just how cool I am. Douche's with acoustic guitars badly covering {censored}ty pop songs to impress chicks down at the quad though are in a league all of their own though.

Yep. How DARE anyone have an opinion on anything. And have the NERVE to discuss it on a.....discussion message board. SHEESH! :mad:

New rule from Kev369. If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything!

{HCAF instantly sinks into the dismal abyss darkness and loneliness like ESP and bolt-on Les Paul forums}

• Members

I hate this so I must be cooler than you...seriously, WTF? I never realized how many great bands were so universally {censored} and/or hated until I joined HCAF....thanks guys, I'll go burn my CDs now. :yes:
:idk:

I have found that, usually....the less public acceptance of a band the more I enjoy them.

• Members
Which Foghat do you have?

Girls To Chat and Boys To Bounce is great! Boogie Motel a close 2nd. ""I just wanna make love to you/ Slow ride"? Not so much.

Yeah, mentioning Axl and Lonesome Dave in the same breath made me twitch. Unfortunately they're known for their weakest songs. :freak:

I just told myself that the entire band died after Appetite as a result of a bizarre incident where enraged Canadians murdered them during a concert. :D

• Members

As for GnR, one great album and a few good songs off the rest. GnR destroyed hair metal, not Seattle, but Pearljam is a more important band in Rock history. Not saying they're the best, just saying they shaped the sound of modern music more.

Disagreed.

GN'R survived the Seattle Breakout in the early 90's whether you like it or not.

Pearl Jam may have spawned some goddawful bands that still lingers today (see Creed), but important? They're the kings of cluster{censored} B-sides. And I like PJ mind you.

• Members

eyehate G&R . Cant stand Axle's voice. Sounds like Janice Joplin vomiting up scrambled eggs & broken glass. Slash sucks too. Cant get into the cardboard guitar sound & that dog-{censored} wah tone. (and the tophat & hair in the face thing...the poses with the cig hangin out his mouth....cheese.

left over 80's hairspray douchebags disguised with attitude. Hated them then. Hate them now.

It's posts like this that make me say, "Oh, this person has no idea what the {censored} they're talking about." kinda like most of this thread.

It's almost physically hard to read the dumb {censored} you morons post.

• Members

Disagreed.

GN'R survived the Seattle Breakout in the early 90's whether you like it or not.

I'm not sure why you're disagreeing with me. I said GnR destroyed Hair Metal. They were one of the few 80s bands who survived the Grunge breakout. That being said Use Your Illusion came out in September of 1991 before Grunge was fully in swing. Spaghetti Incident came out in 1993 and was considered a failure by the record company, and Chinese Democracy didn't come out until 2008.

My point was that from 1993 to 1997, you couldn't put on rock radio without hearing a band with some element from Pearljam, and that effect still lingers even until today. I'm not a huge fan of either band, though there are good songs to be found from both.

• Members

My point was that from 1993 to 1997, you couldn't put on rock radio without hearing a band with some element from
Nirvana
, and that effect still lingers even until today. I'm not a huge fan of either band, though there are good songs to be found from both.

Fixed.

• Members

For the record, Nirvana did not invent Grunge or the Seattle sound. That's like crediting Motley Crue or Bon Jovi for inventing Hair Metal because they had the biggest selling albums. I don't hear as many people trying to sing like Cobain as Vedder.

• Members
It's posts like this that make me say, "Oh, this person has no idea what the {censored} they're talking about." kinda like most of this thread.

Is it fundamentals, bitches? :idk:

:D

• Members

I was in high school when GnR broke. I had that first album and listened to it hundreds of times. Very catchy hooky songs that just stuck in your head. I haven't felt the need to listen to it in years though. It got killed by radio and MTV. Completely over exposed. I'd be just fine with never hearing it again, I have heard their best songs enough to last me through five lifetimes.

• Members

Disagreed.

Pearl Jam may have spawned some goddawful bands that still lingers today (see Creed), but important? They're the kings of cluster{censored} B-sides. And I like PJ mind you.

Exactly.

Let's be honest. We haven't had a decent rock band for a long, long time. To me, Guns was the last real one that had all the elements that a good rock band should have. I'm talking past tense, because Guns 'n Roses is 1985-1993 to me. There was something very, very exciting about them and their music that I haven't seen since.

I never really got into grunge. I always found it too negative-minded and I didn't like the simplicity of it. It's kind of the same kind of deal as punk, but it's darker and slower. I'll also never understand why being a {censored}ty guitar player is seems to be viewed as a good thing in this scene. I remember seeing several interviews where some guys in these grunge bands were talking {censored} and making fun of great players.

And Kurt Cobain with his "{censored} Elvis" on his guitar... If you want to talk overrated, there's your guy. I didn't lose any sleep when that {censored}ing asshole blew his {censored}ing brains out.

Agreed. They might not be your thing, but it's an insult to compare them to

"hair bands" bands like Poison. They got popular because they were the only ones that played 70's no-bull{censored} rock in the 80's.

Slash has created some of the most kick-ass melodic solo's I've ever heard. Again, if you're into rock (or guitar) in general, it's pretty hard to hate on the guy.

[video=youtube;-9e77IrHBsw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9e77IrHBsw

Listen to the guitar work on this track and tell me again the guy sucks. I'm especially diggin' the solo here, but the slide-guitar stuff is cool as hell, too.

The guy was {censored}ed up on drugs and booze 99% of the time when he was in GnR, so it's easy to find live footage where he sounds {censored}ty. Look into some recent live stuff and you'll find he sounds way, way better.

• Members

Listen to the guitar work on this track and tell me again the guy sucks. I'm especially diggin' the solo here, but the slide-guitar stuff is cool as hell, too.

The guy was {censored}ed up on drugs and booze 99% of the time when he was in GnR, so it's easy to find live footage where he sounds {censored}ty. Look into some recent live stuff and you'll find he sounds way, way better.

meh.

i disagree. didn't think much of their sound, nor their comedic comic book badboy image. it was just another shadow of glam in my eyes. they were undoubtedly fine musicians, and did the rock thing- which is admirable, but they were also pretty LA. they may've been LESS bull{censored}, but LA is rife with bull{censored}, and they were still from the same cesspool. coulda been they believed that they were LA badboys, coulda been that they had their image fabricated by a record company. either way, still seems pretty contrived to me.

is what it is. i'm glad somebody liked it, but it wasn't for me. i still call bull{censored} on axl rose, regardless of any image crap. i just can't take his singing-- and i speculate that a longtailed cat in a roomfull of old men in rocking chairs would probably yield similar results given enough time.

• Members

I'm not sure many look down much on Slash, and I think he's a good guitar player and that the band minus vocals was very good. But I agree with those who can't get into Axl's vocals. It's like Robert Plant permanently having a very off-night. But I know my favorite band's vocals also aren't for everyone. It's all good for those who get something from the music.

Archived