H&K Tubemeister?

Seattle Doug

• Members

HCAF dudes - what do you think about how these amps look? Personally, I think they look AWESOME. I'm talking about the appearance only, I've not heard the amps.

I'm asking because they have a non-traditional look to them and I'd like to know how guitarists think about that. I'd like to see more of this kind of departure from the standard guitar amp look. You?

http://www.hughes-and-kettner.com/products.php5?id=142?=TubeMeister%2018%20Head

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I personally love the look. But you already know that since I love how my Goldea Rex looks ;)

Everyone (musicians and non musicians) that's seen it in person has told me that it looks very cool. They could be bull{censored}ting me to humor me, but I don't think that's the case.

• Members

Of course I should have posted a pic - but I don't know how!! If I just link to the image it'll post? I'm sorry!

copy the web address, and when you are in the reply box on here click the "insert image" button which is in between the little globe and the film reel looking icon. Paste image address in to the pop up window and it should work :thu:

• Members

Thanks for the info here guys. I wasn't really even thinking about the LED illumination, but I guess that's a really dominant part of the look here. I wouldn't do this on a JCA though, I feel like that illuminated plexi look 'belongs' to HK. I very much like it, too. Illuminated plexi and everything. Gorgeous.

But I DO want to play with some more adventurous appearance in products. We'll see.

• Members

Doug. I have the tubemeister. Not only do I like the look of it (blue lights and all), but it sounds great through the 2x12 I got from you!

Only thing I don't really care for on the head is that the top is not vented and can get very warm. Otherwise...really solid amp.

• Members

HCAF dudes - what do you think about how these amps look? Personally, I think they look AWESOME. I'm talking about the appearance only, I've not heard the amps.

I'm asking because they have a non-traditional look to them and I'd like to know how guitarists think about that. I'd like to see more of this kind of departure from the standard guitar amp look. You?

I don't like the look of plexi. But the side handles is a great idea. That top strap handle on heavy amps is just dumb. All my keepers and the ones I built have side handles. Doesn't need to be integrated but that's a cool idea though.

• Members
...I DO want to play with some more adventurous appearance in products...

How about partnering up with other companies, and showcase two "brands" at once? You know, like the Eddie Bauer Ford Explorer, or the Peavey Jack Daniels guitar. There's 1000's of companies with "cool" imgaing you could hook up with: Copenhagen, Porche, Victoria's Secret, etc.

• Members

My actual feelings are that in a few years time, a lot of products will look dated.

A lot also don't.

It's all about classy designs. Ones that just look good and will look good for long periods. I'd forego fancy Perspex panels and the such for some cream leather, say. Especially with tan corners. :love:

Personally I reckon, you should offer the amp in a range of colours. Kinda like DB13.

It gives the consumer a choice that helps them to portray their individuality.

I've always fancied a light blue amp with wheat front panel jute.

Look at Mikes amps. They always look classy in a retro modern way. Very elegant.

The way the logo sits on the grille. The colour options etc etc.

Go for clean lines and aesthetics rather than gimmicky stuff IMO.

Make it look like a Bentley interior rather than a Civic interior.

One ages far more gracefully than the other. :idea:

I also recommend keeping the flim flam down too. No chintz. Chunky switches. Nice materials. Solid feel.

This is all just IMO.

I am a bit of a traditionalist.

But put it like this. When you look at a plexi, it causes a stir within you. You are reminded of smoky bars, rock and roll legends, massive arenas, rock and roll in general. It looks elegant. Yet very purposeful.

Then look at a Peavey Vypyr....

One will still look great in another 20 years time.

Lastly. Keep it smaller. Heads don't need to be the width they are half the time. :idea:

Archived