1100hp 2013 Shelby GT500?? What in the world??

Ron Burgandy

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

:freak:

Stall converters...how DO they work...

Look, you are correct on a factory car with an automatic. However, in a drag race, there is no "slipping" of anything, that would defeat the purpose of trans brakes (which are used in top fuel dragsters, btw)...The whole idea is to get your engine in the RPM range where power is being made, and as soon as you release the brake (for a stall converter) or the trans brake, all the power is shifted DIRECTLY to the tires...

If there is any kind of slipping, you need to fix your car
:freak:

i know how torque converters and trans brakes work.

these:

Budweiser_Top_Fuel_Dragster.jpg

don't have transmissions. they are direct drive, and the clutch slips to keep from spinning the tires into oblivion. all top fuel engines make about the same power, they win & lose based on adjusting the clutch to the track conditions and the engines actually staying together for the whole run.

you might want to do a little research on this one, bud :thu:

• Members

these:

don't have transmissions. they are direct drive, and the clutch slips to keep from spinning the tires into oblivion. all top fuel engines make about the same power, they win & lose based on adjusting the clutch to the track conditions and the engines actually staying together for the whole run.

you might want to do a little research on this one, bud
:thu:

What is that pipe in the front of the car?

• Members

these:

Ok, so I missed on the top fuel cars :lol: ...But my point remains for people who don't have 500k dollars to spend on a car that needs it's engine replaced after each run...You don't want any slipping. The whole point of Stall Convertors and trans brakes is to eliminate that...Or why would they be so common in race cars...or for that matter, why would they even sell them?

But seriously, top fuel cars are impressive. Saw this list years ago, and it's still an impressive read

* One dragster's 500-inch Hemi makes more horsepower then the first 8 rows at Daytona.

* Under full throttle, a dragster engine consumes 1 1/2 gallons of nitro per second, the same rate of fuel consumption as a fully loaded 747 but with 4 times the energy volume.

* The supercharger takes more power to drive than a stock hemi makes.

* Even with nearly 3000 CFM of air being rammed in by the supercharger on overdrive, the fuel mixture is compressed into nearly-solid form before ignition. Cylinders run on the verge of hydraulic lock.

* Dual magnetos apply 44 amps to each spark plug. This is the output of an arc welder in each cylinder.

* At stoichiometric (exact) 1.7:1 air/fuel mixture (for nitro), the flame front of nitromethane measures 7050 degrees F.

* Nitromethane burns yellow. The spectacular white flame seen above the stacks at night is raw burning hydrogen, dissociated from atmospheric water vapor by the searing exhaust gases.

* Spark plug electrodes are totally consumed during a pass. After 1/2 way, the engine is dieseling from compression-plus the glow of exhaust valves at 1400 degrees F. The engine can only be shut down by cutting off its fuel flow.

* If spark momentarily fails early in the run, unburned nitro builds up in those cylinders and then explodes with a force that can blow cylinder heads off the block in pieces or blow the block in half.

* Dragsters twist the crank (torsionally) so far (20 degrees in the big end of the track) that sometimes cam lobes are ground offset from front to rear to re-phase the valve timing somewhere closer to synchronization with the pistons.

* To exceed 300mph in 4.5 seconds dragsters must accelerate at an average of over 4G's. But in reaching 200 mph well before 1/2 track, launch acceleration is closer to 8G's.

* If all the equipment is paid off, the crew worked for free, and for once NOTHING BLOWS UP, each run costs $1000.00 per second.

* Dragsters reach over 300 miles per hour before you have read this sentence.

Did you know

• Members

these:

I guess that's the 2013 GT1000 S/C "track only" edition, right?

Oh, wait, you're trying to prove a different point.

Lets just ignore what I said earlier about a passenger car, heavily modified, being able to put 1.1K-HP to the ground...because obviously, they have 1-time use clutches and drag slicks.

• Members
:lol:
Uriah Rose II wrote on 03/29/2012 at 02:13 PM

I've driven a newer GT500, and that's alot of car. It's likely faster then anything most of you have been in.
I've owned pure drag cars that were slower, without AC and power everything.

Getting 1000 to the ground isn't as hard as it used to be,
at least for drag racing which is what I'd say they had in mind when they build this thing. It wasn't made to go head to head with they Veyron or run 300 mph, but I'm sure you already know that.

where do these kids come from ?

• Members

To be honest though, 1200hp is MUCH easier to keep on the ground than 7000hp. Knucklefux is right that a dragster could spin its tires all the way down the track, but we aren't talking about a 7000hp car either. We're talking about a 1200hp car, and I've seen PLENTY of this kind of HP straight up hook and do wheel stands with a trans brake, which like I said, is literally hitting your tires right in the bread and butter of your power curve.

• Members

To be honest though, 1200hp is MUCH easier to keep on the ground than 7000hp. Knucklefux is right that a dragster could spin its tires all the way down the track, but we aren't talking about a 7000hp car either. We're talking about a 1200hp car, and I've seen PLENTY of this kind of HP straight up hook and do wheel stands with a trans brake, which like I said, is literally hitting your tires right in the bread and butter of your power curve.

Can, but a mustang with a live axle, on anything but a drag track with at least some pudding-soft compound tires...

• Members

Can, but a mustang with a live axle, on anything but a drag track with at least some pudding-soft compound tires...

Yeah, well I'm not a fan of IRS myself anyway :lol: I was pissed when the new camaro's came out with IRS :mad: It's better for handling though, and it definitely does improve the cars ride.

But for going straight, there's no other option :lol:

• Members

* Under full throttle, a dragster engine consumes 1 1/2 gallons of nitro per second, the same rate of fuel consumption as a fully loaded 747 but with 4 times the energy volume.

I always wondered if they meant a 747 at takeoff or at cruising altitude.

• Members

This is a stock Zr1 with DR's pulling the front wheels, even with DR's its still hard to get all the power to the ground in a street car with 500+ HP..

MF12-1.jpg
fartwheele.png

• Members

This is a stock Zr1 with DR's pulling the front wheels, even with DR's its still hard to get all the power to the ground in a street car with 500+ HP..

MF12-1.jpg
fartwheele.png

I want one of those so bad :o

It's all about suspension man. You see all these guys put as much money as possible into getting the most power out of their engines, and then they throw a set of DR on and expect it to hook. Suspension is probably the most overlooked piece of the puzzle. A stock car is designed by the manufacturer for a good ride. The ZR1 is designed from the factory with twisty corners in mind. Neither of those are going to help you hook up when you're dumping the clutch from 4k+ RPM. You have to change your angles, your springs and your dampers to properly distribute the weight shift that happens when you drop the clutch or smash the skinny pedal, or you're going to break the tires loose.

The video I posted is a good example of that. That is a 575hp motor (i said 6 to round up), and he runs low 9's...You see the Supra and Cobra guys with 650+hp running 11.5@145mph...That's because they haven't done crap to the suspension to compensate for the power. :)

• Members

2013 is the return of the 427 convertible.

I just got a Yellow 2007 z06 to modify, I want to keep the black one stock.

2014 model, coming out on fall 2013. That's what everybody's been saying. Could be wrong though.

Buying a '07 C6 is a good move though.

• Members

2014 model, coming out on fall 2013. That's what everybody's been saying. Could be wrong though.

Buying a '07 C6 is a good move though.

Not sure how I feel about the renderings but it took me awhile to warm up to the c6 body style.

I still like the looks of my c5 better.

Archived