If you can't afford a Cornford...

Duncan113

• Members

In my ongoing search for the right high gain tube amp, I realized that a Soldano, my first choice, might not be right for me. It's got gain to go with its gain, but what about the warmth, the bluesy tone and funk that Guthrie gets out of that Cornford. Yes, I know it's mainly his playing, not the amp, but my point is, if I aim at a metal amp, I'll get a great metal amp, but since my playing is more based in blues than in metal I need more information. Now old Sam Coulson gets one hell of a Gilmour tone from his Laney, he sure do. And that Steve Morse, why he can make his Engl sing like a canary in a coal mine. Or something. Then there's that Texan, by the name o' Johnson, what define some serious bluesy tone with a couple o' them Fenders an' Marshalls. My, my, a lad could die o' confusion...

• Members

Which Soldano are you referring to? I'm assuming the SLO.

The SLO is a great rock amp that can do blues just as well. I don't get the hang-up about the SLO being a primarily metal amp. It's not.

This. IIRC, Warren Haynes has been known to use SLO's.

There are quite a few amps that are often thought of as metal amps that are actually amazing for other things.

• Members

Isn't Guthrie playing Suhr Badgers now anyway? I'm pretty sure that a good Marshall and some good pedals could do the trick :)

(And the "woke up this morning"-joke was because the initial post looked more like blues lyrics than an actual question :D)

• Members

The SLO is a great rock amp that can do blues just as well. I don't get the hang-up about the SLO being a primarily metal amp. It's not.

This.

Two words: Warren Haynes. Guthrie {censored}ing Govan WISHES he had tone like that. :o

• Members

Ive never thought of soldanos as metal amps. And actually, theres a dude around here named Buster Kelly that is in a live blues band. He brought a soldano hot rod into our studio and recorded a few live blues tracks with it. Sounded AMAZING for that style. He usually uses some sort of little egnator 112 stack for his live setup along with an old ass LP and an old ass SG, both of which he has had since the 60s.

• Members

Man, this thread just reminds me how much I love different tones. I love searing high gain tones, I love classic rock crunch, I love some light breakup blues, and I love a crystal clean fat tone...It's too bad that I haven't been able to find all of that in one amp just yet.

• Members

Man, this thread just reminds me how much I love different tones. I love searing high gain tones, I love classic rock crunch, I love some light breakup blues, and I love a crystal clean fat tone...It's too bad that I haven't been able to find all of that in one amp just yet.

Sig:X, brah.

• Members

this, except you just need a few different amps.

• Members

I've seen Prince's rig and he was using SLOs and he had great tone.

• Members

this, except you just need a few different amps.

Yeah, I know that's the problem :lol:

It would be awesome if you could get the absolute best of those 4 tones, in one amp with footswitchable channels and modes (Blackface clean, Tweed Breakup, Marshall Crunch, and a SLO lead channel...these are just what I would consider pretty good channels)...I've considered drawing up plans for something like that, but I don't have the talent to pull something like that off just yet :lol:

You could run 2 power sections similar to the Mesa Blue Angel to achieve the different power amp sounds for the Tweed and Marshall channels...Would definitely be a killer amp :love:

• Members

I have, all that it totally subjective so what's right for me may not be right for you, but I haven't had amp gas since I got the shiva dialed in. It does all those tones you described perfectly to my ears. It needs a bb preamp pedal for me to do them all at the same time though in a live situation. It would be cool to have them all separate channels.

• Members

I have, all that it totally subjective so what's right for me may not be right for you, but I haven't had amp gas since I got the shiva dialed in. It does all those tones you described perfectly to my ears.

Definitely agree it's subjective, which is why it's so hard to market an amp with all those tones in one box, you know? This is why I need to figure out how to design my own :lol:

i haven't gotten to play a shiva or SigX actually...The Shiva and Ecstasy have had my attention for several years.

• Members

JVM 410 does all of those tones well once you put some better pre amp tubes in them.

Archived