EMG best pickup EVER!!!

guitarbilly74

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I switch them around from time to time too. It's really easy because EMG, being the best pickup company EVAR (
:lol:
), has the quick connect system so trying different positions is really simple
:)

True. The one thing emg has over the other in spades, is noise. They got to be the best noise free pickups out there.

• Members

True. The one thing emg has over the other in spades, is noise. They got to be the best noise free pickups out there.

Not only the pickups are super quiet but they also have such a strong output, you end up dialing less gain on your amp than you would with passives, which also ends up lowering your rig's noise level as a whole. :)

• Members

Tried them, but they are too 'sterile' to me for anything but metal and 80's clean tones, sorry.
:idk:

However, they DO sound very defined, clear, tight, articulate while being VERY hot.

Wrong :lol: EMGs are great and you know it. :) Just admit it and everything will be alright :lol:

Have you seen the Gilmour and Knopfler vids I posted? I choose them because they're neither metal nor super clean and yet they sound amazing and actually better than the same songs being played with passives :)

• Members

I definitely don't gel with EMGs whatsoever. I could use 'em if I had to, but it would make me sad. At this point, I wouldn't buy a guitar with EMGs unless I had extra spending money to swap the pickups too.

• Members

Wrong
EMGs are great and you know it.
Just admit it and everything will be alright

Have you seen the Gilmour and Knopfler vids I posted? I choose them because they're neither metal nor super clean and yet they sound amazing and actually better than the same songs being played with passives

OK, I see, the clips sound pretty good actually.

Also I said 'to me' they sound a bit sterile. ;)

I'm more into passives myself, but maybe once in a while I might pick up some guitar with EMGs.

• Members

EMGs are great, as well as other p'ups. I have them in 3 of my main guitars. I also have Duncans and Dimarzios in others.

To the guys who think the 85s are muddy in the bridge, I disagree. I have a BC Rich STIII that someone put an 81 in. Guitar was super thin sounding. Ithink it's an alder body. Threw an 85 in the bridge and it fattened it up beautifully!

• Members

I LOL'd because it is SO true. Haters will hate, but it {censored}ing works!!

I was playing EMGs 15-20 years ago and it always sounded good, then I got in the internet and read about how passives are much better, EMGs are sterile etc... decided to try passives and went through a whole bunch of them for like 15 {censored}ing years and was never 100% happy. Finally decided to try EMGs again and boom!!!.. there is my tone!! Problem solved!

internet-high-five.jpg

• Members

It depends on the guitar. I use the 81 in the bridge of Gibson-style guitars (mahogany, setneck etc..) and the 85 in the bridge of Fender-style guitars (alder/ash, bolt on etc...). The 85 does a great job fattening up a strat, while the 81 is great to tighten the low end of a Gibson.

I've only tried them in my Explorer and my Agile, but I didn't like it at all. Maybe my ears are just too used to the 81 sound as I've been using it for 15 years, but the 85 just didn't sound as defined and tight to me. Perhaps muddy isn't the right word. "Broad" maybe?

• Members

I've only tried them in my Explorer and my Agile, but I didn't like it at all. Maybe my ears are just too used to the 81 sound as I've been using it for 15 years, but the 85 just didn't sound as defined and tight to me. Perhaps muddy isn't the right word. "Broad" maybe?

Yeah in an Explorer and an Agile (LP copy I assume) the 81 is definitely the way to go. The 85 is cool for a strat bridge position.

• Members

NIIIIICE!! I've heard for some reason that EMG's won't fit in Carvins. Did you have to rout for them?

Carvin enlarged their route size when they introduced their covered pickups. The new larger routes accomidate EMG's nicely. The old routes did need a bit shaved off the corners to fit an EMG. I did this with the white V220 I posted above. It's such a small amount on the corners you can do it with a dremmel tool in like a minute.

• Members

Carvin enlarged their route size when they introduced their covered pickups. The new larger routes accomidate EMG's nicely. The old routes did need a bit shaved off the corners to fit an EMG. I did this with the white V220 I posted above. It's such a small amount on the corners you can do it with a dremmel tool in like a minute.

Good to know. I just read that in another thread earlier. Carvin plans back on!!

• Members

I really like EMG's. I like passives also and use both.

I've never been a big fan of the EMG 85 in the neck or the bridge even though it's not horrible. I prefer the EMG 60 in the neck and EMG 81 in the bridge. If you are a EMG fan I recommend trying the Hetfield EMG set. Those things sound pretty awesome. Look pretty cool also.:thu:

• Members

I really like EMG's. I like passives also and use both.

I've never been a big fan of the EMG 85 in the neck or the bridge even though it's not horrible. I prefer the EMG 60 in the neck and EMG 81 in the bridge. If you are a EMG fan I recommend trying the Hetfield EMG set. Those things sound pretty awesome. Look pretty cool also.
:thu:

I agree about the 60, it's great neck pickup. My 2 Hamers are configured with a 81/85 in one and a 85/60 in the other. The 85/60 is a great combination for classic rock, clean and blues tones while the 81/85 is the high gain combo. Between these 2 guitars (the only 2 guitars I own btw) I can cover a huge tonal ground :)

I haven't tried the Het set yet but I've heard good things about it.

• Members

EMG 81s/85s are wayyyy too hot for me. I can barely handle the fire that my Dimarzio Breed breathes in the bridge of my Carvin CT6 (I believe it's the lowest output pickup they have on their high output section). EMGs can sound really great, but the output is just too much for my style. I have never tried the 60, SAs, or other offerings though.

• Members

EMG 81s/85s are wayyyy too hot for me. I can barely handle the fire that my Dimarzio Breed breathes in the bridge of my Carvin CT6 (I believe it's the lowest output pickup they have on their high output section). EMGs can sound really great, but the output is just too much for my style. I have never tried the 60, SAs, or other offerings though.

You should try a 60/H set. The 60 sounds really cool in the bridge for lower gain, it's not high output at all and the clarity is amazing. The H is the SA but on a full humbucker housing, great pickup, nails the tone Knopfler is getting on the Brothers in Arms clip I posted (he was using a 60/SA/SA on his Suhr)

Archived