EMG best pickup EVER!!!

guitarbilly74

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I've never played a guitar with a set of EMGs. Not really my thing but I will say that I have heard some really good clips on here with EMG equipped guitars. From all the clips I've listened too they sound very clear. The cleans of course are a little sterile sounding but not as bad as I thought or as many say.

• Members

Not only for metal... let's compare

Gilmour tone with EMGs

[video=youtube;mVOHGHUiFhc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mVOHGHUiFhc&t=4m59s

:love: thick, almost humbucker-like sustain with just enough single coil bite

Now with weak ass Fender pickups

[video=youtube;jySUpMqmzd4]

:freak: kinda weak and ear piercing, despite the fact it was record 14 years later.

Come at me, bros.

• Members

Blackouts need to be lowered a pretty good amount away from the strings to sound good.. Emg's like to be close..

When I first tried the blackouts I couldn't stand them, either.. But they are way more sensitive to how hard one plays and how close they are Arty to the strings.. Mine are backed pretty far down, and with my heavy pick hand they still have a ton of output, but it's still really clear and perhaps a perfected emg, with the bigger low end and slightly brighter top..

I've found a home for Emg's in some of my guitars but they honestly don't touch a great passive like the Evh Frankenstein.. That pickup oozes so much tone and character that an emg has absolutely no chance of matching it, in terms of unique and powerful tone..

• Members

I find that EMGs have so much clarity they are really touch-dependent, players with a solid right hand like Gilmour, Hetfield, Knopfler, Wylde etc can sound absolutely amazing with them. The clarity of EMGs really brings your right hand technique to light, good or bad.

• Members

another good one.. Knopfler with EMGs

[video=youtube;gQkC_hjK-aU]

super smooth yet you hear every details of his playing with amazing clarity

Knopfler with passives:

[video=youtube;fb_Jzgnrpv8]

also good smooth tone, but a bit muffled when compared to the EMG toan.

:)

Archived