EMG best pickup EVER!!!

guitarbilly74

• Members

You should try a 60/H set. The 60 sounds really cool in the bridge for lower gain, it's not high output at all and the clarity is amazing. The H is the SA but on a full humbucker housing, great pickup, nails the tone Knopfler is getting on the Brothers in Arms clip I posted (he was using a 60/SA/SA on his Suhr)

I would except I'm happy with the Breed and I'm way too lazy to change out the electronics to accommodate EMGs. I have been thinking about grabbing a Godin Redline 1 and giving EMGs another try though.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I would except I'm happy with the Breed and I'm way too lazy to change out the electronics to accommodate EMGs. I have been thinking about grabbing a Godin Redline 1 and giving EMGs another try though.

I had a Redline I for a while and that guitar sounded WAY too bright and thin. The whole body and neck is made out of maple, and it's a small guitar to begin with. I tried the 81, 85 and 60 on it, the 85 was the best match for it but it still sounded tiny. It's a shame, because the build quality is really awesome, but they should have used mahogany or at least alder for the body.

• Members

I havnt really had too much experience with EMGs but ill admit that the old 80s schecter strat I just came accross is loaded with 3 EMG sa pickups are to my suprise pretty badass. Warm,articulate and well balanced.But the bridge pu is rather intriguing to me. It's pretty dang hot,nice and bassy but with single coil top end sizzle. Easily hangs with the output of most humbuckers in the gain department. Very unique in deed.

• Members
Someone told me you can't play pinch harmonics without EMGz.

Relevant video.

How is that video relevant? Just wondering.:confused: Sounds more like a guy that just hates actives and is pulling crap out of his ass that doesn't make much sense. I can see people prefering passives over actives. I personally like both but that guy really doesn't seem to have a clue IMO.

• Members

How is that video relevant? Just wondering.
:confused:
Sounds more like a guy that just hates actives and is pulling crap out of his ass that doesn't make much sense. I can see people prefering passives over actives. I personally like both but that guy really doesn't seem to have a clue IMO.

Concur. The guy in the video is a boob! I'm not sure if he even knows what he's on about. "I like versatility"... well, become a bisexual and stop wasting time moaning about active pickups!

• Members
Wrong
:lol:
EMGs are great and you know it.
:)
Just admit it and everything will be alright
:lol:

Have you seen the Gilmour and Knopfler vids I posted? I choose them because they're neither metal nor super clean and yet they sound amazing and actually better than the same songs being played with passives
:)

I thought the passive vids sounded better actually. The EMG's seem like they have a flat eq and with being so high output, they sound characterless with anything but high gain. Not to mention they don't work well with fuzz faces.

• Members

Here is something that I don't understand.. Or it's just a way to figure out who has actually played EMG's and who is just spouting on about what they read and heard on the internet.. Or maybe it's just my amps...

Anyway, I personally don't feel the 81 is a super high output pickup. In fact, most of my medium to high output passives have more distortion.. The 85 in the neck feels very high output and Blackouts have ridiculous output, but the 81 and 85 in the bridge don't feel that hot to me..

• Members

I find that EMGs have so much clarity they are really touch-dependent, players with a solid right hand like Gilmour, Hetfield, Knopfler, Wylde etc can sound absolutely amazing with them. The clarity of EMGs really brings your right hand technique to light, good or bad.

True, yet they absolutely murder all dynamics. Softly picked or plucked notes don't sound soft no matter what. Just less loud. I had a set of EMGs lying around and recently decided to try them out in my LP, and after using passives for years they really sound like ass through my Lonestar.

Now, metal playing is another story. I am convinced that there's nothing better for tight staccato metal playing. That's where these pickups shine. Too bad I'm not really into that anymore.

• Members

True, yet they absolutely murder all dynamics.
Softly picked or plucked notes don't sound soft no matter what. Just less loud. I had a set of EMGs lying around and recently decided to try them out in my LP, and after using passives for years they really sound like ass through my Lonestar.

Now, metal playing is another story. I am convinced that there's nothing better for tight staccato metal playing. That's where these pickups shine. Too bad I'm not really into that anymore.

:freak: no.... You get as much dynamics as with any other pickup out there. I am actually playing through a single channel amp at the moment and I go from clean to heavy by using the volume knob AND my playing dynamics, it work just fine.

Actives are not digital, or sampling or modeling, they're just a smaller pickup and an analog preamp combined into one circuit, they're as analog and dynamic as any passive pickup.

• Members

EMGs are like tofu

fake processed blandness full of estrogen

how is it processed? EMGs are 100% analog. Anyone using a clean boost between the guitar and amp are doing the same thing an EMG does internally within the pickup. Except that the EMGs use a much smaller magnet to reduce string pull and the internal preamp is pre-set to EQ and gain settings that are much more balanced, quieter and clearer than a boosted passive pickup, but it's the exact same principle.

• Members

how is it processed? EMGs are 100% analog. Anyone using a clean boost between the guitar and amp are doing the same thing an EMG does internally within the pickup. Except that the EMGs use a much smaller magnet to reduce string pull and the internal preamp is pre-set to EQ and gain settings that are much more balanced, quieter and clearer than a boosted passive pickup, but it's the exact same principle.

but more compressed

Archived