Pro guitarists with custom guitars...

sahlomonic

• Members

I've been noticing a lot of pro guitar players with Floyd Rose trems on their guitars, and no bar, and no use. For example, Zoltan from Five Finger Death Punch. Why a custom built guitar built to your specs, with a PITA trem that you don't ever use? I've noticed this with Paul Glbert too. Am I missing something? :idk:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

If you thinkthey ever actually do their own set-up on that pain in the ass tremolo, you are a {censored}ing moron.

If I were having a custom guitar built, I would have a tremolo put on it even though I don't really use it all that much. I understand how to adjust them and set them, so it wouldn't bother me. I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

• Members

I've been noticing a lot of pro guitar players with Floyd Rose trems on their guitars, and no bar, and no use. For example, Zoltan from Five Finger Death Punch. Why a custom built guitar built to your specs, with a PITA trem that you don't ever use? I've noticed this with Paul Glbert too. Am I missing something?
:idk:

I used to think Floyds were PITAs, too, until I owned one and realized it's the most tuning-stable bridge money can buy, and if you change one string at a time, it takes very little more time than a tune-o-matic style bridge.

Unless you're changing string gauges or tunings, you should almost never have to fool with adjusting the bridge level, either. Nothing "PITA" about them, IMO.

• Members

I'd rather have a hardtail bridge and a locking nut for tuning stability than a full Floyd. But, I don't like trems much, either. Or TOM/stop tailpiece bridges much, for that matter. I've owned Floyds, they're not a big deal, it's just way more machinery than I need or use, and I prefer to keep things as stupid simple as I can get away with. What with being stupid and simple myself...

• Members

I'd rather have a hardtail bridge and a locking nut for tuning stability than a full Floyd. But, I don't like trems much, either. Or TOM/stop tailpiece bridges much, for that matter. I've owned Floyds, they're not a big deal, it's just way more machinery than I need or use, and I prefer to keep things as stupid simple as I can get away with. What with being stupid and simple myself...

I built a Les Paul with this and a locking nut. I never had to loosen the nut unless I switched strings

48911.jpg

• Members

My point is, why have a feature on your custom built guitar if you won't use it? For guitarists who can have any guitar they want handed to them for free, built and painted how they want, why put a trem on it? Why not build a custom Les Paul and throw in a Floyd just for the hell of it? Maybe using the term PITA was not the right term, but why add the setup time (for whoever sets it up)? Maybe thrash metal guitarists should put Fenders and Dumbles in their rig, "just in case". Obviously I'm being extreme with that jab, but I have to wonder if there is an element I'm not thinking of with unused trems on custom built guitars.

• Members

I've owned 2 Les Pauls, 2 LTD ECs, and an ESP EC and I find that a real Floyd or an Ibanez Edge stay in tune much better for me. I don't use the bars much anymore, have them blocked from being pulled up, and have D-Tunas on the Floyd. I tune them when I get to a gig and they stay in tune the rest of the night. I've never had that kind of luck with a fixed bridge using Gibson, Grover, Schaller locking and Sperzel locking tuners.

The whole thing with Floyds is setting them up properly.

• Members

My point is, why have a feature on your custom built guitar if you won't use it? For guitarists who can have any guitar they want handed to them for free, built and painted how they want, why put a trem on it? Why not build a custom Les Paul and throw in a Floyd just for the hell of it? Maybe using the term PITA was not the right term, but why add the setup time (for whoever sets it up)? Maybe thrash metal guitarists should put Fenders and Dumbles in their rig, "just in case". Obviously I'm being extreme with that jab, but I have to wonder if there is an element I'm not thinking of with unused trems on custom built guitars.

Did you miss the part about the tuning stability? :o

• Members

Ever write a song or riff that didn't use one string? Better get a 5 string guitar for that song.

• Members

I've been noticing a lot of pro guitar players with Floyd Rose trems on their guitars, and no bar, and no use. For example, Zoltan from Five Finger Death Punch. Why a custom built guitar built to your specs, with a PITA trem that you don't ever use? I've noticed this with Paul Glbert too. Am I missing something?
:idk:

A lot of these guys have the trem blocked and like the floyd just for the tuning stability of a dual locking system.

• Members

I've owned 2 Les Pauls, 2 LTD ECs, and an ESP EC and I find that a real Floyd or an Ibanez Edge stay in tune much better for me. I don't use the bars much anymore, have them blocked from being pulled up, and have D-Tunas on the Floyd. I tune them when I get to a gig and they stay in tune the rest of the night. I've never had that kind of luck with a fixed bridge using Gibson, Grover, Schaller locking and Sperzel locking tuners.

The whole thing with Floyds is setting them up properly.

That's probably the answer I was looking for, thanks!

Next question: Are there locking bridges that are not tremolo based (other than the LP bridge posted above)?

• Members

That's probably the answer I was looking for, thanks!

Next question: Are there locking bridges that are not tremolo based (other than the LP bridge posted above)?

The Ibanez MTM1 I had a while back had a fixed Edge III with a locking nut...that bridge was super comfy and the guitar had amazing tuning stability. Don't see fixed bridges with locking nuts too often though.

• Members

As has been mentioned, a lot of people just really like how a Floyd feels under the right hand. Plus the tuning stability, a double locking design eliminates the two major points of friction which = {censored} stays in tune.

Archived