Pro guitarists with custom guitars...

sahlomonic

• Members

Are Floyd's a pita? Been playing Floyd guitars since 1989 and if a guitar doesn't have a trem it could be a deal breaker.

A Floyd guitar only takes me 5 mins to set up.
It's not like it's rocket science.

same here

If you can't set up a Floyd, you're {censored}ing stupid and probably just found out the Titanic really happened.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

This thread is stupid.

Although I'll add that floyds generally stay in tune quite well.

What irks me is that double stop bends and the whatnot go out of tune.

You can compensate a bit, but I'd sooner a fixed bridge even though I do like the feel a trem bridge gives me.

I only have one guitar with a fixed bridge actually. :lol:

• Members

I'm kind of the opposite; a Floyd on a guitar is likely a deal breaker, though I have an Edge Pro on a JEM copy I'm working on that I plan to Hendrix/Vai the hell out of. :D

The regular bridge with the Floyd appearance seems pretty cool.

• Members

My point is, why have a feature on your custom built guitar if you won't use it? For guitarists who can have any guitar they want handed to them for free, built and painted how they want, why put a trem on it? Why not build a custom Les Paul and throw in a Floyd just for the hell of it? Maybe using the term PITA was not the right term, but why add the setup time (for whoever sets it up)? Maybe thrash metal guitarists should put Fenders and Dumbles in their rig, "just in case". Obviously I'm being extreme with that jab, but I have to wonder if there is an element I'm not thinking of with unused trems on custom built guitars.

A lot of thrash dudes used strats.

That gives me another reason to post my floyd'd Im

Strat :lol:

45a44526.jpg

fe7a2c5d.jpg

• Members

Easier to bend, biches.

If it's not locked and if the springs aren't tight, IMO it can be worse because some of the tension of a bend isn't held due to the springs taking some of it. And if the technique isn't tight, sometimes other notes can be heard detuning a bit during a bend. In other words, my playing's obviously not the tightest, so I've run into that problem before. :D

• Members

2 things that put me off floyd roses.

1. PITA to intonate
2. adjusting bridge height, you'll mess the tuning stability if you do it under tension.

It's PRS trems for me. Set them up right and your guitar will stay in tune unless you like to be pretty non-musical with tremolos and just violently move the arm up and down.

• Members

I can't stand the tunomatic bridge for the feel. There I said it!!! It is just me but the "hassle" (not that it is any...once set up it can remain so either by blocking it or by using the same strings gauge etc) is worth for feel alone, though I tend to prefer what a floyd does.

For years guitarist magazine wrote along other {censored} that floyd rose bridges rob tone...I don't know what it robs in what frequency or whatever but I like it!

Also Jim Thackery put a floyd on all of his strats, said it was the best trem available and had no trouble doing double stops!

• Members

I can't stand the tunomatic bridge for the feel. There I said it!!! It is just me but the "hassle" (not that it is any...once set up it can remain so either by blocking it or by using the same strings gauge etc) is worth for feel alone, though I tend to prefer what a floyd does.

For years guitarist magazine wrote along other {censored} that floyd rose bridges rob tone...I don't know what it robs in what frequency or whatever but I like it!

Also Jim Thackery put a floyd on all of his strats, said it was the best trem available and had no trouble doing double stops!

with any kind of floating trem wouldn't a double stop bend pull the non-bent string out of tune or is it so minimal that it doesn't really matter?

• Members

No.

1. Unlock locking nut

2. Intonate like any other guitar, i.e., move the saddle where it needs to be

3. Re-lock nut when finished.

Missing a couple important steps

Granted the Floyd Intonation Tool makes it much quicker, but you still have to loosen strings so you can access the screw that holds the saddle in place on the base plate, and not shear the tensioned string. Again, my use of "PITA" was not as accurate, instead "time consuming" is more appropriate.

• Members

Missing a couple important steps

Granted the Floyd Intonation Tool makes it much quicker, but you still have to loosen strings so you can access the screw that holds the saddle in place on the base plate, and not shear the tensioned string. Again, my use of "PITA" was not as accurate, instead "time consuming" is more appropriate.

your opinion is wrong

kill yourself.

:love:

Archived